Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

alexandriao posted:

That's what makes it a dog whistle lol. It's one of the reasons it's used in right wing rhetoric

It's incredible how easy it is to forget that.

----------------------

I will say that people can get clowned on for half a page even in low stakes threads (like PYF) for posting poo poo which we don't want to see in a progressive community but which is sadly enjoying widespread acceptance in more mainstream places. And if you haven't seen it happen to other people first, if you fail to read the room, if you post some poo poo and you maybe don't have good coping skills when faced with brusque criticism.. Yeah, I can see how it can come off as an attack. I haven't ended up at the receiving end of it yet, but if I did I'd probably feel like poo poo for a little while!

It's a very effective way to keep the place more pleasant, and it's probably here to stay and continue to work its magic, but we can at least be honest about the fact that there's some aggression in it, right? Useful, productive aggression that helps make SA a better, safer place than twitter or FB or whatever, but we don't have to gloss over what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Griddle of Love posted:

It's incredible how easy it is to forget that.

----------------------

I will say that people can get clowned on for half a page even in low stakes threads (like PYF) for posting poo poo that we don't want to see in a progressive community but is sadly enjoying widespread acceptance in more mainstream places. And if you haven't seen it happen to other people first, if you fail to read the room, if you post some poo poo and you maybe don't have good coping skills when faced with brusque criticism.. Yeah, I can see how it can come off as an attack. I haven't ended up at the receiving end of it yet, but if I did I'd probably feel like poo poo for a little while!

It's a very effective way to keep the place more pleasant, and it's probably here to stay and continue to work its magic, but we can at least be honest about the fact that there's some aggression in it, right? Useful, productive aggression that helps make SA a better, safer place than twitter or FB or whatever, but we don't have to gloss over what it is.

here we see the noted nazi publication "Jacobin" using the term "cultural war" as a right-wing dog whistle

no seriously tho cultural wars is used pretty ubiquitously to refer to the fights over issues like abortion and LGBTQ+ rights in the US politics today

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Typo posted:

here we see the noted nazi publication "Jacobin" using the term "cultural war" as a right-wing dog whistle

no seriously tho cultural wars is used pretty ubiquitously to refer to the fights over issues like abortion and LGBTQ+ rights in the US politics today

:confused:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What term would you use for the current situation over how people live their lives? It is hardly new, and has been going on for generations, but has become a lot more intense in recent years. Culture War is a term that is used frequently on this forum, which is why I used it, because posters know what it means.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'll take the twitterization of the forums over the stifling mod climate back in 2012. You know, the thing that killed this place.

uh, we're still posting here. just because it's not the biggest platform today doesn't mean it's been "killed".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qsvui posted:

uh, we're still posting here. just because it's not the biggest platform today doesn't mean it's been "killed".

there have been various factions of posters claiming that X or Y group of people "ruined" the forums since literally 2002.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I agree the forums are pretty insular and quick to call you a fascist. This is why I have had to actually get an AV that explains to people what a fascist is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

there have been various factions of posters claiming that X or Y group of people "ruined" the forums since literally 2002.

What would a :regd03: know about 2002 forums culture. You don't even get a smiley for your year.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah when the future of the forums was in doubt because lowtax was getting tired of grifting it a bunch of posters took their mega threads into discord and it killed activity in some threads. And also there’s the issue of tons of posters only checking bookmarked threads so some new threads just kinda fade away without much interaction cause people can’t be arsed to look at the main forum index once in a while

its because the content algorithm "every post bumps thread to top of index" is terrible. There's a reason everyone has moved on from it, but unfortunately this place has stuck to it so long that everyone either left or switched to using bookmarked threads - and then you just have the weirdos left scanning the forums index like a pre-2005 internet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dante posted:

its because the content algorithm "every post bumps thread to top of index" is terrible. There's a reason everyone has moved on from it, but unfortunately this place has stuck to it so long that everyone either left or switched to using bookmarked threads - and then you just have the weirdos left scanning the forums index like a pre-2005 internet.

