Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got good news and bad news.

The good news is that relatively speaking we're as unpopular as ever!

(We're that lil red bar, the rest are Instagrams, Reddits, twitter and fuckin MySpace lol)

That's right, this site truly has never mattered compared at all to whatever social media platforms are in vogue at the time. Now that's a relief!

But what about our own userbase? Well, there's good and bad news here.

So definitely a downware trend, that's bad. But what's good is we hit the bottom around 2016. That's 14 years ago. So realistically we've been dead the whole time, like that Bruce Willis movie, which is kind of cool I think.

Also these are all based of Google search trends and I'd hazard a guess that most people aren't googling random forums, and that anyone who may have heard of the forums or want to join is doing it without Google's terrible, terrible new search.

In conclusion, don't cry for us, we're already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Huh, my nap was somewhat longer than I thought it was...

I am so terrible at numbers, I haven't slept for two days lol

It was a mere eight years ago we already became the dead walking, thank you for catching that! So in other terms, two presidents ago was when we really sealed the deal. Been cruising ever since, relaxing :cool:

Earwicker posted:

i'm more interested in how we compare to our ancient enemies, ebaumsworld, fark, worth1000, and maddox.

If they're still around they're on our level of irrelevance, and if they're not then they're problem getting less interest is my guess.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If someone is making a racist or bigoted post you can check their rapsheet and see they're a consistent piece of poo poo up to and including the current time so that's pretty useful for saving time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I meant you just don't bother engaging with the racist/bigot and save time but go hard on your assumptions and weird excuses I guess? You really hate rap sheets and records, okay, sure.

But also

quote:

maybe some offenses should be handled more seriously, like a racist joke should be treated differently than someone posting photos from their Klan/MAGA rally.
lol what did you say?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Not Wolverine posted:

Sorry, saying "don't engage with a bigot" is different then saying "don't engage and save time by looking up their history to see if they are a piece of poo poo." I mean if a user offends you with their post, why bother looking up their history?
This poo poo happens all the time: someone posts something dicey, and you can't tell if it was intentional or something to go "hey don't do that" and actually resolve poo poo. Yeah, rapsheets indicate that pretty well. You don't have to like it, and it's so rarely something worth checking, but it is a pretty reliable method.

Not Wolverine posted:

As for "lol what did you say?" that's not a real response, it's only signaling to other users that you think I said something without specifying how or why what I said is wrong.
You've spent a lot of words complaining about a milquetoast rapsheet that no one else gives a poo poo about, it's loving weird. Also the debate me energy is trite as poo poo, maybe try D&D for that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can't tell if you can't read because you're so focused on your rapsheet or whether you just like ignoring things for convenience. I don't think anyone has suggested backseat modding except you saying that's what everyone is doing.

Edit: Making my stand about rapsheets in the "future of the forums" thread in AT instead of going to SAD or something, I'm somewhat of a hero.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yes, it is the existence of rapsheets that is why this forum isn't popular. You have cracked the case.

Or, and hear me out, you're really angry and people seeing fuckups you've done years ago (altho actually looking at your rapsheet for the first time "less than a month ago" isn't a long time).

I'm not even against the idea of expiring entries on rapsheets after a year or whatever honestly (or just hidden from the public) but I don't think it has anything, at all, to do with the popularity of the forums. Polling a few people around me right now and the consensus was actually that it'd be nice to know this stuff on other social media so there's some anecdotes for you lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If I'm making a random username for my account, but my anonymity gets broken because someone can connect what I get probated and banned for to my real life then I think I would have far bigger issues in my life.

"Forums user shitpisser420 was an unknown until they got hit with a 6er for equating abortion rights with saying slurs in games, and right then we knew exactly who they were" like drat, what are you doing in the real world

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"Dogpiled by "allies"" I'd take a wild guess they went to, like, D&D or TMR and said some poo poo. Which in fairness it's really easy to upset people over there.

Edit: also saying it was because of culture war stuff, my money is on saying something not okay to a thread and then getting salty they got mad at "one of their own".

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes it is really easy to upset people tho, and not even by saying something edgy. The right threads on the right subforums and you can reply to a dumb post and say "your dum" and people will get very mad.

Holy poo poo what if the guy was commenting on people's rapsheets? Full loving circle, people. Through the looking glass.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Y'all take posting way too seriously. It's just words on the internet written by assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The better question is why you would *want* these forums to change in order to be more popular? Look at all the big social sites, and think about the forums just becoming more like them, twitter, Reddit, other, etc.

I think I'd rather the forums die with a whimper of at least originality, or independence, than chasing becoming bigger only to just have the same problem all the other places have.

"right combination of extremely woke, terminally online, and alone/fat" is extremely stupid and dumb, but hell I'd still take it over jailbait and CHUD subreddits, the hellhole that is tweeters, or just posting thirty seconds clips about nothing for engagement bait.

If this place dies because it isn't like everything else, loving good, let it die with at least that one shred of dignity, lord knows we lost the rest already.