Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Collateral posted:

Not showing due difference to a subforum/thread superstar who was receiving an aggressive bum licking, and told to go away, to having a username similar to a minor African language being clear evidence of racism and cultural appropriation.

Your post has strong "what was he guilty of?" vibes: being new to these comedy forums, I guess.

You throw out a dogwhistle phrase like 'culture war', it's not surprising people are going to assume some unsaid things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You throw out a dogwhistle phrase like 'culture war', it's not surprising people are going to assume some unsaid things.

Assuming 'culture war' is a dog whistle might be part of the issue here.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Earwicker posted:

and this happened 3 times? within one month?

like i would never pretend this a lovely place is full of well adjusted people but it's also pretty easy to casually post here without ever getting dogpiled at all.

obviously some subforums are friendlier than others but there are lots and lots of places on SA where you can easily contribute to conversations about a pretty wide range of subjects without getting into any kind of conflict, even if you are new. so yeah im going to assume there's definitely still more to this than you are saying lol. if someone is getting dogpiled three times within their first month here they are almost definitely starting poo poo on purpose.

the only time ive been remotely dogpiled was when fyad posters kept saying i should post and then an IK would probe me. which in retrospect is very funny.

idk that ive ever actually been dogpiled because im generally chill lol. so, agreed - that guy was definitely saying some neolib bullshit and got called on it, or posted in cspam

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 4, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Count Roland posted:

The only people I've ever heard say "culture war" went on to follow it up with "cultural marxism" and "straight pride"

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if Collateral's son is literally the reincarnation of hitler?

I just made that up but it's not going to stop me from writing a 2 million word forums headcanon fantasy series about it called Collateral Damage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

alexandriao posted:

The only people I've ever heard say "culture war" went on to follow it up with "cultural marxism" and "straight pride"

While I was writing my post I was listening to Canada's public broadcaster interview a guy talking about culture war stuff like anti vaxxers and right wing conspiracy theories. The host and the interviewee both used the term in a mostly non-partisan way.

I've seen the term be constantly used in centrist US and international newspapers for decades, I don't recall it ever being a specifically right wing term.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Roland posted:

what are non-dog whistle usages of that phrase that apply to the context/situation in which it was used? somehow i doubt collateral's son was stirring up arguments about cultural tensions within the 19th century german catholic community.

Count Roland posted:

I've seen the term be constantly used in centrist US and international newspapers for decades, I don't recall it ever being a specifically right wing term.

it is a context dependent phrase. like yes it is indeed a broad general term, but when someone is using it to talk about all the "broken minds" here that sounds a lot more like the right wing dog whistle usage

like if someone's starting position about what happened is that the community is operating with "broken minds" i don't think it's really reasonable to assume they are making some kind of good faith argument

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

what are non-dog whistle usages of that phrase that apply to the context/situation in which it was used? somehow i doubt collateral's son was stirring up arguments about cultural tensions within the 19th century german catholic community.

it is a context dependent phrase. like yes it is indeed a broad general term, but when someone is using it to talk about all the "broken minds here" that sounds a lot more like the right wing dog whistle usage
I had the same gut reaction to Collateral's use of the word "culture war". But I also don't think that normal people who aren't terminally online broken brain leftist would think that way or immediately jump that to conclusion.

So I don't know what to say except that I would never recommend that someone I knew in real life join the forums under any circumstances and buying your son an account seems like borderline child abuse

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

I had the same gut reaction to Collateral's use of the word "culture war". But I also don't think that normal people who aren't terminally online broken brain leftist would think that way or immediately jump that to conclusion.

sure, but in this case the phrase was used by a goon complaining about their son being dogpiled in forums over not "bumlicking a forums superstar enough" or whatever, i.e. entirely online bullshit. we aren't in a cafe or a bar having a conversation about actual culture here.

like it's ok to assume people are using the "extremely online" definition of a phrase if you are in fact online and the subject of the conversation is literally forums politics

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 4, 2024

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Earwicker posted:

it is a context dependent phrase. like yes it is indeed a broad general term, but when someone is using it to talk about all the "broken minds" here that sounds a lot more like the right wing dog whistle usage

like if someone's starting position about what happened is that the community is operating with "broken minds" i don't think it's really reasonable to assume they are making some kind of good faith argument

Well this is exactly the point, right? Someone new comes into a forum to post and is attacked for being some right wing racist because apparently even terms like culture war are loaded dog whistles.

