Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/WonderbreadMMA/status/1655829097355030528?t=Ix0DUlMUEEOlYPiJmMxkIw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
lol, I think this guy is serious

quote:

This is just a lil misleading considering slap is exclusive to rumble. Rumble is big enough rn to be included in these grafs.

I am not defending that garbage, just tryna help ya be as objective as possible

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CellBlock posted:

How dangerous does something have to be to be in the "freakshow" category? Can a combat sport just be weird/dumb?

Basically, I'm thinking of Car-Jitsu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCBEqKoJ5s
Car-Jitsu looks like something that a grifter would sell to the kind of White Dads who think MS-13 and BLM Antifa Knockout Game Thugs are hiding behind every bush in their gated community.

Freakshows don't have to be dangerous, I don't think. What makes something a freakshow is when the pure spectacle and novelty are way more important than athletic competition. You could say that all of MMA before a certain point was the Freakshow Era. There was a big emphasis on style vs. style and the idea that the rules were trying to simulate who "would have won" in a "real fight," whatever that means.

I started by going through rules changes one by one, but that's just a timeline. Introducing the Unified Rules at UFC 28 in 2000 is a big landmark, but I think the essential elements that made MMA a real competitive sport were in place before that. By the end of 1999 you've got weight classes, rounds, a judging and scoring system, a referee who has authority over the in-ring action, and rules on acceptable striking zones and banned techniques. And the UFC has seen its last tournament where fighters have more than one match in a single night.

They kept listing fighters' "discipline" until UFC 38, but it had been vestigial for a long while. The sumo wrestlers, ninjas, and pit fighters were pretty much gone by '99.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
You were right, youtube boxing is now just everyone

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1657442977667530754

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If I remember my Stranglemania correctly, the technical term for these fighters is "big fat slops of gently caress."

bartok
May 10, 2006

Is that athletic tape keeping up Boogie's trunks?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It didn't work

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

It does but the thread got shut down because of poop touching and some weird poo poo involving the KSA

Street Beefs live from Jeddah on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia would rule

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

delfin posted:

If I remember my Stranglemania correctly, the technical term for these fighters is "big fat slops of gently caress."

I love Stranglemania so much

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SalTheBard posted:

For Fight Circus, there have been 6 of them. Would you like show by show reviews (broken up into individual posts) or would you all be more interested in a "General Overview of Fight Circus"

I think I’m your target audience, I want to know what I’m looking at and what would be a good sample of what a FC event is like. All I think I know is that it’s some kind of zany matchups that are akin to the grandfather & grandson vs rando trashweight Russian MMA fight we’d occasionally see in the main MMA thread. But like better showmanship? Is that even close?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You were right, youtube boxing is now just everyone

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1657442977667530754

Man, I don't care if you're a big fat piece of poo poo if you can fuckin' bang. This is just two sad guys petting each other's heads with boxing gloves.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It makes me sad that both Boogie and Wings are reduced to this. They were both really fun 2010s YouTubers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
salute to anyone who gets in the ring. but you are supposed to fight in there.

bartok
May 10, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

It makes me sad that both Boogie and Wings are reduced to this. They were both really fun 2010s YouTubers.

The Irate Gamer vs The Nostalgia Critic when?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'll pay to watch the Nostalgia Critic fight if it's against Francis Ngannou.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Streetbeefs has done it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FzYxskRWRY

for those of you afraid to click on a streetbeefs:

Scarface opens with an appeal and a gofundme for a recently murdered streetbeefer
then an old man absolutely tools a yard boy.
scarface then puts over the old guy

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 16, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheKingslayer posted:

Man, I don't care if you're a big fat piece of poo poo if you can fuckin' bang. This is just two sad guys petting each other's heads with boxing gloves.

Total combined weight at the official weigh in was 795.9 pounds and 85 years combined age. Needless to say, these guys ain't got much cardio.

And yes, they had to stop mid-round in round 1 to tape Boogie's trunks on.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

coconono posted:

Streetbeefs has done it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FzYxskRWRY

for those of you afraid to click on a streetbeefs:

Scarface opens with an appeal and a gofundme for a recently murdered streetbeefer
then an old man absolutely tools a yard boy.
scarface then puts over the old guy

Is it not kosher to discuss streetbeefs here? I don’t know the posters who crossed the line but they got permas for freak poo poo right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This thread seems like THE place for Streetbeefs talk on SA if there ever was one. :shrug:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I just don’t want to dig into it if the first threads drama was too messy. I’m not a regular here

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i know literally nothing about the first streetbeefs thread or any of the drama. would love to know more about both Streetbeefs and the SA drama

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:same:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The streetbeefs drama was similar to the slap drama in that it originally came from streetbeefs stuff getting posted in the UFC thread, which grossed some folks out because streetbeefs is, y'know, streetbeefs, and that's what led to the launching of the specific streetbeefs thread.

