Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How has Strange looked? Is he bad? Do the pats have a decent OL coach since Scar retired?

He was very bad the first half of the season, got benched for a little bit, played better as the season progressed, but still nothing special so far.

OL coach last year was.... Matt Patricia and they replaced him with Adrian Klemm, former OL guy who was coaching at Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Metapod posted:

Undervalue linebackers then wonder why the run defense is so bad

… over the last ~7 years there’s never been more than like 4 solid defensive starters on the team at any given time… Positional relative value doesn’t really matter when most of the defensive players suck regardless of position.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

He was very bad the first half of the season, got benched for a little bit, played better as the season progressed, but still nothing special so far.

OL coach last year was.... Matt Patricia and they replaced him with Adrian Klemm, former OL guy who was coaching at Oregon.

I hate Matt Patricia

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I hate Matt Patricia

So Say We All

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Positional relative value doesn’t really matter when most of the defensive players suck regardless of position.

Well yea, this is my point. Positional value doesn’t exist in a vacuum so saying “a good CB is more valuable than a good ILB” doesn’t really make sense as a general statement. It’s probably fair to say that finding a serviceable ILB is easier than finding a serviceable CB but that doesn’t imply that it’s bad to draft ILBs high.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lol okay I'm sorry there's only 4 players worth rostering in your idl fantasy spot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do any of those "draft capital" charts take trades for players into consideration, like do the Rams get a bonus for picking up Ramsey and Stafford and winning a Superbowl or do those picks not count cause they didn’t take rookies

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I love a chart that immediately devalues itself.

If you look at the top 8 vs bottom 8

Top 8: 3 playoff teams, 3 teams drafting top 10

Bottom 8: 3 playoff teams, 3 teams drafting top 10/

Hmmmmmm, maybe this poo poo doesn’t mean anything

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I love charts that prove they are worthless as soon as you look at them.

KC just won Super Bowl, is on top of this chart. Checks out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I hate Matt Patricia

Everyone does

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

I hate Matt Patricia

I can't root for a team with a wide open multi-year superbowl window because of his lovely rear end

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even Eagles fans can't appreciate him for the Super Bowl he handed them because now he's infected their team.

And also he's a massive piece of poo poo in multiple ways.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

I hate Matt Patricia

Matt Patricia's mom account spotted

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I don't get it are you saying that there's no one worth drafting to stop the run or the Seahawks just didn't go after them?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I love a chart that immediately devalues itself.

If you look at the top 8 vs bottom 8

Top 8: 3 playoff teams, 3 teams drafting top 10

Bottom 8: 3 playoff teams, 3 teams drafting top 10/

Hmmmmmm, maybe this poo poo doesn’t mean anything

Jokes on you the seahawks were both a playoff team and drafting in the top 10

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Undervalue linebackers then wonder why the run defense is so bad

don't draft one in the first round because they're probably gonna suck for at least a year or two. linebacker is drat near impossible to play the NFL because you're expected to stop the run and also provide pass coverage against guys who run a 4.3.

like I supported the Roquan Smith extension because there's just not all that many guys who can do what he can do

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just use all your draft picks on Hall of Famers every single year and you'll eventually win a few Super Bowls, I don't see what's that hard about this "drafting" thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

John Schneider is Bo Duke

There is no other John Schneider

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mega64 posted:

Just use all your draft picks on Hall of Famers every single year and you'll eventually win a few Super Bowls, I don't see what's that hard about this "drafting" thing.

Thanks Kawa- wait you aren’t Kawalimus :mad:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I love- just flat out adore - the fact that all the sudden the Bengals have a stacked linebacker room after drat near a decade of it being a problem. ADG would be a perfectly serviceable starting linebacker but he has to hope for injuries to see the field. The 2020 draft class was so goddamn good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Free safeties are criminally undervalued at the moment.

I don't think so. The way I see it the league views starting caliber utility Free Safeties and take away the middle of the field ball coverage free safeties as very different commodities.

