Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Which team had the draft class with the most dawg in ‘em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The Eagles selected 2 Dawgs to go with the 3 Dawgs they selected last year. That’s a lot of Dawg.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I often wonder how much of these trends that people pick up on draft classes after the fact are an actual intended strategy by the team and how many are just coincidences we see from comparing seven dudes with each other.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

It's all about Frogs this year

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably tampa. they fell off toward the end though so maybe some body stoled it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Eagles went all dawg, didn’t they?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Doltos posted:

I'm cheering so hard for their draft class this year due to the million of idiot draftniks all over the internet giving them F grades. gently caress I hate that Gen Z got into the draft so much

Lol why are you mad at Gen z, this is always how the draft has been where if you don't take a player the draft people have mocked to you then you failed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm but old guys started that stuff for sure

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

probably tampa. they fell off toward the end though so maybe some body stoled it.

Naw it’s all Bucs

https://youtu.be/SADN2OMkmsw

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

really queer Christmas posted:

Lol why are you mad at Gen z, this is always how the draft has been where if you don't take a player the draft people have mocked to you then you failed.

Dumb draftniks my age and up don't know how to make top 10 worst draft pick youtubes or tiktoks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Draft needery is 100% Gen X and millennial from my personal experience. Hardly anyone I know who's younger than me gets super into it And my dad's generation just reads like the local newspaper for CBS the following Monday.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

really queer Christmas posted:

I think it's more Gen X/Millenials, but there's definitely a lot more 'You didn't follow the draft algorithm so even if your selections turn out to be hall of famers your draft was a failure' sentiment floating around than there used to be'. Like, people anymore just have a hard time accepting that the draft is a total crapshoot, and all that matters is that you beat the odds and walk away with good players.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Black Lighter posted:

I think it's more Gen X/Millenials, but there's definitely a lot more 'You didn't follow the draft algorithm so even if your selections turn out to be hall of famers your draft was a failure' sentiment floating around than there used to be'. Like, people anymore just have a hard time accepting that the draft is a total crapshoot, and all that matters is that you beat the odds and walk away with good players.

you mean like this

https://twitter.com/jacklich10/status/1652693079369867273

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What the everloving poo poo is this supposed to be actually saying?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It's saying he has never known the loving touch of grass

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Chiefs get steals, Patriots take huge reaches.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s the same people that make talking about fantasy so insufferable. “You drafted CMC over Jonathan Taylor?????? Don’t you know CMC ALWAYS gets hurt, all outcomes are already known and obvious, football is a very predictable game. You imbecile, you loving moron.” *last season happens* “Hmm well nevertheless. Just because you got a good result doesn’t mean it was a good process!!!”

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Lighter posted:

The draft is mainly a crapshoot but not completely a crapshoot. That’s the point. You should apply appropriate strategies to eke out advantages that, in aggregate, will help the franchise win more over the long term.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My point is blaming the young is dumb when the true problem are the analytics needs infesting everything because this sport needs to cater to gamblers.

This post is brought to you by draftkings, enter code zoomers for 10% off your first bet on the 2024 draft.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Analytics are incredibly useful when they can identify differentiators and predict success.

I'm not certain any of the draft athleticism analytics are any more useful than, say, 40 time in actually predicting success, and graphing that out seems to be useful only to the people making the graphs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Individual humans are hard to evaluate but positional value is easier to evaluate. So yeah it’s dumb to take rbs high and it’s dumb to take ILBs high. Interior OL are undervalued. Strategies abound.

Love 2 draft.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Individual humans are hard to evaluate but positional value is easier to evaluate. So yeah it’s dumb to take rbs high and it’s dumb to take ILBs high. Interior OL are undervalued. Strategies abound.

Love 2 draft.

If everyone is targeting the same positions early then the best strategy is probably to take really good players at less valued positions rather than over drafting a guy just because he plays a “valuable” position. You can’t really evaluate positional value as distinct from the actual player picked to play the position. A great middle linebacker is more valuable than a middling cornerback.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 2, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah it’s all on sliding scales and weighing probabilities of outcomes.

Obviously it’s better to draft LB Luke Kuechly (real, good) in the first than to draft WR Bobby Hill (cartoon, crack shot)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
it's easy to laugh about that take but John Schneider seems to have taken "draft good players" to be a genuine revelation :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If everyone is targeting the same positions early then the best strategy is probably to take really good players at less valued positions rather than over drafting a guy just because he plays a “valuable” position. You can’t really evaluate positional value as distinct from the actual player picked to pay the position. A great middle linebacker is more valuable than a middling cornerback.

Yes this is literally moneyball.txt. Obviously you can take it too far but there are inefficiencies to be exploited when everyone is losing their minds over getting something no matter the cost.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I love charts that prove they are worthless as soon as you look at them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A huge part of what people think a good draft class is comes down to how close the team's actual board is to the consensus board. Certain teams (Ravens) almost seem to draft off that drat thing and so they have a reputation for being great drafters regardless of how good the class looks two or three years down the road.

Draft coverage this close to the actual draft is entertainment not informational. I can't speak for anybody else but the reason I follow the draft so intently is because it's football themed entertainment, not because I expect to be more educated as a result.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If everyone is targeting the same positions early then the best strategy is probably to take really good players at less valued positions rather than over drafting a guy just because he plays a “valuable” position. You can’t really evaluate positional value as distinct from the actual player picked to play the position. A great middle linebacker is more valuable than a middling cornerback.