I prefer the SA system and I was making GBS threads in diapers when you registered

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I only browse threads that show up in the Popular Threads section on the front page.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It was better when I registered in 2001 FOR FREE and the forums software sucked and we used all kinds of pejoratives that are unacceptable today all over our posts back then.

No, wait, that was worse in every way (except for the free part, but I agree that the reg fee introduced later prevented a lot of garbage from infiltrating here.)

I think it would be good if we had a cheap annual subscription of $5-$10 to help defray operating costs,, but it would lead to even faster forum death cuz only a tiny fraction of current users would bother or deem it worth it to pay.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

I think it would be good if we had a cheap annual subscription of $5-$10 to help defray operating costs,, but it would lead to even faster forum death cuz only a tiny fraction of current users would bother or deem it worth it to pay.
Luckily the forums have secured a lucrative sponsorship deal from schizophrenia

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I prefer the SA system and I was making GBS threads in diapers when you registered

To be fair this describes most of the people present, even if they are wearing diapers for other reasons

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

SpelledBackwards posted:

Are the operating costs a big deal at the moment? Genuinely curious, last I heard SA was doing fine financially although that was a while ago.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah in pretty sure it's profitable now the owner isn't spending it all on baked goods?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yes, the forums are financially fine, literally the biggest operational struggle is the inability to afford a full time developer to work on them because those are loving expensive.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like you were a way better poster when your entire personality wasn't " I'm a couple years younger than the average goon"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

the biggest operational struggle is the inability to afford a full time developer to work on them because those are loving expensive.

A big thing they also have to deal with is that there's going to be a fair amount of computer touchers out there who fall into groups like "disgruntled former goon", "disgruntled current goon", "permabanned rereg guy", "deranged politics poster", or "guy who's never been a goon but was scammed by goonfleet ages ago and still has a grudge about it", and none of those people should be given that kind of access to the forums.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khizan posted:

A big thing they also have to deal with is that there's going to be a fair amount of computer touchers out there who fall into groups like "disgruntled former goon", "disgruntled current goon", "permabanned rereg guy", "deranged politics poster", or "guy who's never been a goon but was scammed by goonfleet ages ago and still has a grudge about it", and none of those people should be given that kind of access to the forums.

i dont know if this is still the case, but at one point there was a whole group of people on reddit convinced that the only reason something awful even exists is to mock star citizen and persecute chris roberts, and that all of the non-star citizen related content on the forums is just some kind of elaborate cover.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There has to be a star citizen overlap with people mad we got r/jailbait shut down too.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is equally as cool as when teenage boys decide they like old-timey hats and wear fedoras in public. Delete your account and hang out on tik-tok like a normal kid instead of loitering around the online equivalent of an old folks home.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Dante posted:

This is equally as cool as when teenage boys decide they like old-timey hats and wear fedoras in public. Delete your account and hang out on tik-tok like a normal kid instead of loitering around the online equivalent of an old folks home.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oh come on, some young blood is a good thing, don't try to drive them away.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Some real :regd04: vibes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dante posted:

Dorky guys wearing fedoras all the time isn't cool, but they think it is at least. There's no way anyone registering on these forums in this day and age are doing it because they think it'll make them look cool.

Anyway, it's good when kids visit the old folks home and I much prefer SA's layout and format over reddit or some other place that incentivizes content engagement metrics and likes to keep you addicted to posting. If you don't want to sort by the most recent post in a thread, you can go to the main subforum list of threads and filter other ways. The "Filter Posts" drop down list lets you sort by thread icon. Or you can click on "Re" or "Rating" to sort by the highest/lowest number of replies and the thread's rating, if you want.

Would be nice to have some way to sort by newest thread. I think that's all I really miss.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some other forum software has a way to view all recent posts in all threads, and on SA it would probably theoretically be useful to have that for each subforum, at least for the subforums that get fewer posts than gbs and ask/tell

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Keep them the way they are. They are fine, I use these forums almost exclusively as a front-end for the actual internet.

Anything happened? Probably being posted about. Interesting topic? Probably a thread about it.

