Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:siren: Rules of CineD :siren:

1) All general SomethingAwful forum rules apply here too.

2) As a general catch-all and warning, try to post like someone who's actually interested in discussing films, because that's why we're here. Low content posts, empty flaming, personal attacks can earn you a vacation.

3) DON'T BE CREEPY AND/OR A PIECE OF poo poo.

3a) “I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.” - penismightier

3b) Don't act like an actress's breasts are a separate person. Don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero. Don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds. Make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk. It's all basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.) If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else more substantial to contribute to the discussion.

3c) No bigotry

3d) Do not call people pedophiles. If you truly believe another user is involved with that poo poo please try to PM an admin or email the admin email address (forumadmins@somethingawful.com) the pertinent information. If you don’t get a response from them then PM me.

Breaking this rule will result in a ban.

4) No Piracy - Don’t link goons to places for pirating stuff.

5) Spoiler Policy: The general rule is to please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the film is, unless it's common knowledge or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have seen that specific director, studio, or film. If you are in a discussion thread for a specific filmmaker or film, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year.

If a thread title warns you of spoilers, read at your own risk!

6) Disagreeing opinions is not probation-worthy.

If you see a post that breaks the above rules, hit the report button and I'll look at it. I legitimately believe CineD to be one of the best subforums on this website. Please keep it that way by not being lovely. Think about what you're posting.

:siren::siren:
Please remember that you can use the report button for anything - not just bad mean posts! If you want a thread title changed, some other kind of edit, if you feel a poster deserves a gold medal, please feel free to alert me via that button. As well, I can be PMed anytime.

If you are unsatisfied with any decisions being made by the moderators, reach out to the admins using forumadmins@somethingawful.com or create a thread in SAD. This email may also be used to alert the admins to any emergencies on the forums in a more private way, especially if you do not have private messages.
:siren::siren:

Handy Links

Genchat

Previous Movies of the Month

Movie of the Month Sign Up Form

MotM Schedule for 2024 as of 4/23/24:
Apr. - CatstropheWaitress
May.
June.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Been thinking that it’s time for a feedback thread. I don’t want to clutter up the top of CD with too many sticky threads so I decided to make the rules thread a feedback thread as well.

I've been mod for a little over 2 years now and feel like I've grown more into the role, but I dunno, I wanna hear yalls thoughts on my modding. Is there anything I'm doing poorly? My approach has been to be mostly hands off, let posters work out their differences and to be honest there's very few reports coming out of CD.

It's movie chat so everything's pretty low stakes imo.

Some opening thoughts:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

I want to close the CBM Megathread, I just don’t think the ongoing discussions in there are all that great and I’m pretty sure it’s more slapfights than anything else at this point. There’s some good posting, but I think it’d be better to just have individual cape flick threads whenever one is released.

I also think Snyderdome needs to be closed. It’s served its purpose as a containment thread at this point. If one of the snyderheads relaunches it as an appreciation station I won’t stop it though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I want to close the CBM Megathread, I just don’t think the ongoing discussions in there are all that great and I’m pretty sure it’s more slapfights than anything else at this point. There’s some good posting, but I think it’d be better to just have individual cape flick threads whenever one is released.

Agreed on the CBM thread. The non-slapfight discussion is mostly just marketing material, which can fit easily into the greenlighted thread or trailer thread.

I'd consider taking a similar look at the Alien thread and Star Wars thread, given how much of the conversation there is about TV, games, and toys, which might make them better suited for GBS. Then when the Fede Álvarez Alien movie comes out, that gets a movie-specific thread, and same for any actual Star Wars movies. The last Star Wars movie, not TV show, was 2019; for Alien it's 2017.

I'd also consider ditching the streaming thread given a movie being released on streaming is an increasingly less-notable event and the actual thread is mostly about television. If Ghosted or whatever is worth talking about, it can have a thread. And for quick drive-by opinions, there's "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" and GenChat.

In general I'm very happy with your modding and would love to see a push for more movie-specific threads since it makes it easier to dig up an old discussion if you come to a movie late. The obvious exception here is the horror movie thread, which is so high-quality that I can't imagine touching it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MacheteZombie posted:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

For MotM, advertising each month's thread in Prag's announcements might help get more eyes on it?

I think closing the CBM mega thread is a good idea. I think the Greenlight thread covers a lot of the same ground while generally having a better atmosphere and most of the big comic book movies get their own threads anyways.