Yeah but a great cornerback is more valuable than a great middle linebacker. You need to get what are almost statistical outliers from positions like RB or ILB to dwarf the value of even just a really good starting CB or WR or OT (or QB).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

There is some value in the draft capital vs. consensus discussion, but the way he is presenting them for previous drafts is silly with no point of reference for actual NFL success. I made something like that last year to let people knee-jerk, offseason fret over how much their team deviated from Daltos' ratings, but it was definitely made to be enjoyed for about one day before it lost all relevance.

That dude posting "here's how much people deviated from the consensus for their picks in 2020" is absolutely meaningless in a vacuum without any indicator of how much success each team actually had in those drafts now with the benefit of hindsight. How to quantify that is a whole other can of worms.

e: I guess looking at 5 years of each team's actual pick position vs. consensus is some indicator of which teams are more likely to deviate, but even then it's five snapshots of 32 data points which makes no effort to highlight trends.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 2, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Cleveland Browns are going to be considered geniuses or idiots depending exclusively on how many sandwiches Dawand Jones eats during his rookie deal.

The draft is neither an art nor a science.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

Yeah but a great cornerback is more valuable than a great middle linebacker. You need to get what are almost statistical outliers from positions like RB or ILB to dwarf the value of even just a really good starting CB or WR or OT (or QB).

I’m not really sure this is true. A single great CB is easy enough to scheme around if the rest of the defense isn’t solid. Same with a great EDGE. It’s pretty easy for offenses to exploit weak spots in a defense and the short middle ends up being a weak spot for a lot of teams because the guys they have playing there can’t diagnose or cover.

Take the Seahawks, they’ve actually had a fair amount of success finding good corners in later rounds but their defense gets destroyed in the run because their linebackers loving suck and either can’t get to the play or run themselves out of it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Eifert Posting posted:

The Cleveland Browns are going to be considered geniuses or idiots depending exclusively on how many sandwiches Dawand Jones eats during his rookie deal.

Do we even possess the math necessary to calculate that number of sandwiches?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I love charts that prove they are worthless as soon as you look at them.

It's pretty funny because for all the value the Pats shat away with the Cole Strange pick... their class as rookies is at least equal to what the Chiefs got so far?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Take the Seahawks, they’ve actually had a fair amount of success finding good corners in later rounds but their defense gets destroyed in the run because their linebackers loving suck and either can’t get to the play or run themselves out of it.

At least by DVOA, it looks more like the Seahawks pass D has been middling since the Boom died, and their run D is just random. Maybe they're just truly godawful against slot receivers / TE's / RB's though.

Defensive ranks by DVOA:
22 - 17th P, 25th R
21 - 26th P, 8th R
20 - 20th P, 7th R
19- 16th P, 23rd R
18 - 16th P, 16th R
17 -14th P, 16th R

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nervous posted:

Do we even possess the math necessary to calculate that number of sandwiches?

The entire purpose of the ham sandwich theorem

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

It's pretty funny because for all the value the Pats shat away with the Cole Strange pick... their class as rookies is at least equal to what the Chiefs got so far?

At least by DVOA, it looks more like the Seahawks pass D has been middling since the Boom died, and their run D is just random. Maybe they're just truly godawful against slot receivers / TE's / RB's though.

Defensive ranks by DVOA:
22 - 17th P, 25th R
21 - 26th P, 8th R
20 - 20th P, 7th R
19- 16th P, 23rd R
18 - 16th P, 16th R
17 -14th P, 16th R

Seahawks fans can jump in here as well but their issue with pass defense since the LoB years seems to be that their safeties have kind of sucked in the passing game and they also can’t rush the passer worth a poo poo so they have to do things like sign Jamal Adams to blitz a lot. Corners are usually okay to good, at least the top two, but that doesn’t help when the offense can just shift the stress point to other places.

Tariq Woolen was really good this year but it didn’t matter because a) the guys around him in the secondary were less good and b) they couldn’t stop the run at all.

Wagner was a huge huge part of what made those LoB defenses work, along with Earl Thomas. Two positions that are currently devalued.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not really sure this is true. A single great CB is easy enough to scheme around if the rest of the defense isn’t solid. Same with a great EDGE. It’s pretty easy for offenses to exploit weak spots in a defense and the short middle ends up being a weak spot for a lot of teams because the guys they have playing there can’t diagnose or cover.

Defense as a whole is a weak link system. So while I appreciate the thrust of your argument, the specifics don’t carry out.

I do think you touched on one of the most important confounding variables of draft analysis though - some coaches loving suck and some are awesome.

Basically any qb who goes to Reid is going to look as good as they can be. Certain OL coaches can mold any clay. Pete is decent at building up corners to their potential.

So a problem with retrospective draft analysis is that the surrounding environment plays a huge factor. Like are we going to say that a prospect who struggled with a Matt Patricia team would have struggled everywhere?

That’s one of the most fun parts about all this discussion imo, so much nurture vs nature :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wagner was a huge huge part of what made those LoB defenses work, along with Earl Thomas. Two positions that are currently devalued.

Free safeties are criminally undervalued at the moment.

Also there’s been two problems with the Seahawks defense in recent years:
1) they’ve had meh coordinators with schemes that shift every frequently

2) The front office has sucked at getting talent. At any given time over the last ~7 years there’s never been more than like 4 solid defensive starters on the team at any given time. For the later 2010s the defense was at least buoyed a bit by having a HoF Bobby Wagner. Positional relative value doesn’t really matter when most of the defensive players suck regardless of position.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

How has Strange looked? Is he bad? Do the pats have a decent OL coach since Scar retired?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Undervalue linebackers then wonder why the run defense is so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Undervalue linebackers then wonder why the run defense is so bad

please dont call me out