I like it just the way it is. Probably because I am also getting older. :)

I used to read the Ars forums as well, but SA has so much more interesting topics.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Keep them the way they are. They are fine, I use these forums almost exclusively as a front-end for the actual internet.

Anything happened? Probably being posted about. Interesting topic? Probably a thread about it.

I like it just the way it is. Probably because I am also getting older. :)

I used to read the Ars forums as well, but SA has so much more interesting topics.

This is my stance too.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Dante posted:

Yeah, kid! Get outta here! We're gonna be rehashing whether or not the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact (1996) was a good idea for the 853rd time, and you're gonna barge in wanting to talk about that Discovery garbage!

fuckin STD with the spore drive so they can fly thru mushroom space, who even watches this poo poo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The front page hasn't been updated in 3+ years. That was a major way new people found the forums. I found SA from Photoshop Fridays being linked on the video game blog I used to read.

Looking for Everquest stuff is how I stumbled upon Lowtax's Everquest content back in 2002. I would read every single Photoshop Phriday and there was a Lieutenant in my squadron who also enjoyed me sending picture to her from the PP's. Eventually I started reading the forums but I believe you could only read so many posts for free a day so finally in 2005 I decided to get my account. What I'm saying is I totally agree with you that a lack of updates on the homepage has probably hurt bringing in newer people

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Oh noooo the consequences of my actions haunt meeeeee

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Dorstein posted:

Oh noooo the consequences of my actions haunt meeeeee

Says the 2000 regdate

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I mean…I’ve been lurking since 2000, a member for 18 years, but it’s the only place I can come on the internet that hasn’t been totally ruined by RW Nazis. I get most of my tv and movie recommendations here, and I follow megathreads that serve as continuous newsfeeds for topics of interests.

I’m not quick witted enough to really feel like I’m a part of the community - but I’m also honored to be here (maybe honored is the wrong word)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Horrored?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
blighted

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
It's strangely beautiful, poetic even, that in such short course the thread about the future of the forums has become Exhibits A through D on why this place is so hard to stand for anyone but regulars and those who match the goon psychiatric profile.

You gotta be the right combination of extremely woke, terminally online, and alone/fat to fit in here and even then lots of users will hair-trigger stuff like using totally mainstream terms such "culture war" as some kind of far right dogwhistle. As far as many frequent users are concerned, this clubhouse ain't moving/changing, as it's one of few places online they have found refuge from people, ideas, and language that can hurt them.

I have a love/hate relationship with the forums for sure, as at its best it's one of the most intelligent, accessible, candidly funny places I've been on the internet.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Serotoning posted:

It's strangely beautiful, poetic even, that in such short course the thread about the future of the forums has become Exhibits A through D on why this place is so hard to stand for anyone but regulars and those who match the goon psychiatric profile.

You gotta be the right combination of extremely woke, terminally online, and alone/fat to fit in here and even then lots of users will hair-trigger stuff like using totally mainstream terms such "culture war" as some kind of far right dogwhistle. As far as many frequent users are concerned, this clubhouse ain't moving/changing, as it's one of few places online they have found refuge from people, ideas, and language that can hurt them.

I have a love/hate relationship with the forums for sure, as at its best it's one of the most intelligent, accessible, candidly funny places I've been on the internet.

lol

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The internet makes you stupid, I mutter out loud to myself while browsing my bookmarked megathreads that exclusively repost things from the other three websites on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The better question is why you would *want* these forums to change in order to be more popular? Look at all the big social sites, and think about the forums just becoming more like them, twitter, Reddit, other, etc.

I think I'd rather the forums die with a whimper of at least originality, or independence, than chasing becoming bigger only to just have the same problem all the other places have.

"right combination of extremely woke, terminally online, and alone/fat" is extremely stupid and dumb, but hell I'd still take it over jailbait and CHUD subreddits, the hellhole that is tweeters, or just posting thirty seconds clips about nothing for engagement bait.

If this place dies because it isn't like everything else, loving good, let it die with at least that one shred of dignity, lord knows we lost the rest already.