Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I took a hiatus around the time LowTax smacked his 3rd wife/girlfriend around. I left because I felt like the community is becoming too closed off, this place need fresh blood to survive. I came back because Reddit and Facebook both suck balls and Twitter is dead.

I thought Jeff bought the forums to try to make things better, not more of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A lot of days I think this place deserves to just die. It's pathetic that the lepers colon exists as a means to judge other users, it's too easy for people to go dig up poo poo from people's past and mock them about it. It's ridiculous the number of times people say poo poo on here like "x poster is stupid they always get probated". This site has so many posters who talk out of their rear end and have no idea what they are doing yet the mods fawn over them repeatedly. I've been probed multiple times where the mods later said "oh I messed up but who cares I can't do anything about it" so congratulations I have a scarlet letter left on my account for people to reference anytime I post. I expressed an opinion on here a long time ago, some jack rear end literally posted "I don't understand what your talking about but I know you're wrong" and I got probated because that poster was a forum favorite.

This site deserves to die because frankly the mods suck, they randomly use their own opinion not supported by rules. The fact is most of the time I personally don't feel comfortable posting on this site because so many posters repeatedly troll other posters.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

LMAO imagine giving a poo poo about a probation. Your posting vacations are your divine reward.

Also have you considered that the mods are human and work hard to keep this dead gay forum running and so it's excusable that they aren't perfect? Sometimes I worry about the mods, sometimes they get hair trigger about weird poo poo and I wonder if they're okay like personally, but at the same time I think it takes a special kind of brain damage I don't have or understand to mod a site this large so maybe that's just normal? I used to mod a Magic The Gathering site with like 1/100th this many active users and daily posts and it was hell, I can't even imagine trying to mod, like, PYF.
Typical "suck it up looser" response, that's the lovely attitude present everywhere on this site. That's the reason this place won't grow and active users are down.

To be clear, the problem is not simply mods making bad decisions but the fact that rap sheets follow users indefinitely. Even times when mods prob the wrong the person or admit they messed up it's still on your record with whatever whitty comment the mods put. The worst part is users dig through this looking for poo poo to troll each other and that is somehow seen as a good way to run a website. It's ridiculous that there are so many users known by reputation, people in forums I have never posted who other people talk about.

The rap sheets encourage harassment and exclusion, that wonderful "community feel" people say they want to preserve here is rejecting outsiders and new posters.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Ideally yes people would ignore rap sheets, and a lot of the time people do. Digging through post history is not considered doxxing, but what good purpose does it serve? Obviously, establishing a history can help the mods, but it doesn't do much good for regular users, especially when most probates are for petty offenses or mod mistakes.

Some screw ups are funny, especially when users repeatedly don't listen to advice in an unsafe way such as DIY's beam blaster J, or the mod who recommended people experiment with drugs, the bacon diet, mangosteen, etc. Some mistakes deserve to be immortalized, most rap sheets don't really serve a useful purpose.

You say people don't dig through rap sheets but yet these forums still have superstars name dropped from time to time. I can't count the number of times I've seen people accused of being a parachute account for someone they didn't like, hell it's happened to me once. I used to have an avatar someone bought me, that was referenced way more than my rap sheets, it didn't help that my history of course would link to a probate tied to the avatar. Some people realize that buying an avatar is a sign that some other user went nuts one day, but a lot of posters reference a avatars as a slight to the user with the avatar. Sure buying a avatars is funny but yet does any other community allow users to attach harassing images and text to another user's account which they cannot remove without spending money?

Sure, maybe it can be taken lightly, maybe some of it is funny but there is still a lot of potential for misuse. Rap sheets accessible to all users and the ability to buy harassing avatars are two features unique to this site which can be and have been used to promote harassing other users. I don't find joy in bullying other users, I am surprised this site makes it so easy.

Earwicker posted:

but outsiders and new posters don't have rap sheets :confused:

although personally i am guilty of assuming any "new user" is just an old user with a new account because how and why would new people come here or even find out about this place in 2024
Knowing that this site will immortalize any mistake you ever make is enough to drive away new users who lack a rap sheet. Hell I remember when the stupid newbie avatar used to be regularly brought up as a debate tactic, often accompanied by "lurk more <slur>".

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If someone is making a racist or bigoted post you can check their rapsheet and see they're a consistent piece of poo poo up to and including the current time so that's pretty useful for saving time.
I thought back seat moderating is discouraged on these forums. Besides that, unrelated post history does not effect a users present and future posts.

I am typically not offended by mild stereotype based humor. I'm under the impression that stereotype based humor is typically against the rules here but it seems to happen frequently so the rule is a little unclear here, and I prefer to avoid posting racy humor online, on any platform. That said, a racy post should be judged only by that posts in that thread or other threads addressing that particular topic. For example, if someone were to joke about a famous British person using a British stereotype that should be unrelated to and handled separately from a post that user made 10 years ago expressing their opinion about brown people. For that matter, even if someone did make a bigoted post years ago, I think so long as they don't continue posting bigoted content then it should simply be buried in the past, not preserved for future generations to judge them. Granted, maybe some offenses should be handled more seriously, like a racist joke should be treated differently than someone posting photos from their Klan/MAGA rally.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I meant you just don't bother engaging with the racist/bigot and save time but go hard on your assumptions and weird excuses I guess? You really hate rap sheets and records, okay, sure.

But also

lol what did you say?
Sorry, saying "don't engage with a bigot" is different then saying "don't engage and save time by looking up their history to see if they are a piece of poo poo." I mean if a user offends you with their post, why bother looking up their history?

As for "lol what did you say?" that's not a real response, it's only signaling to other users that you think I said something without specifying how or why what I said is wrong.

Barry Foster posted:

It seems odd that it has taken nearly 17 years for you to figure this out, but maybe these forums aren't really your cup of tea
Given the decline, I think it's safe to say these forums are not really anyone's cup of tea. Maybe it could be better if the site was not designed to make it easier to troll users but it seems the only "comedy" this place has left is bullying and harassing other users.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Let the mods do their job, if someone says something questionable either speak up or ignore it, don't drag their history into unless that poster has ban able poo poo in their past, except then it wouldn't really be a problem anyway.

And I don't really care about my rap sheet, I do care about the idea of preventing people from having access to a tool that doesn't serve a good purpose except ridiculing users. If a public rap sheet is such a good idea, why don't any other social networks implement one? Up until now I didn't think you were "loving weird" regarding things no one else gives a poo poo about.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you are worried what mostly anonymous users on a forum think about your posting history... maybe step away from the computer for a few weeks, do some IRL social activities.
IRL social activities, like what, LARPing? No thanks! I'm honestly not really worried about my post history, but at the same time, if my rap sheet truly is nothing, then how does exposing all of that to other users benefit me? I can see some value in rap sheets if you are getting trolled by a bigot with bigoted posts in their rap sheet, but otherwise I just don't really see an advantage to rap sheets. In that regard, there was recently a January 6th probate-athon to immortalize a thread about Donald Trump, that certainly seems out of spirit with the original intent of the probation system. I have a voluntary probate because some dude in AI got mad over an 18hour probate, in hindsight I regret that probation since it's essentially just me bullying that user over them having a bad day.

wesleywillis posted:

If you don't want people citing your rap sheet, retire your account and start a new one and only get kitty sixers
I don't want to be forced to pay :10bux: to clear my name, and I don't want to loose my 2007 registration date. Hell, for that matter my registration date is kind of valuable, like an NFT, I wonder if I can sell this account on ebay/SA Mart. . .

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Regarding that ban, let's just say if you bring up evidence of doxxing a few admins here might just say to shut up because they have been doxxed harder than you. I get that the mods are human and make mistakes, but these same humans are also kind of flawed and biased at times, and they get to immortalize their mistakes on your profile with whatever harassing comments they want to include.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
This is the thread asking about the future of these forums, and in my opinion making the community less hostile would be one way to ensure that there is a future for SA.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Or, and hear me out, you're really angry and people seeing fuckups you've done years ago (altho actually looking at your rapsheet for the first time "less than a month ago" isn't a long time).
Naturally, my record has been brought up a couple times in this thread, which is exactly what I have expected would happen. In that regard, yes I have somewhat minimally offered my input into the history people have brought up, and I'm not discussing them because I am angry about them.

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm not even against the idea of expiring entries on rapsheets after a year or whatever honestly (or just hidden from the public) but I don't think it has anything, at all, to do with the popularity of the forums. Polling a few people around me right now and the consensus was actually that it'd be nice to know this stuff on other social media so there's some anecdotes for you lol
Expiring rap sheets or hidden from the public after a while would be a good idea, to my knowledge no other social media has public records. That said, yes rap sheets are not the single reason why forums are no longer popular, I just don't think having rap sheets is going to help make people want to sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Earwicker posted:

do you actually know any specific people who wanted to join the forums but were kept away by these things, or is this all just speculation?

i mean you yourself seem to have no problem posting here in spite of these oppressive tactics, what makes you think they are stopping others?
Honestly, yes I have met people IRL who have said they know about Something Awful, but didn't like the general attitude of the forums. To be even more specific, I discovered these forums because I heard about SA's reputation on two different forums, SA was referred to as a hostile but knowledgeable place. Granted, that was forever ago (guessing 2007ish) but even today if I ask someone about SA they either have never heard of it and don't want to visit "some awful" website, or they will say they have heard about it, and that it is a bad place. A lot of people I know want some degree of anonymity online, both rap sheets and giving Jeffrey you credit card go against online anonymity. One nice thing about SA is the lack of obvious bots or burner accounts, but given the site's current lack of popularity I'm not sure that's entirely because of the registration fee.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am insanely happy these forums haven’t really changed since I joined. I do not like the tiered comment system of Reddit, and despite having browsed it for a decade at this point, it’s mostly been just a quick romp through some favorite subreddits for any noteworthy articles or interesting posts and maybe some meme browsing. I’ve spent way more time actually reading stuff on SA. Between having meaningful discussions presented in traditional message board style, the value (both selling and buying) I’ve gotten from SA Mart, general life advice, and media recommendations from the most random places, I’m happy to have wasted a over a literal third of my life here (more if you count lurking before actually buying an account)
Reddit's threaded view has advantages and disadvantages, it can make both easier or more difficult for a post to be overlooked. Granted, one of the annoying aspects of SA is when different people discuss more that one topic in a thread at the same time, quotes with links help keep things straight but it's not as good as a threaded-thread.

I don't hate SA, there are a lot of genuinely useful threads and knowledgeable posters on here, and there are poo poo posters too, no place is perfect. All social media sucks in some way or another, I believe SA is arguably better than Facebook or Reddit, but internet traffic and active users seems to paint a different picture. Granted, part of that is because you can have so many different secretive sub communities on Facebook or Reddit and that's not easily possible here (I've heard rumors of Lowtax hating Nazis in FYAD). That said, I think that free membership could certainly lead to more sign ups, but they would most likely be spam bots (if spammers still target SA) so that's unrealistic. But making the rap sheet expire would be a less drastic change which I think would overall be good for the community. In the interest of protecting users, I would be OK with keeping serious offenses maybe on the users rap sheet or profile in some form, but that's a bigger can of worms.