Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Turin (YT rts guy) is streaming possibly the first public 1v1 pvp game of AoW4 in about 5 hours with I think Italian Spartacus.

Hope one of their heroes gets captured and sent to the other's dungeon for maximum affable trash-talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-AGZcLg-0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

I finished my first playthrough going hard into Nature with barbarian culture and it was a blast. Chaos/nature is the real katamari ball if you look at their empire trees. There's a late-ish game empire upgrade in nature that gives you a unit every time you annex a new province, and T4 spiders/T3 unicorns are not at all uncommon. Perfect for defending your magic sites if you're going for a magic victory. Chaos has upgrades that give (1) units from infestations, (2) units from winning battles, (3) a 6-stack of "bandits" you can just buy one time with imperium, (4) units from razing cities.

I kind of agree with what others have said about undead lacking an identity at the moment. Losing a skeleton feels worse than losing another T1 unit to me somehow, probably because I've invested a somewhat scarce resource into it. Necromancy is at its most fun when your response to losing a chaff unit is "Heh," rather than "drat, I spent five whole souls on that thing. That sucks..." Maybe cheapen the souls production cost, halve the mana upkeep and give them 1 soul/tier upkeep? Gain resurgence upon killing a unit? More interactions with battlefield corpses? The typical fantasy trope with necromancy is that it's great if it keeps up momentum and thrives during attrition fights, but flames out without fresh corpses. Whatever mechanics get changed, I think that kind of feeling should inform the design, the slow-rolling doom ball that can recoup its losses and win as long as it keeps grinding down the enemy.

Game is great though, pretty much everything I dreamed of in a fantasy 4x. Watching a pair of my supergrowth berserkers flank a unit for a massive axe chop activates my root chakra.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I redact my enthusiasm for Inquisitors...somewhat. Unfortunately their crossbow shot goes on cooldown after you fire, but TBF it stuns targets. A good unit, but not the shooters I want.

It'd be great if they got a short-range Planetfall style overwatch ability as one of their rank bonuses, blasting a melee enemy with a stun right before they close. Bloodborne-like hunters stopping enemies mid-charge and then going in for a rapier riposte.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

one time a free city did something and it captured like 6 ocean tiles and spawned a bunch of sea creatures like krakens and turtles all at the same time, been wondering what that was.

Sounds like the 6th tier Nature affinity empire upgrade, Wild Expansion, that gives you a unit every time a province is annexed by your cities or vassals, based on the terrain annexed. It's so good.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

I was doing the silver undead Ancient Wonder with a beat up stack of hero + supersized bigpigs and had a fun lightbulb moment. I'd forgotten that the matriarchs have the Demolisher trait and pathed right through a skeleton-filled coffin, spawning some spearmen. However, with my charge bonus + Empowered Beasts, I could kill them in two hits. Cue a frenzy of coffin-smashing and feasting on the skeleton corpses with Violent Gorging until the Reaper & co. made it to my side of the map. My hero resisted the finger of death and my gigantic boars were able to weather the damage to win without losses.