Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Insanitylad posted:

There are still active threads from years ago...hell there is a thread in ask/tell with over 30000 replies. How is anyone supposed to catch up and be a part of the conversation in something like that?

with most of those threads you only need to read the last couple pages to be "caught up" enough to join the conversation.

there are also several shorter threads you could join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its very much a personal preference, and like 15 years ago there were several major web forum platforms that simply allowed the user to choose between threaded vs chain view, which makes a lot more sense than what either sa or reddit do, but its kind of an archaic format either way

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if we want the forums to become popular again we should get back into the piracy business. all the big streaming companies are disappearing their shows and movies as part of some tax scam its important archival work to keep art alive

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It also rewards things that sound true or things the community believes over reality. Every subreddit ends up as its own little echo chamber where the same ideas are cargo culted day in and day out and people are routinely removed for pointing this out.

there are some subreddits where everyone just shitposts and that seems to reduce the echo chamber tendency.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i see a 2023 reg date i tend to just assume that an old goon made a new account for some reason. its hard to imagine why anyone new would pay $10 to join a web forum

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Do we have any current content?

there are still occasional photoshop threads in gbs, which were one of the main content drivers of the site for years but back then the best stuff from those threads would be posted to the front page, which has not been updated in years.

also there were far fewer other places to get that kind of content in the early 00's compared to now, when one can find silly photoshops and memes and parodies etc pretty much anywhere in the social media world

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

That's right, this site truly has never mattered compared at all to whatever social media platforms are in vogue at the time. Now that's a relief!

i'm more interested in how we compare to our ancient enemies, ebaumsworld, fark, worth1000, and maddox.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

The rap sheets encourage harassment and exclusion, that wonderful "community feel" people say they want to preserve here is rejecting outsiders and new posters.

but outsiders and new posters don't have rap sheets :confused:

although personally i am guilty of assuming any "new user" is just an old user with a new account because how and why would new people come here or even find out about this place in 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

Knowing that this site will immortalize any mistake you ever make is enough to drive away new users who lack a rap sheet.

do you actually know any specific people who wanted to join the forums but were kept away by these things, or is this all just speculation?

i mean you yourself seem to have no problem posting here in spite of these oppressive tactics, what makes you think they are stopping others?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

neither SA's style nor reddit's are more "traditional" than the other, "threaded-view" vs "linear view" (sometimes "flat view") are the basic options that used to come with just about any forum software. back when there were a ton of forums about all kinds of stuff, both modes were common and lots of forums simply let the user choose which view they preferred (which still seems like the best solution to me but whatever)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

A lot of people I know want some degree of anonymity online, both rap sheets and giving Jeffrey you credit card go against online anonymity.

what does a rap sheet have to do with online anonymity? rap sheets exclusively cover violations of forums rules or sometimes just weird inside jokes and poo poo, at no point do they involve anyone's irl identity

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Collateral posted:

Not showing due difference to a subforum/thread superstar who was receiving an aggressive bum licking, and told to go away, to having a username similar to a minor African language being clear evidence of racism and cultural appropriation.

and this happened 3 times? within one month?

like i would never pretend this a lovely place is full of well adjusted people but it's also pretty easy to casually post here without ever getting dogpiled at all.

obviously some subforums are friendlier than others but there are lots and lots of places on SA where you can easily contribute to conversations about a pretty wide range of subjects without getting into any kind of conflict, even if you are new. so yeah im going to assume there's definitely still more to this than you are saying lol. if someone is getting dogpiled three times within their first month here they are almost definitely starting poo poo on purpose.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Assuming 'culture war' is a dog whistle might be part of the issue here.

what are non-dog whistle usages of that phrase that apply to the context/situation in which it was used? somehow i doubt collateral's son was stirring up arguments about cultural tensions within the 19th century german catholic community.

Count Roland posted:

I've seen the term be constantly used in centrist US and international newspapers for decades, I don't recall it ever being a specifically right wing term.

it is a context dependent phrase. like yes it is indeed a broad general term, but when someone is using it to talk about all the "broken minds" here that sounds a lot more like the right wing dog whistle usage

like if someone's starting position about what happened is that the community is operating with "broken minds" i don't think it's really reasonable to assume they are making some kind of good faith argument

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 4, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

I had the same gut reaction to Collateral's use of the word "culture war". But I also don't think that normal people who aren't terminally online broken brain leftist would think that way or immediately jump that to conclusion.

sure, but in this case the phrase was used by a goon complaining about their son being dogpiled in forums over not "bumlicking a forums superstar enough" or whatever, i.e. entirely online bullshit. we aren't in a cafe or a bar having a conversation about actual culture here.

like it's ok to assume people are using the "extremely online" definition of a phrase if you are in fact online and the subject of the conversation is literally forums politics

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 4, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Well this is exactly the point, right? Someone new comes into a forum to post and is attacked for being some right wing racist because apparently even terms like culture war are loaded dog whistles.

