Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I bought my son an account, telling him was a funny place with lots of useful information and friendly people. He lasted about a month, I think, after the 3rd dogpile, by "allies" he told me it was just too hostile. Trying to have any kind of conversation is a minefield. Saying nothing and keeping your own council is a winning strategy, even in places where you have personal experience, because you will get screamed at or stalked.

I really think the culture war has broken a lot of minds here.

Structurally, it's fine though.

I do wonder how many previous posters just lurk now, that haven't moved on, who still read the forums out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Not showing due difference to a subforum/thread superstar who was receiving an aggressive bum licking, and told to go away, to having a username similar to a minor African language being clear evidence of racism and cultural appropriation.

Your post has strong "what was he guilty of?" vibes: being new to these comedy forums, I guess.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
After speaking to my son about the dogpiles (my term, not his) only one was on him, about the username. The others were what he observed in subjects he has an interest in, that's my fault for misunderstanding, he has made less than 10 posts total. The timeframe was 2 weeks.

Considering the general responses being that he must have been guilty of something and my post is now the thread subject, I regret bringing it up tbh, it was an example of something that had happened (and we have all seen something similar) regarding the forums and its current nature. I didn't want it to become the subject itself, he would be horrified and probably deservedly shout at me.

I should have told him to lurk more and use the forums for information only, but why would he bother, such information is readily available elsewhere. He now views the forum as an angry old persons place, which I find sad.

Back to the thread topic though:

Engagement in any subject feels like it getting harder and harder to do, even as a 10 year + poster, without unintentionally distressing someone, leading to less interest in making the effort. That is probably a me thing and I should probably just move on, but I genuinely enjoy these forums and the vast majority of posters/posts/threads and tend to avoid the obviously contentious ones. This isn't my first post on this, and I don't want to be a one-note poster, so I will make it my last on the subject.

Again, if this has distressed anyone, I apologise.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That is where he is. I just wanted to...broaden his social internet landscape and have a shared experience. It didn't work.

What I didn't understand about the insular groups here is why they don't have a closed disco group, but apparently they do that as well?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What term would you use for the current situation over how people live their lives? It is hardly new, and has been going on for generations, but has become a lot more intense in recent years. Culture War is a term that is used frequently on this forum, which is why I used it, because posters know what it means.