Those coverage guys like Jessie Bates, Kevin Byard, and Marcus Williams still get paid big.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The punter the Bengals drafted thought he was getting pranked: https://youtube.com/shorts/SZ-B6FxgJUs?feature=share

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I like this Brad Holmes guy.

https://twitter.com/burchie_kid/status/1653399563951112194?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Counterpoint teams pass on talent we can all see and then they turn out awesome.

Like drafting CEH over Tee Higgins which I'll never stop bitching about

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It seems like all the premiere pass rushers go in the like 8 to 15 range. Micah JJ TJ Aaron Donald etc etc etc. Seems like if you're one of the best dudes a dozen or so teams are going to find a reason not to draft you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
CEH barely being relevant on the highest powered college offense of all time rushing against no one in the box drafting him that high I Would Never.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I respect his confidence in his convictions but I still can’t stop reading all of Holmes’ post draft comments in Trump’s voice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah that’s why GMs rarely draft badly

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

Counterpoint teams pass on talent we can all see and then they turn out awesome.

Like drafting CEH over Tee Higgins which I'll never stop bitching about

And sometimes they pass on guys that everyone here is sure are talented and then those guys suck or have debilitating medical issues or whatever.

Teams miss a lot and fans and draft experts also miss a lot. Everybody misses a lot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AndrewP posted:

don't draft one in the first round because they're probably gonna suck for at least a year or two. linebacker is drat near impossible to play the NFL because you're expected to stop the run and also provide pass coverage against guys who run a 4.3.

like I supported the Roquan Smith extension because there's just not all that many guys who can do what he can do

Roquan is really good he deserves his money

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Doltos posted:

CEH barely being relevant on the highest powered college offense of all time rushing against no one in the box drafting him that high I Would Never.

He was a big part of the reason they beat Bama. That game probably got both he and Najee Harris overdrafted.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And sometimes they pass on guys that everyone here is sure are talented and then those guys suck or have debilitating medical issues or whatever.

Teams miss a lot and fans and draft experts also miss a lot. Everybody misses a lot.

It just seems pretty condescending as if they're right all the time and then you get like 80% of fans screaming that DK Metcalf is a stud and all the GMs pass on him for two rounds because of a bad 3 cone drill and what do you know he's a loving stud

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was a big part of the reason they beat https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=122Bama. That game probably got both he and Najee Harris overdrafted.

Let me be a hater

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GMs never miss, they always hit exactly where they aim

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Said it before I'll say it again.

Teams should have to save their draft boards and release them to the public 10 years later. It's not going to give away any sort of competitive advantage but it would be hilarious to see where every franchise rated Jimmy Clausen or Tim Tebow or whatever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Then fans should have to as well. Excuse me while I tear up my mocks that had Geno Smith and Brady Quinn wayyyy too high

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

kiimo posted:

It just seems pretty condescending as if they're right all the time and then you get like 80% of fans screaming that DK Metcalf is a stud and all the GMs pass on him for two rounds because of a bad 3 cone drill and what do you know he's a loving stud

I think where he says they have “all the information” is condescending as hell but the broader point that teams are operating with significantly more information than prognosticators who make mocks is definitely true. There’s clearly an information gap and it’s made worse bc teams intentionally lie to a lot of media types to manipulate it. And that information gap causes lots of bad feelings is definitely accurate as well.

I would love to see what additional info teams have and how they weight it tho. They’ll never share it but that’d be super interesting

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

Most of this forum loving hated DK because of the 3 cone drill, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I watched the three cone drill live and commented how much I hated it too but then the internet tried to blame it on a slip which, horseshit, his 3 cone was bad before and after that tiny non-slip

Turns out you don't need to run a three cone when you're a loving MOOSE going full speed down the sideline haha we took Mecole Hardman over that goddam centaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Remember in the 80s and 90s the workout warrior game was really coming into its own and to this day people are still being suckered by this poo poo. Lmao RAS more like rear end.