I mean maybe this guy was a literal nazi, I don't know. I don't post in those sort of threads. But I think the reaction here, in this thread about the future of the forums, is a bit telling.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Well this is exactly the point, right? Someone new comes into a forum to post and is attacked for being some right wing racist because apparently even terms like culture war are loaded dog whistles.

I mean maybe this guy was a literal nazi, I don't know. I don't post in those sort of threads. But I think the reaction here, in this thread about the future of the forums, is a bit telling.

are you saying this reaction to Collateral's post is tantamount to attacking them? has anyone accused Collateral (or anyone) of racism? i really dont see that.

i think their story doesn't really make a lot of sense but they are not exactly being dogpiled or told to go away

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

has anyone accused Collateral (or anyone) of racism? i really dont see that.
lol

it's very surprising that we don't get many new users here these days

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

let me put it this way

yes a lot of goons are unfriendly, extremely online, oversensitve etc and yes there are certain parts of this forum where if you say the wrong thing people will jump down your throat

but that only explains it happening once. seems pretty easy to take that and learn to lurk more and figure out where you fit in, if anywhere. but if someone is getting "dogpiled" multiple times within a month that sounds more like they are intentionally stirring poo poo up because again, it's really not that hard to avoid conflict here, there are many chill discussions about various subjects where no one gets heated

mystes
May 31, 2006

Earwicker posted:

let me put it this way

yes a lot of goons are unfriendly, extremely online, oversensitve etc and yes there are certain parts of this forum where if you say the wrong thing people will jump down your throat

but that only explains it happening once. seems pretty easy to take that and learn to lurk more and figure out where you fit in, if anywhere. but if someone is getting "dogpiled" multiple times within a month that sounds more like they are intentionally stirring poo poo up because again, it's really not that hard to avoid conflict here, there are many chill discussions about various subjects where no one gets heated
It is very easy to know how to avoid conflict here if you have been posting here for 20 years. New users tend to be dogpiled simply for having recent reg dates and that's before you consider stuff like knowing that if you use the word "culture war" people are going to decide you're a nazi.

The forums are incredibly insular and toxic to new users, which is why they are going to die with the current users as we get older.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

It is very easy to know how to avoid conflict here if you have been posting here for 20 years. New users tend to be dogpiled simply for having recent reg dates

honestly it seems like that tendency has declined somewhat since the days when we had people joining just to download mp3's and movies etc. but i take your point

that said, "lurk more" has been part of the forums rules and culture for a long time and therers something to be said for waiting a bit and feeling a place out before launching right in and posting a lot

quote:

knowing that if you use the word "culture war" people are going to decide you're a nazi.

i know you think it's exclusively an "extremely online" thing for some reason but i assure you the reaction to that phrase that occured itt is not specifically related to SomethingAwful in any sense. there are many, many spaces online and off in which people would have that reaction to the phrase, especially when the rest of the sentence was talking about broken minds.

quote:

The forums are incredibly insular and toxic to new users, which is why they are going to die with the current users as we get older.

you are probably right but also, a lot of the current userbase has like 20-40 years left so the question is more about how the hell are we going to run forums software with sticks and stones while living in caves

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2024

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Earwicker posted:

let me put it this way

The lack of self-awareness here is astounding.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PizzaProwler posted:

The lack of self-awareness here is astounding.

ok well if i'm being a dick and don't reazlize it i apologize, that's not my intention, but i have to admit i'm a little confused

like i understand if you disagree with what i'm saying but at what point did i accuse Collateral of being a racist or try to run them off? they literally started the whole conversation about their son etc. by saying "the culture war has broken a lot of minds here" which seems like a pretty hostile attitude before a single person even responded to them. as someone with a broken mind maybe im a bit oversensitive about it and tired of that particular line, but also seemed like kind of a sketchy and disingenuous way to frame the situation in the first place

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 5, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
After speaking to my son about the dogpiles (my term, not his) only one was on him, about the username. The others were what he observed in subjects he has an interest in, that's my fault for misunderstanding, he has made less than 10 posts total. The timeframe was 2 weeks.

Considering the general responses being that he must have been guilty of something and my post is now the thread subject, I regret bringing it up tbh, it was an example of something that had happened (and we have all seen something similar) regarding the forums and its current nature. I didn't want it to become the subject itself, he would be horrified and probably deservedly shout at me.

I should have told him to lurk more and use the forums for information only, but why would he bother, such information is readily available elsewhere. He now views the forum as an angry old persons place, which I find sad.

Back to the thread topic though:

Engagement in any subject feels like it getting harder and harder to do, even as a 10 year + poster, without unintentionally distressing someone, leading to less interest in making the effort. That is probably a me thing and I should probably just move on, but I genuinely enjoy these forums and the vast majority of posters/posts/threads and tend to avoid the obviously contentious ones. This isn't my first post on this, and I don't want to be a one-note poster, so I will make it my last on the subject.

Again, if this has distressed anyone, I apologise.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Collateral posted:

After speaking to my son about the dogpiles (my term, not his) only one was on him, about the username. The others were what he observed in subjects he has an interest in, that's my fault for misunderstanding, he has made less than 10 posts total. The timeframe was 2 weeks.

Considering the general responses being that he must have been guilty of something and my post is now the thread subject, I regret bringing it up tbh, it was an example of something that had happened (and we have all seen something similar) regarding the forums and its current nature. I didn't want it to become the subject itself, he would be horrified and probably deservedly shout at me.

I should have told him to lurk more and use the forums for information only, but why would he bother, such information is readily available elsewhere. He now views the forum as an angry old persons place, which I find sad.

Back to the thread topic though:

Engagement in any subject feels like it getting harder and harder to do, even as a 10 year + poster, without unintentionally distressing someone, leading to less interest in making the effort. That is probably a me thing and I should probably just move on, but I genuinely enjoy these forums and the vast majority of posters/posts/threads and tend to avoid the obviously contentious ones. This isn't my first post on this, and I don't want to be a one-note poster, so I will make it my last on the subject.

Again, if this has distressed anyone, I apologise.
I think it's good that you mentioned it because while I'm not saying it necessarily needs to change or anything, it's good for goons to at least be aware that this is how the forums come off to potential new users.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not Wolverine posted:

Regarding that ban, let's just say if you bring up evidence of doxxing a few admins here might just say to shut up because they have been doxxed harder than you. I get that the mods are human and make mistakes, but these same humans are also kind of flawed and biased at times, and they get to immortalize their mistakes on your profile with whatever harassing comments they want to include.

I actually read one of the PMs you sent to the admins that lead to that ban because they were reaching out to me the next day asking what the gently caress is going on. If there was something about doxxing in there, it was 100% lost in the full on "the CIA have keyloggers in my teeth" level word vomit crazy you had going on with wording and message length that varied depending on what admin you sent it to. You were going to get the "Hey, I think this user may be experiencing a mental break" kid gloves until you hit the probations = rape level of weirdness with fluffdaddy. God bless that goon for even being able to read that far in without taking too much psychic damage.

Hope you've gotten better and can contemplate drinking a shirley temple without having a total meltdown. :cheersdoge:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all take posting way too seriously. It's just words on the internet written by assholes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

That's what makes it a dog whistle lol. It's one of the reasons it's used in right wing rhetoric

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

I think it's good that you mentioned it because while I'm not saying it necessarily needs to change or anything, it's good for goons to at least be aware that this is how the forums come off to potential new users.

Conversely, I knew it was a solid place when I saw a guy go into a normal thread with a politics derail neoliberal whataboutism and immediately get probed for it. Reddit would have entertained them for months.

Social media is so *incredibly* tiring when you're a minority lol. For a variety of reasons right wing platforms get a metric shitton of time dedicated to them while the "maybe we dont want to hide or die" gets buried beneath mountains of name calling and psuedoscience, etc. You know the deal.

The result is you literally cannot give an inch, because they will take a mile. If you want a place to assign blame, maybe try there first

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 6, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the forums and I think people overagonize and get too navel-gazey about all these wide-eyed newbies getting devoured wholesale here. Something Awful's sardonic posting style is endemic to large swaths of twitter, reddit, and tumblr thanks to a lot of cross pollination there.

We could probably do something to spotlight the more sedate forums and threads though. Like showing off the fat-but-slow-moving-goats in the petting zoo.

I don't know how you get people to look at the forums besides advertising or maybe paying more youtubers to spotlight weird poo poo that's happened here.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 6, 2024

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know how you get people to look at the forums besides advertising or maybe paying more youtubers to spotlight weird poo poo that's happened here.

I know Whang! has done a couple videos where he talks about weird SomethingAwful poo poo. I think it’d be cool to see more videos about stuff that’s happened here, from both an advertising and internet-historical standpoint.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There's a pleasing symmetry between 'forum that was popular enough to charge for an account' and 'forum that has to pay people to register an account'.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

barclayed posted:

I know Whang! has done a couple videos where he talks about weird SomethingAwful poo poo. I think it’d be cool to see more videos about stuff that’s happened here, from both an advertising and internet-historical standpoint.

I saw the one he did for Swap.avi.

Was pretty good.

