Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

It’s completely useless for discussion as the voting system rewards a pithy one liner more than a salient point because 99% of humanity are idiots. Small curated subreddits can be all right but most of them are like reading the dialogue in a marvel movie.

It also rewards things that sound true or things the community believes over reality. Every subreddit ends up as its own little echo chamber where the same ideas are cargo culted day in and day out and people are routinely removed for pointing this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

But what's good is we hit the bottom around 2016. That's 14 years ago.

Huh, my nap was somewhat longer than I thought it was...

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Not Wolverine posted:

A lot of days I think this place deserves to just die. It's pathetic that the lepers colon exists as a means to judge other users, it's too easy for people to go dig up poo poo from people's past and mock them about it. It's ridiculous the number of times people say poo poo on here like "x poster is stupid they always get probated". This site has so many posters who talk out of their rear end and have no idea what they are doing yet the mods fawn over them repeatedly. I've been probed multiple times where the mods later said "oh I messed up but who cares I can't do anything about it" so congratulations I have a scarlet letter left on my account for people to reference anytime I post. I expressed an opinion on here a long time ago, some jack rear end literally posted "I don't understand what your talking about but I know you're wrong" and I got probated because that poster was a forum favorite.

This site deserves to die because frankly the mods suck, they randomly use their own opinion not supported by rules. The fact is most of the time I personally don't feel comfortable posting on this site because so many posters repeatedly troll other posters.

LMAO imagine giving a poo poo about a probation. Your posting vacations are your divine reward.

Also have you considered that the mods are human and work hard to keep this dead gay forum running and so it's excusable that they aren't perfect? Sometimes I worry about the mods, sometimes they get hair trigger about weird poo poo and I wonder if they're okay like personally, but at the same time I think it takes a special kind of brain damage I don't have or understand to mod a site this large so maybe that's just normal? I used to mod a Magic The Gathering site with like 1/100th this many active users and daily posts and it was hell, I can't even imagine trying to mod, like, PYF.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Not Wolverine posted:

Typical "suck it up looser" response, that's the lovely attitude present everywhere on this site. That's the reason this place won't grow and active users are down.

To be clear, the problem is not simply mods making bad decisions but the fact that rap sheets follow users indefinitely. Even times when mods prob the wrong the person or admit they messed up it's still on your record with whatever whitty comment the mods put. The worst part is users dig through this looking for poo poo to troll each other and that is somehow seen as a good way to run a website. It's ridiculous that there are so many users known by reputation, people in forums I have never posted who other people talk about.

The rap sheets encourage harassment and exclusion, that wonderful "community feel" people say they want to preserve here is rejecting outsiders and new posters.

A probe is a light bap on the nose to correct lovely behavior. We've all had off days where we've been poo poo, so we've all been probed. A ban is a ten-dollar ticket for crossing a line. A great many of us have done that too. I know you care about yours a lot but you should know that nobody else does, and digging through your Rap Sheet is helldumpy behavior and will get people that do it bapped on the nose in the grey forums. My probation history (aside from the animals which I put there in a bad time when I was very sad) is nothing more than a history of bad days with my addictions and mental health trubs, and if anyone wants to attack me for that, for being human, hell, more power to 'em. They'll maybe get bapped and I won't care much, because I own that as part of my identity, it's fundamental to who I am. Also I'm sure some of my probes reflect more on the mod that submitted them than they do on me, because that's just how it is some days. Ah well, a six hour break from my posting pals, whatever.

It's like how people fixate on their own fuckups but can't recall a single fuckup anyone else did ever. It seriously only matters to you. I opened your Rap Sheet but my eyes honestly just slide right off, it just looks like you maybe did some petty dramas but like, i literally can't bring myself to read a single one. There's a picture of a mail truck, that's my takeaway, who gives a poo poo? Fuckin twelve entries in 17 years, you're a goddamned saint. Maybe you're right, maybe Rap Sheet entries should expire, I don't think that's a bad idea at all, but I also think the kind of people who will read through your rap sheet and attack you over things you did way back when are lovely people who need to be filtered out one way or another, and will keep being lovely people even if we take that most visible lovely-people-tool away from them, so like whatever. Maybe it's better to use it as a lovely-person discriminator.

To be clear, I'm not telling you to suck anything up, and I don't think you're a looser. I'm not having a lovely attitude here, we are posting brothers (or sisters or whatever you want us to be) and I want you to have a good time here with the rest of us and not worry about a silly rap sheet. You can even buy a new account if it bothers you. I can tell you that I used to have a different name (same account) and I was a much worse poster then, but now that I have a new name that I think is better and not something I've ever used before I feel free and cool and good and I post better and care less and have a healthier relationship with the forums. Maybe you just need a change like that? But also you're not a Posting Superstar. I'm not either (i hope). That means we're kind of forgettable nobodies and can blend into the background if we want, or if the heat gets too much we can fall off a particular thread or subforum for a bit and come back awhile later and people just kind of won't remember us. That's great, it's like a superpower, and it means that unless you choose to drag that stuff back in with you when you return, it's just kind of gone. Take advantage of that. Don't try and build up a posting identity nobody will remember but you and just be chill and yourself and it'll all work out. We've got lots of cool poo poo going on all over the forums and there's loads of neat threads where you can participate or just read if you want and just kind of hang out and enjoy it. Or maybe it's not for you and that's cool and that's fine but I want you to know we're still posting buds and I appreciated our time here together and I hope you really do have a great life.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You seem to be fixated on your rap sheet specifically and forum punishments more gemerally in an extremely unhealthy way, friend.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Next time I go to a convention I'm gonna dress up as my avatar and run around doing Man On The Street style interviews.

"Hi my name is poo poo Fuckasaurus and people are dying to know, why haven't you signed up to our dead, gay forums?"

I'll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

wesleywillis posted:

Next gooncon should either:

Check people's rapsheets before letting them in (no refunds for already purchased tickets obviously) and not let them enter if they have more than X number of probes or bans

OR

They can get in but they have to print out their user names and their worst rap sheet offences and tape that to their backs and walk around the con like that. People with lesser offenses can openly make fun of or berate them consequence free.

If they do that for the entire day, they get those particular (the worst offenses) expunged from their records.

Well it can't be Option A, I have waaaay too many cute animal probes. B is fine, but we should just screen-print it on the back of the con-shirt.