I mean maybe this guy was a literal nazi, I don't know. I don't post in those sort of threads. But I think the reaction here, in this thread about the future of the forums, is a bit telling.

are you saying this reaction to Collateral's post is tantamount to attacking them? has anyone accused Collateral (or anyone) of racism? i really dont see that.

i think their story doesn't really make a lot of sense but they are not exactly being dogpiled or told to go away

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

let me put it this way

yes a lot of goons are unfriendly, extremely online, oversensitve etc and yes there are certain parts of this forum where if you say the wrong thing people will jump down your throat

but that only explains it happening once. seems pretty easy to take that and learn to lurk more and figure out where you fit in, if anywhere. but if someone is getting "dogpiled" multiple times within a month that sounds more like they are intentionally stirring poo poo up because again, it's really not that hard to avoid conflict here, there are many chill discussions about various subjects where no one gets heated

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mystes posted:

It is very easy to know how to avoid conflict here if you have been posting here for 20 years. New users tend to be dogpiled simply for having recent reg dates

honestly it seems like that tendency has declined somewhat since the days when we had people joining just to download mp3's and movies etc. but i take your point

that said, "lurk more" has been part of the forums rules and culture for a long time and therers something to be said for waiting a bit and feeling a place out before launching right in and posting a lot

quote:

knowing that if you use the word "culture war" people are going to decide you're a nazi.

i know you think it's exclusively an "extremely online" thing for some reason but i assure you the reaction to that phrase that occured itt is not specifically related to SomethingAwful in any sense. there are many, many spaces online and off in which people would have that reaction to the phrase, especially when the rest of the sentence was talking about broken minds.

quote:

The forums are incredibly insular and toxic to new users, which is why they are going to die with the current users as we get older.

you are probably right but also, a lot of the current userbase has like 20-40 years left so the question is more about how the hell are we going to run forums software with sticks and stones while living in caves

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PizzaProwler posted:

The lack of self-awareness here is astounding.

ok well if i'm being a dick and don't reazlize it i apologize, that's not my intention, but i have to admit i'm a little confused

like i understand if you disagree with what i'm saying but at what point did i accuse Collateral of being a racist or try to run them off? they literally started the whole conversation about their son etc. by saying "the culture war has broken a lot of minds here" which seems like a pretty hostile attitude before a single person even responded to them. as someone with a broken mind maybe im a bit oversensitive about it and tired of that particular line, but also seemed like kind of a sketchy and disingenuous way to frame the situation in the first place

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 5, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah when the future of the forums was in doubt because lowtax was getting tired of grifting it a bunch of posters took their mega threads into discord and it killed activity in some threads. And also there’s the issue of tons of posters only checking bookmarked threads so some new threads just kinda fade away without much interaction cause people can’t be arsed to look at the main forum index once in a while

i think "megathreads" are also kind of an intimidating structure in and of themselves because if you are new to a discussion, you don't want to bring up something that has already been discussed to death, but it's also a lot of work to read hundreds of pages to see whether that's happened or not

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qsvui posted:

:confused:

uh, we're still posting here. just because it's not the biggest platform today doesn't mean it's been "killed".

there have been various factions of posters claiming that X or Y group of people "ruined" the forums since literally 2002.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khizan posted:

A big thing they also have to deal with is that there's going to be a fair amount of computer touchers out there who fall into groups like "disgruntled former goon", "disgruntled current goon", "permabanned rereg guy", "deranged politics poster", or "guy who's never been a goon but was scammed by goonfleet ages ago and still has a grudge about it", and none of those people should be given that kind of access to the forums.

i dont know if this is still the case, but at one point there was a whole group of people on reddit convinced that the only reason something awful even exists is to mock star citizen and persecute chris roberts, and that all of the non-star citizen related content on the forums is just some kind of elaborate cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was literally one specific form of "naughtiness" that was proven to be a major attractor to the forums: piracy

like i dont know what kind of "naughty humor" that is currently prohibited or even frowned on here on SA that would bring people here if it was allowed, because there are currently a million places all over the internet where you can find every possible take on edgy humor, there's nothing unique or compelling about that at all.

also pretty sure the reason the front page isnt a thing is because no one is putting any effort into running it and coming up with a program to pay writers a competitive rate and so on. nothing to do with naughty jokes

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 9, 2024