Is he actually a goon or just a goon sympathizer?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What if the PYF forum quotes thread was a whole forum somehow??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

syntaxfunction posted:

Y'all take posting way too seriously. It's just words on the internet written by assholes.

What is the essential nature of the forums? It is a post written by an idiot, full of misspellings and capitalized words, signifying nothing. Out, out, brief fart!

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 7, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is the essential nature of the forums? It is a post written by an idiot, full of misspellings and capitalized words, signifying nothing. Out, out, brief fart!

lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Not Wolverine posted:

Honestly, yes I have met people IRL who have said they know about Something Awful, but didn't like the general attitude of the forums. To be even more specific, I discovered these forums because I heard about SA's reputation on two different forums, SA was referred to as a hostile but knowledgeable place. Granted, that was forever ago (guessing 2007ish) but even today if I ask someone about SA they either have never heard of it and don't want to visit "some awful" website, or they will say they have heard about it, and that it is a bad place. A lot of people I know want some degree of anonymity online, both rap sheets and giving Jeffrey you credit card go against online anonymity. One nice thing about SA is the lack of obvious bots or burner accounts, but given the site's current lack of popularity I'm not sure that's entirely because of the registration fee.

And the level of knowledge has gone way down over the years in some of the forums (you can prob guess which ones)

The twitterization of SA has a lot to do with it, back in the days you had posters who wrote interesting stuff and it would at least be noticed and discussed. Nowadays for every one interesting/educational posts there's like 100x ppl just reposting hot takes from twitter randos telling said posters what they want to hear but which at times have less factual correctness than actual government propaganda. And those posts dominate discussions nowadays because tweets are by design easy to consume over longer form posts.

And it doesn't help that the forums has being around for so long there's all sorts of weird drama between various groups of posters which ummmm....the less said the better really

Count Roland posted:

a term which was coined by Gramsci (pretty famous Italian Marxist) no less

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'll take the twitterization of the forums over the stifling mod climate back in 2012. You know, the thing that killed this place.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Collateral posted:

I bought my son an account, telling him was a funny place with lots of useful information and friendly people. \

why would you do this to him

get him to introduce you to some discord servers or something lol

The userbase on discord is much more international which if you are posting about politics makes it a much more interesting experience.

Like when the Russo-Ukrainian War began I was on servers which had both Russian and Ukrainian posters living in their respective countries giving their perspective. I get to talk to Nepalese posters about their opinon of their Communist party or how this Indian poster's life is as a member of the untouchable caste, or eastern Europeans whose amazon packages got stolen by corrupt custom officials.

Meanwhile back on SA you talk to the same group of white Americans whose entire experience with non-US world seem to come from reading twitter

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That is where he is. I just wanted to...broaden his social internet landscape and have a shared experience. It didn't work.

What I didn't understand about the insular groups here is why they don't have a closed disco group, but apparently they do that as well?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah when the future of the forums was in doubt because lowtax was getting tired of grifting it a bunch of posters took their mega threads into discord and it killed activity in some threads. And also there’s the issue of tons of posters only checking bookmarked threads so some new threads just kinda fade away without much interaction cause people can’t be arsed to look at the main forum index once in a while

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Collateral posted:

That is where he is. I just wanted to...broaden his social internet landscape and have a shared experience. It didn't work.

What I didn't understand about the insular groups here is why they don't have a closed disco group, but apparently they do that as well?

yeah zoomers got this poo poo figured out a lot better than us lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah when the future of the forums was in doubt because lowtax was getting tired of grifting it a bunch of posters took their mega threads into discord and it killed activity in some threads. And also there’s the issue of tons of posters only checking bookmarked threads so some new threads just kinda fade away without much interaction cause people can’t be arsed to look at the main forum index once in a while

i think "megathreads" are also kind of an intimidating structure in and of themselves because if you are new to a discussion, you don't want to bring up something that has already been discussed to death, but it's also a lot of work to read hundreds of pages to see whether that's happened or not

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

barclayed posted:

Jeffrey paid for one of them. I think about the zookeeper stories where the people kept accidentally killing animals and then the zoo owners would cook and eat them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

yeah zoomers got this poo poo figured out a lot better than us lol

We post here friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I've found so much from this place over the years. When I couldn't find anywhere else how to get medical care for my partner, one of the UK threads told us exactly who we needed to contact. It's got me out volunteering, and into all sorts of hobbies.

I would like a second "bookmarks" page which just showed the most active threads of the day, or those with the most recent posts, over the whole place. That would be cool. The hottest threads one might get a bit stale.