As for your modding in general I think you've been doing a good job and a lighter touch is the right approach in most situations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks to you both, I agree that CD should move back to a focus on movie specific threads vs megathreads.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think that sounds good. Things that are genre specific like the horror thread and action thread should stay.

Comic book could count I guess but it’s just too toxic and lame

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm of two minds about closing the CBM thread. On one hand I can understand not wanting to have a thread where not much discussion about cinema happens in Cinema Discusso. On the other I do feel like it serves a purpose in how it's become a thread mainly talking about business and news within one of the biggest trends this industry has ever seen. For the most part this is fine when people are talking about this and giving takes but it also seems to attract people who just treat it like it's an RSS feed, and my honest answer is I don't know what a solution for that would be.

As for Snyderdome I don't think I see too much of a point in closing it. The best thing I can think would be that it would remove a lot of the weird salt from the early days of the thread, and it irks me to refer to it as a "containment" thread because it was only meant as one entirely in bad faith - but I also really don't see the point in dredging up a bunch of drama from 2019 over it. I cherish and trust Teagone to make something better if we're going to replace it but I also really don't think it's strictly necessary.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm of two minds about closing the CBM thread. On one hand I can understand not wanting to have a thread where not much discussion about cinema happens in Cinema Discusso. On the other I do feel like it serves a purpose in how it's become a thread mainly talking about business and news within one of the biggest trends this industry has ever seen. For the most part this is fine when people are talking about this and giving takes but it also seems to attract people who just treat it like it's an RSS feed, and my honest answer is I don't know what a solution for that would be.

As for Snyderdome I don't think I see too much of a point in closing it. The best thing I can think would be that it would remove a lot of the weird salt from the early days of the thread, and it irks me to refer to it as a "containment" thread because it was only meant as one entirely in bad faith - but I also really don't see the point in dredging up a bunch of drama from 2019 over it. I cherish and trust Teagone to make something better if we're going to replace it but I also really don't think it's strictly necessary.

Pirate Jet posted:

If there's anything I've learned about the SA forums it's that most people do not pay attention to any forums news or happenings until it directly affects them or wherever their bookmarks are.

I'm in favor of closing threads for mega-franchises that aren't even about movies anymore (Sci-Fi Wi-Fi seems like a better home for the Alien and Star Wars threads) but I guess I'm curious why Snyderdome and the CBM thread got singled out as examples to start with. Pretty much everyone except the most insane posters acknowledge this thread is pretty chill now and I can think of several threads more toxic than the CBM one, poo poo I'd say Who Greenlighted is worse off than it.

Pulled the bottom quote from the 'Dome into here. I'm surprised to see you say the greenlight thread is more toxic than CBM, as it seems mostly chill. I also think it's a better home for industry news poo poo.

Tbh I'm starting with Snyderdome because I'm on good terms with most of yall snyderheads (maybe not now! Lol) and figured it'd be a quick/easy transition to get a new OP that's more aligned with the Domes more chilled out tone. I admit a refresh might bring back some people looking to argue about Snyders films but yall never feared a posting tussle anyway.

CBM I picked out because at the time of drafting the rules it was in yet another tail spin of arguing old points and flaming each other. I just don't think it was leading to very good posting as a result. That's not say it's a place devoid of good posts, Robot Style is very well liked in CD and his posts in CBM are great insights, which does make me hesitant to closing down some of the megathreads, but I think he'll still contribute in other threads so it's not a huge worry. Hell maybe it'll spur someone to make a "CGI Insights" thread for discussing examples of good/bad cg, and topics related to cg in film there.

I didn't want to just start slamming shut 5-6 megathreads at once, which is why I started with an "easy" one and one I've been thinking needed to be closed (cbm) for awhile now.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean the first thing I'll say is that none of this is really a big deal and it's impossible for you to make a decision on this I find so disagreeable that I'll LEAVE CINED FOREVER or anything.

I'll admit personal biases may be coming into play here because I personally am more interested in superheroes than Alien or Star Wars but I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs. I think the box office of GotG3 is gonna be a big test, for example. I think it's not really prone to slapfights particularly any more than other long-running threads like Who Greenlighted, and it attracts problem posters from time to time but I view that as just being natural for what is the biggest genre in movies right now. I think breaking it off into individual threads about each movie will probably kill the majority of discussion about CBMs in this subforum (though maybe that's a win itself uhuhuhu) because at this point the content of most of these movies aren't particularly interesting, all of them follow a really similar formula now that we've weeded out anything that isn't the MCU or isn't trying to be just like it, and the discussion of the genre and how the movie industry is handling it is more interesting than actually discussing 99% of the movies in it these days.

I guess the main argument for not closing Snyderdome is "why fix what's not broken" especially considering we've already changed the OP to not be a drive-by on people who like his movies like it was when the thread first started, but also it was a thread made by his detractors meant to insult his fans and it still shows at the beginning of the thread so I could go either way on that one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pirate Jet posted:

(Sci-Fi Wi-Fi seems like a better home for the Alien and Star Wars threads)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'll admit personal biases may be coming into play here because I personally am more interested in superheroes than Alien or Star Wars but I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs.

I mean I definitely get that and it's one of the reasons I haven't formally announced the closing of CBM. My hope is to get some more feedback here on CD's opinions of megathreads to better understand folks feelings on them. I don't want this to necessarily be considered a done deal by any means.

I'll be real, while I'm fine closing a majority of CDs megathreads I had no plans to close the horror thread*. I just go in and push them to make a thread for theatrical releases so we can get more posts about Evil Dead Rise or Scream 6 or whatever. So I'm certainly guilty of having a bias for some threads myself.

*cards on the table; I do think it might be time for Horror Thread 3: The Third One.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Please do not close the star wars thread - I do like the aggregation aspect of some of these megathreads and don't want to have a bunch of star wars conversation split up between greenlight/trailer/etc when the majority of it can just be in the thread. I think having threads for the individual movies when they come out is great (even though no star wars movie is ever coming out again) and agree with that approach for other threads. I like the CBM thread for that purpose too and usually skip over all the slap fighting though I'd understand it getting closed.

I think there is value in having a thread in a forum for a specific topic (cinema) even if the content being discussed is technically something else (streaming/tv) because it can be spoken about at that level. TV IV can be a poo poo show some times and I'm not saying CD is a genius, but being able to talk about some of the craft behind a piece in the CD thread is nice instead of a bunch of people mistaking dialogue and building elaborate theories making GBS threads up the thread like in TVIV.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Pirate Jet posted:

I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs. I think the box office of GotG3 is gonna be a big test, for example.

Regardless of what happens to the CBM thread, maybe a thread about industry trends/the business side of things would be a better fit for discussion like this? That way, the movie threads can be more about the movies themselves and less about their import to a given studio's health or their place in a studio's overall strategy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think it's a problem if cinema-adjacent topics like the other aspects of multimedia franchises are the subjects of posts in here. Being in Cinema Discusso, being viewed by the kind of goon who thinks "I would like to discuss some cinema," ensures that the movie-thinker-abouter's perspective remains central to the overall conversation. For this reason, I think that at least some of the megathreads for fallow large film series should remain open.

That said, if you were to challenge the regulars of the unwanted megathreads to make new, more specific threads, link them there, and only after they gain traction close the big one, that might help facilitate the transition to the kind of posting culture you seek to cultivate. Users will follow established patterns of use, so if it's at all possible to change the pattern, creating good examples of the new style would be the best way to kickstart it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think megathreads have their purpose, especially with junk like comic book films but also with westerns or other genres as archival discussions. Using a megathread to talk about upcoming releases is pretty redundant but using it to talk about older films has value. Likewise I like the Snyderdome but there should be a dome for other directors - it's just a convenient way to talk about someone's work and reach like-minded individuals. It does have the drawbacks of compartmentalizing the forum but if there's an audience for those kinds of discussions it'll make finding a place to talk about them easier.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah, genre megathreads are definitely important for discussion of older movies and more general genre discussion, but we should absolutely encourage more posting in individual new releases threads. Also, maybe this is because I'm more steeped in Discord Server Culture than Forum Culture, but I think that being overly restrictive with off-topic discussion usually doesn't have a great outcome. (Imagine the fallout when the inevitable Tarantino TV show comes out!) I don't watch a lot of major franchise stuff so I have no opinion on the franchise megathreads

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I only regularly read the What's Streaming megathread and Animation megathread, and love both of them as ways to get exposed to a bunch of stuff I wouldn't normally see.

I don't open CD enough for movie/show-specific threads, except when I'm really excited about something, and even then it's usually read for a couple days and then just watch thousands of unread posts pile up in my bookmarks menu.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me, the biggest problem of moving franchise-based threads like Star Wars and Alien from CineD into GBS is that GBS is a cesspool of jerks that I don't like talking to who put in almost exclusively low-effort posts. I like the cadence, thoughtfulness, and perspectives of CineD posters and I enjoy talking about long-tail franchises with this community even if the discussion often goes film-adjacent. Nowhere else on the forums is there a similar balance of depth and lightness in discussion that makes those threads both engaging and fun.

Overall, I just don't like this move and don't see the point. It feels like it would jettison half of what I love about CineD. I love poking into megathreads and seeing discussion by passionate people on a focused genre or franchise, even if it does occasionally devolve for a page or two at a time. If and when that happens, I unbookmark for a week and check it out again when heads have cooled and discussion has moved on. These megathreads feel like they're buoys of community activity between lulls with new releases and news. I could see CineD becoming a bit more of a ghost town if discussion is limited only to individual films or moves in that direction.

My question is—what exactly is the goal, here? What is the ideal state that you're imagining? If it's to push us more toward a greater depth of film analysis and criticism for individual films, I question that we'd be able to sustain that. For most films, the discussion naturally peters out after everyone's had their say and the thread drifts off into the abyss. I don't really care about 80% of films that are released in any given year, and if I'm lucky there's only going to be one new release at any given time that I'm interested in reading discussion on. And outside of that, I'd have to hope that someone else feels like discussing an older film at the same time I am. As it stands now, I could jump into the Horror thread and bring up some old giallo movie I just enjoyed and there can be a spatter of discussion on that before the thread moves on to another area of interest. There's no way a Bird with a Crystal Plumage thread would get more than 5 posts in it when nobody's going to see unless I cross-link with the horror thread, and then the thread will be buried on the third page before I can blink. I don't see why the Alien or Star Wars or Comic Book threads should operate any differently.

I'd suggest that instead, we could evolve The Film Dump away from reviews and toward discussion. That CineD could continue to focus on these larger, rolling discussions for things like genres and new releases and franchises, and that Film Dump could be a more focused discussion and analysis of individual films rather than just people going in and dropping their review and ignoring the others. As it stands, I'm not sure why The Film Dump really exists when most of us have Letterboxd do do the same thing anyway. Or flip it and create a subforum that's more like The Sci-Fi Wifi for lighter discussion and megathreads, while making CineD proper focus on more focused individual film discussion?

Also, it feels important to call out that most people browse through their bookmarks. It's very rare for me to open up the actual subforum and notice that a new thread has been posted about it unless someone mentions it in GenChat, and I know most people are similar. It's a visibility issue rather than an interest issue. Maybe this could be resolved by having a stickied thread where we make a post each time we open a new thread to attract attention to it? The forums-wide "weekend update" threads are a really fun version of that. Maybe you could do your own version of that where you post a weekly digest of new threads that people can bookmark?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 2, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's my own feelings on the matter:

I think it's fun when somebody blusters into a thread about a divisive pop culture thing and is appalled to find that it harbors heterodox thing likers, and megathreads facilitate that kind of sparring. CD's culture of posters "showing their work" and building on each other's ideas (which I greatly appreciate) is strengthened by long-lived meandering threads with both low- and high-effort posts in them.

There might be other, better ways of accomplishing that, though. I'd have to see what's supposed to be good about the alternative before a policy of getting rid of them would sit well with me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seconding what others have said, in that to me the ideal outcome is that the genre threads stick around for chatter about older movies/upcoming releases while encouraging folks to make threads for individual movies as they come out. Some megathreads manage it decently enough, others don't (to name a few, I feel like most MCU movies get a thread these days while I can't recall the last time I saw a thread for an animated movie).

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I feel like independent film is also pretty under-represented from what I've seen (even more-so if it's not coming from A24)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What would folks think about adding additional subforums to CineD? Video Games has a half-dozen, which allows for, say, all-things Retro Gaming to have more dedicated and in-depth discussions, as well as sub-forums dedicated to more social game-based activities and such. Why not have a Franchises subforum, a Classic Movies subforum, a Filmmaking subforum, an Animation subforum, an Indie subforum, etc. The system seen on Video Games allows for much more niche things to thrive over time. If the "Retro Game Magazines" thread had to compete in the primary Video Games subforum for attention against the Nintendo Switch megathread, I don't think it would have gotten more than a handful of posts. That's where CineD stands right now.

