Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

alexandriao posted:

That's what makes it a dog whistle lol. It's one of the reasons it's used in right wing rhetoric

It's incredible how easy it is to forget that.

----------------------

I will say that people can get clowned on for half a page even in low stakes threads (like PYF) for posting poo poo which we don't want to see in a progressive community but which is sadly enjoying widespread acceptance in more mainstream places. And if you haven't seen it happen to other people first, if you fail to read the room, if you post some poo poo and you maybe don't have good coping skills when faced with brusque criticism.. Yeah, I can see how it can come off as an attack. I haven't ended up at the receiving end of it yet, but if I did I'd probably feel like poo poo for a little while!

It's a very effective way to keep the place more pleasant, and it's probably here to stay and continue to work its magic, but we can at least be honest about the fact that there's some aggression in it, right? Useful, productive aggression that helps make SA a better, safer place than twitter or FB or whatever, but we don't have to gloss over what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Typo posted:

here we see the noted nazi publication "Jacobin" using the term "cultural war" as a right-wing dog whistle

no seriously tho cultural wars is used pretty ubiquitously to refer to the fights over issues like abortion and LGBTQ+ rights in the US politics today

:confused: