Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think the cost to join is a feature. It helps drive away bots and other scammy accounts that plague so much of the internet. Even if it cost just 1$ it would serve the purpose of filtering out a lot of undesirables.

What else do people even use? Obviously there's reddit and social media. I think a lot of people are getting burnt out on those. There's discord of course. Are there any other big BBcode forums still around? Or other alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

retnuha posted:

I think as someone who is the rare new user I'd like to comment that I think the value of these forums is that it does feel like a small community of people who can slow down and have more of a conversation.

I got unhappy with new social media cause it felt like my brain was rotting and people would constantly just parrot the same received wisdom at each other.

I don't know that a ton of new people would maintain that vibe but I feel like if others end up in the same situation as me there may be something of a newbie boom not enough to stop the decline just slow it for a bit the Internet tends to be unpredictable.

Sorry for the long post.

How did you come across SA at all?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not Wolverine posted:

A lot of days I think this place deserves to just die. It's pathetic that the lepers colon exists as a means to judge other users, it's too easy for people to go dig up poo poo from people's past and mock them about it. It's ridiculous the number of times people say poo poo on here like "x poster is stupid they always get probated". This site has so many posters who talk out of their rear end and have no idea what they are doing yet the mods fawn over them repeatedly. I've been probed multiple times where the mods later said "oh I messed up but who cares I can't do anything about it" so congratulations I have a scarlet letter left on my account for people to reference anytime I post. I expressed an opinion on here a long time ago, some jack rear end literally posted "I don't understand what your talking about but I know you're wrong" and I got probated because that poster was a forum favorite.

This site deserves to die because frankly the mods suck, they randomly use their own opinion not supported by rules. The fact is most of the time I personally don't feel comfortable posting on this site because so many posters repeatedly troll other posters.

The parts of this forum I frequent are very well modded. I have no complaints there at all.

The rap sheet could maybe use a statue of limitations whereby old infractions expire and are no longer visible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hotel Kpro posted:

Watching other forums slip into nonexistence is generally sad, like seeing the Ambrosia software boards go down when they finally went under. On the other hand I was on a forum someone created for Air Force enlisted scrubs and it was run by a good ol’ boy/girl club so it was hilarious to see the demise of them. Everyone ended up on Reddit as far as I know

poo poo, I spent time on Ambrosia's forums. Wasn't my main forum but I loved EV and Ares.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You throw out a dogwhistle phrase like 'culture war', it's not surprising people are going to assume some unsaid things.

Assuming 'culture war' is a dog whistle might be part of the issue here.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

alexandriao posted:

The only people I've ever heard say "culture war" went on to follow it up with "cultural marxism" and "straight pride"

While I was writing my post I was listening to Canada's public broadcaster interview a guy talking about culture war stuff like anti vaxxers and right wing conspiracy theories. The host and the interviewee both used the term in a mostly non-partisan way.

I've seen the term be constantly used in centrist US and international newspapers for decades, I don't recall it ever being a specifically right wing term.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Earwicker posted:

what are non-dog whistle usages of that phrase that apply to the context/situation in which it was used? somehow i doubt collateral's son was stirring up arguments about cultural tensions within the 19th century german catholic community.

it is a context dependent phrase. like yes it is indeed a broad general term, but when someone is using it to talk about all the "broken minds" here that sounds a lot more like the right wing dog whistle usage

like if someone's starting position about what happened is that the community is operating with "broken minds" i don't think it's really reasonable to assume they are making some kind of good faith argument

Well this is exactly the point, right? Someone new comes into a forum to post and is attacked for being some right wing racist because apparently even terms like culture war are loaded dog whistles.

I mean maybe this guy was a literal nazi, I don't know. I don't post in those sort of threads. But I think the reaction here, in this thread about the future of the forums, is a bit telling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oh come on, some young blood is a good thing, don't try to drive them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

alexandriao posted:

those are both taken from the current political climate, lmao. It is an analogy

Its these sorts of posts that keep me away from much of the forums. Righteously slaying strawmen, smugly mocking any potential critics. Hardly unique to SA, it is found everywhere online to some extent. But on SA there are threads that don't have this, which I attribute partly to the BBCode forum. When posts are algorithmically sorted or ranked by popularity these sorts of posts rise to the top because they invite aggressive agreement or disagreement. On this sort of forum it is at least possible to have long term discussions where actual ideas are presented and where others are engaged and willing to critique or contribute, etc. Actual discussions may not be common but at least they're possible here, as opposed to somewhere like Twitter where they are not.