It got real popular for awhile, and then, in fairly rapid fire,
  • Scarface, the guy who 'ran' streetbeefs, turned out to shockingly be kind of an exploitative jerk who was making money off the fighters without, you know, paying them
  • Mel Mudkiper, the forums poster who started the streetbeefs thread and largely kept it alive, aside from just being a huge dick, turned out to be working in education in some part with the House of Saud's Vision 2030 program and was basically chased out of the forum
  • firechicken, a forum member and streetbeefs enthusiast, turned very quickly into running their own streetbeefs without licensing, money or medical testing/supervision while planning and advertising it on SA, which as a plus was also scheduled to begin right in the middle of the pandemic
Scarface went into temporary legal hiding, Mel Mudkiper went into what they describe as self-imposed forum exile having nothing to do with everyone telling them to gently caress off everytime they posted, and firechicken deleted most of their posts and self-banned, and the thread was goldmined and never remade.

Which, in hindsight, how else could the streetbeefs thread have possibly ended but that. It was perfect. Streetbeefs itself has continued on, as far as I know.

I personally feel like streetbeefs discussion fits into this thread, but I Am Not A Mod.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

The streetbeefs drama was similar to the slap drama in that it originally came from streetbeefs stuff getting posted in the UFC thread, which grossed some folks out because streetbeefs is, y'know, streetbeefs, and that's what led to the launching of the specific streetbeefs thread.

• Scarface, the guy who 'ran' streetbeefs, turned out to shockingly be kind of an exploitative jerk who was making money off the fighters without, you know, paying them
  • Mel Mudkiper, the forums poster who started the streetbeefs thread and largely kept it alive, aside from just being a huge dick, turned out to be working in education in some part with the House of Saud's Vision 2030 program and was basically chased out of the forum
  • firechicken, a forum member and streetbeefs enthusiast, turned very quickly into running their own streetbeefs without licensing, money or medical testing/supervision while planning and advertising it on SA, which as a plus was also scheduled to begin right in the middle of the pandemic
Scarface went into temporary legal hiding, Mel Mudkiper went into what they describe as self-imposed forum exile having nothing to do with everyone telling them to gently caress off everytime they posted, and firechicken deleted most of their posts and self-banned, and the thread was goldmined and never remade.

Which, in hindsight, how else could the streetbeefs thread have possibly ended but that. It was perfect. Streetbeefs itself has continued on, as far as I know.

I personally feel like streetbeefs discussion fits into this thread, but I Am Not A Mod.

And now Mighty Mouse does Street Beefs reactions on his youtube channel when he isn't playing Tarkov or Elden Ring

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was everything I hoped for and more

:discourse:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I can't explain how wtf the Saudi stuff felt in it was being revealed

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

just when you think the forum is dead and doesn't have any insane drama left in her, the ol' girl proves she's still got it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to add on the firechicken saga - he was a street beefs fighter who somehow found out about the thread and joined SA because he thought he'd be a big poo poo with fans here and then got mad when people called out his bad plan.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

What thread had the GamerGate breakdown?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

Just to add on the firechicken saga - he was a street beefs fighter who somehow found out about the thread and joined SA because he thought he'd be a big poo poo with fans here and then got mad when people called out his bad plan.

i made fun of hosting it during covid very lightly and he exploded at it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CarlCX posted:

That owns. I think I stopped checking before fire chicken started a spin-off but I remember them posting a lot

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ARMBAR A COP posted:

How the hell did it come up talking about ppl making each other barf in t he hills of Virginia

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Was fire chicken the guy that went to jail for pimping out a mother and a daughter? Or was that another streetbeefs spinoff.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Tbh I was never sure if that was an exaggeration, one of those persistent forums tropes or real

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Saudi stuff came out when wwe started running SA. Mel got weirdly defensive about it(it didn’t help some posters were gettin kinda racist) and then eventually admitted he was linked to Vision 2030.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Fire chicken also had this mentality of “I asked some cops in the park and they were cool with in” when questioned on if he needed anything to be legally promoting the fights too. It came off as this guy was in totally over his head but didn’t realize just how badly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was firechicken a good or bad fighter, in streetbeefs context?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He’s decent. Could probably clean up on the taichi palace circuit.

https://youtu.be/hDqPp-hcB2A

Def seen a lot more gym than his opponents

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ARMBAR A COP posted:

What thread had the GamerGate breakdown?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3688311&pagenumber=25&perpage=40

It's that page and it's still incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't understand wtf happened there