Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

What are some jobs AI will not.be able to replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.
making lovely threads (op's job)

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

EorayMel posted:

Salty IT guy found Lol

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

It's like when manufacturing jobs got replaced by machines, except this time it'd going yo be a bunch of people complaining on the internet

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

musicians I guess since computers can already play music perfectly so there's not much left to shake up in that market. Also rare earth mine toiler, since robots still suck and are expensive. Need more meat for the mines to power all that AI.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Professional Athlete
Landscaper

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Drug dealers and crime scene cleanup technician

Edit: also I dont believe in AI. Probably some sort of paranormal mumbo jumbo ya ask me

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

golf holer

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I wonder which MLB team will be the first to trade a guy for an AI.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EorayMel posted:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Remember 10 years ago when everybody was saying this about self-driving cars and truckers?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
at most the current ML fad is going to be like google search/stack overflow, a force multiplier for domain experts using it and nightmare fuel for anyone dealing with the garbage idiots churn out with it

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Life modelling. Unless the AI gets a body

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I think the moil profession is going to be ok, have you considered becoming a moil?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nice Van My Man posted:

musicians I guess since computers can already play music perfectly so there's not much left to shake up in that market. Also rare earth mine toiler, since robots still suck and are expensive. Need more meat for the mines to power all that AI.
I was just thinking earlier this week that in about two years you will be able to type "Pet Shop Boys singing Cannibal Corpse songs" and get a near-perfect rendition so no, there is plenty of room left to destroy musicians here

Government jobs that involve classified information will stay safe longer than similar private sector jobs, at least until Amazon itself gets top secret clearance

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
big AI tibbies

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

I wonder which MLB team will be the first to trade a guy for an AI.

nobody will ever beat cal ripken jr's record, op

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Khorne posted:

at most the current ML fad is going to be like google search/stack overflow, a force multiplier for domain experts using it and nightmare fuel for anyone dealing with the garbage idiots churn out with it

It's so weird seeing all the "learn coding in 2 months and get a 6 figure job by buying my udemy course" guys on twitter who are all just godawful coders freaking out about how this will end programming jobs and whenever I try out something like github copilot or chatgpt and ask it to do something it just shits out unusable garbage for anything other than the most basic of requests. It can poo poo out boilerplate code somewhat adequately and for some reason people decided that spending 20 bucks a month for that is better than having to copy and paste some stuff

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 29, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'll be going from having to fix lovely code idiot junior devs pushed out to having to fix lovely code AI pushed out.

It won't feel that different

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

do you think AI will be able to track down reregs avoiding permas op?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was just thinking earlier this week that in about two years you will be able to type "Pet Shop Boys singing Cannibal Corpse songs" and get a near-perfect rendition so no, there is plenty of room left to destroy musicians here

Government jobs that involve classified information will stay safe longer than similar private sector jobs, at least until Amazon itself gets top secret clearance

Time to start a petition to prevent training AIs with any Metallica after And Justice for All...

e: was also going to say plumbers, but we'll probably get one of those delivery robots with a plumbing snake coming out of it pretty soon, so

e2: ok this is some matrix looking poo poo, let's do it

https://netl.doe.gov/node/3037

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
garage inc was good though

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

so if you submit a change to code in the apple app store, you have to give them a reason WHY you made a change. If you just say "Its to improve the user experience, resolve issues and improve the product" more than once, depending on who is reviewing your update, they will deny you as having already done that. lol. we actually used chat GPT today to say that "generically" and it worked. gently caress you apple.

I was laughing my balls off while the lead dev suggested it and already had the tab open

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Sure AI will replace composers and music technicians, but for people who just play an instrument in an orchestra or something things aren't going to change.

Also prostitutes, the few remaining rich guys will probably only be able to get off by degrading real people, so you could do that.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

FootballFreak2 posted:

It's like when manufacturing jobs got replaced by machines, except this time it'd going yo be a bunch of people complaining on the internet
There is no plausible mechanism to authenticate content as human, and the few remaining human parts of the internet will be washed away by a tide of AI-generated SEO and crypto bro campaigns. There will be nowhere to complain.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

incredibly grim and accurate, thank you Nice Van My Man

as long as you can be degraded by the ultra wealthy you will always have a job, no worries everyone

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i'm gonna not work and instead enjoy my life, hobbies, and time with my family op

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Wendigee posted:

incredibly grim and accurate, thank you Nice Van My Man

as long as you can be degraded by the ultra wealthy you will always have a job, no worries everyone

I mean while you're young and hot anyway. After you get used up you'll probably be sent off to the mines like the rest of us.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
also, would love to invite you to the permabanned rereg thread op :)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

There is no plausible mechanism to authenticate content as human, and the few remaining human parts of the internet will be washed away by a tide of AI-generated SEO and crypto bro campaigns. There will be nowhere to complain.

what about gbs

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

what about it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

AI is going to replace all of our jobs!!!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What will all the middle managers do if their reports are just AIs? :smuggo:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Smugworth posted:

i mean they are all dead inside, so they kind of are organic AIs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
AI is going to replace every white collar worker

meanwhile

White collar middle management is forcing the entire workforce back into the office so they can peer over their shoulder

:thunk:

EDIT

Smugworth posted:

drat you Smugworth

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's so weird seeing all the "learn coding in 2 months and get a 6 figure job by buying my udemy course" guys on twitter who are all just godawful coders freaking out about how this will end programming jobs and whenever I try out something like github copilot or chatgpt and ask it to do something it just shits out unusable garbage for anything other than the most basic of requests. It can poo poo out boilerplate code somewhat adequately and for some reason people decided that spending 20 bucks a month for that is better than having to copy and paste some stuff
The real use of chatgpt in tech jobs is you can ask it questions and get better answers than 95% of your colleagues could give you, even when it's wrong.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Smugworth posted:

Same thing they do now, take all the credit and pat themselves on the back.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Before chatGPT if you had a question at work you'd have to ask Jason in Product and he'd assume you were phrasing your question wrong and answer six entirely unrelated things, then you'd have to teach him why all six of those things are unrelated to your question to coax a wrong answer out of him. Now you can just ask chatgpt and get an answer right away that even has a chance to be right sometimes.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The real use of chatgpt in tech jobs is you can ask it questions and get better answers than 95% of your colleagues could give you, even when it's wrong.
Its also really good at giving you something that will work in your environment, and when it makes a mistake, you can usually just give it the error code and itll apologize and fix the mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
AI will never replace computer janitors no matter how smart AI gets users will find a way to be dumber than it can handle