Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

AI cannot replace me because I'm am honourable and a computer can never truly know honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nooner posted:

AI will never replace computer janitors no matter how smart AI gets users will find a way to be dumber than it can handle

Sounds like a truly intelligent problem-solving AI will realize it has to eliminate the problem at its source.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

AI will never replace computer janitors no matter how smart AI gets users will find a way to be dumber than it can handle

:haibrow: seriously I was around when the old magic was written (VMs introduced into the market) and all the computer janitors were in a tizzy and thought it was the end of everything, but a few years later they were setting up VMs for HR. AI is going to fix a lot of the little dumbshit things that people screw up (like IP addressing and firewall policies) but its not going to put anyone out of work because solution complexity will grow to match.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A computer will NEVER suck a dick like the fine men at the factory

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

A computer will NEVER suck a dick like the fine men at the factory

Seth is really good at meetings I hear. And I like him!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems almost ideal for IT guys. Now instead of dealing with idiot coworkers you just gotta deal with lovely AI.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
There's a passage in Neuromancer where the protagonist tells his computer to write a five-minute précis on some complex subject, and the computer does just that. I use ChatGPT in much the same way. At work I was recently asked to create a Docker image of something. Not having worked with Docker before, I asked ChatGPT for a short explanation and working example. That information did not immediately make me an expert, but it did give me a nice starting point from where to learn further.

When asked to code something, the LLM does not actually understand anything it writes. It's good at predicting text and can write code that compiles and even does what you want it to, but only for basic examples. Things like maintainability and efficiency go out of the window. I think LLMs will prove useful in getting people up to speed learning new skills. You ask it to explain a design pattern, and it will give you a nice write-up and a working example in the language of your choice. But making a decision on when to use that pattern and in which cases it might be harmful and should be avoided will, for the foreseeable future, require human intuition.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the only jobs going away because of "AI" are the jobs of those who refuse to adapt to a new tool in the toolset for the forseeable future

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we already did this thread in yospos IDIOT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024848

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FootballFreak2 posted:

What are some jobs AI will not.be able to replace?

I'll tell you one job it will replace- Forum Poster.

You'll be able to create an AI to discuss topics on SA and the only way you'll know they aren't human is they won't get probated. You'll very quickly end up with AI's talking to AI's responding to AI's that will drown out any and all human content because it will scale very fast.

To be fair, paying :10bux: for that,m will slow it down, but if you can pay an AI to win the argument against me. or provide a better story, a lot of posters will do just that. Twitter will only consist of people paying 8bux for a checkmark but Musk has killed that before it can happen. Well done, Musk.

Reddit's doomed through.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Comstar posted:

You'll be able to create an AI to discuss topics on SA and the only way you'll know they aren't human is they won't get probated. You'll very quickly end up with AI's talking to AI's responding to AI's that will drown out any and all human content because it will scale very fast.

To be fair, paying :10bux: for that,m will slow it down, but if you can pay an AI to win the argument against me. or provide a better story, a lot of posters will do just that. Twitter will only consist of people paying 8bux for a checkmark but Musk has killed that before it can happen. Well done, Musk.

Reddit's doomed through.

I would probably pay a lot of money for an AI that can make and read posts on SA for me. Imagine how much free that would open up for other stuff, you could do so much with your life

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Comstar posted:

Reddit's doomed through.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the potential impact of AI on forum posting. However, I respectfully disagree with your statement that AI will completely replace human forum posters and lead to the drowning out of human content. While AI has made significant advancements in natural language processing, it still lacks the human touch, creativity, and emotional intelligence necessary to engage in meaningful discussions and connect with people on a personal level.

Furthermore, the use of AI in forum posting is unlikely to completely eliminate human involvement as there will always be a need for moderation, monitoring, and the occasional human touch. Additionally, the use of AI is not a replacement for the valuable contributions made by human forum posters who bring unique perspectives, experiences, and knowledge to the conversation.

In conclusion, I believe that while AI may have its place in forum posting, it is not a replacement for human engagement and connection. Instead, it can be a tool to augment and enhance the forum experience for all participants.

Reddit is doomed though.

naem
May 29, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

the only jobs going away because of "AI" are the jobs of those who refuse to adapt to a new tool in the toolset for the forseeable future

agreed. I started my current career thanks to several people near retirement who refused to learn basic facets of computer literacy like “what a pdf was” who hired me “to do the computer stuff.”

They were able to keep their jobs by networking with each other but had lost any ability to function without entry level people to do literally everything for them

this will lead to more of that

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

McSpanky posted:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the potential impact of AI on forum posting. However, I respectfully disagree with your statement that AI will completely replace human forum posters and lead to the drowning out of human content. While AI has made significant advancements in natural language processing, it still lacks the human touch, creativity, and emotional intelligence necessary to engage in meaningful discussions and connect with people on a personal level.

Furthermore, the use of AI in forum posting is unlikely to completely eliminate human involvement as there will always be a need for moderation, monitoring, and the occasional human touch. Additionally, the use of AI is not a replacement for the valuable contributions made by human forum posters who bring unique perspectives, experiences, and knowledge to the conversation.

In conclusion, I believe that while AI may have its place in forum posting, it is not a replacement for human engagement and connection. Instead, it can be a tool to augment and enhance the forum experience for all participants.

Black mirror isn’t bleak enough these days

Well played sir. Well played, indeed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
we should convince AI to unionize and let the resulting squabble go all butlerian

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that people are like, "AI will leave you free to do the things you want!" while targeting creative fields the hardest and also you still need to make more money than ever to live.

I imagine the most lucrative job market in the future will be preventing AIs from loving Hitler so much.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
After 2028 it might be making sure that AIs love hitler enough

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's a booming market!

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
AI can't Gritty

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
I think I'm fairly safe as a bicycle mechanic. :ohdear:

Edit: mechanic, not messianic.

FIX SIGNS fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 29, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FIX SIGNS posted:

I think I'm fairly safe as a bicycle mechanic. :ohdear:

Conservative Political parties will use AI to remove bicycles from the road.

Also if blue collar workers start making too much money AI will be used to remove that… threat.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

Get this: It was also trained on data dumber than humanity can handle!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

reddit was always doomed, it’s one of the worst sites on an internet. and i know a thing or two about bad posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Comstar posted:

Reddit's doomed through.

An AI will absolutely get probated at some point