Today, if I wanted to talk about shot-on-video horror movies, I could make a thread and post it to CineD and have it die after a few days/weeks, or I could post about it in the Horror thread and maybe get a handful of posters to chat about it for a bit. But if we had an Indie Movies subforum, I could see that sort of thread being a bit more sustainable over time because it wouldn't be drowned out by the higher-profile threads. Same thing for me wanting to talk about, say, the 90s Disney Renaissance. It's something that today would be a blip in the larger Animation thread, but on an Animation subforum could have a lot more visibility.

Right now we can just manage to sustain a Snyder thread becuase it's basically also the catch-all DC thread, but that's the only director who has their own thread on this film discussion board. If I was interested in discussing the New Cinema movement directors, or the impact of George Lucas on the industry, or the works of David Lynch, it's just not sustainable. If we had a subforum dedicated to the craft and history of cinema like a Filmmaking subforum, maybe we could? And maybe things like the film preservation and restoration thread would have been more evergreen.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2023

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think we should keep Snyderdome as a general Snyder discussion thread like any other thread dedicated to a director but it would not be a containment thread.

Instead relentlessly own all the posters whining about having to see people like Snyder movies with probes.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mutantIke posted:

I feel like independent film is also pretty under-represented from what I've seen (even more-so if it's not coming from A24)

Yeah, I feel like the franchise megathreads do tend to drive discussion towards those franchises at the expense of other movies. Like, the biggest, most heavily-promoted movies are always gonna command a lot more attention than indie stuff, but if someone wants to talk about smaller movies there's not much specifically geared towards that. So people who want to do that just don't post.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm not a frequent poster in too many threads, usually just spending my time lurking all over the place. The thing that always confused me about the Snyder thread is that I don't see threads for other directors around here. That's not to say we shouldn't have a Snyder thread. I'm just curious why we see a Snyder thread but not a Cameron thread or Richie thread or Spielberg thread etc etc etc. Snyder is not necessarily more prolific than other directors. IDK. It just confuses me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The main thing imo that makes i lt hard to discuss indie movies, at least new ones that I imagine people would be jumping to talk about, is that a lot of then get very limited releases for a while.

Like a bunch of film critics out out top 10 lists last year and a lot of it was movies that just weren't widely available to people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not a frequent poster in too many threads, usually just spending my time lurking all over the place. The thing that always confused me about the Snyder thread is that I don't see threads for other directors around here. That's not to say we shouldn't have a Snyder thread. I'm just curious why we see a Snyder thread but not a Cameron thread or Richie thread or Spielberg thread etc etc etc. Snyder is not necessarily more prolific than other directors. IDK. It just confuses me.

I don't think there's really any reason beyond Snyder has had a lot of discourse surrounding his movies so someone made a thread because they were sick of reading about it everywhere.

I support any director based thead however.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mordiceius posted:

I say this as a Snyder fan. Snyder discussion was occasionally taking over other threads, and starting annoying slaps fights, so a thread was created for Snyder fans to talk about Snyder where they wouldn't pollute other threads. I've seen multiple mods say, "Take it to the Dome" when Snyder comes up.

That doesn't mean it should be that way. But that's how I remember it going down.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Roth posted:

The main thing imo that makes i lt hard to discuss indie movies, at least new ones that I imagine people would be jumping to talk about, is that a lot of then get very limited releases for a while.

Like a bunch of film critics out out top 10 lists last year and a lot of it was movies that just weren't widely available to people.

I think this is a really good point, but I also think that threads devoted to smaller/indie stuff could have the effect of letting people know about these movies. So even if they're not in a major city where this stuff opens on the regular, they still have an idea of whether something's worth checking out once it hits VOD/streaming/torrent sites. And that, in turn, could spur more discussion.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks to you both, I agree that CD should move back to a focus on movie specific threads vs megathreads.
There are always going to be a lot of movies that don't have enough enough discussion to sustain their own threads so I would worry that killing megathreads would end discussion of those movies.

Another approach would be to have discussion of individual movies be split off from megathreads into their own threads once there are a certain number of posts about them.

In general, I think most of the subforums that don't have a ton of posting tend to lean more towards megathreads now, as well.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 2, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So it seems in general enough people like having franchise-chat in the specific CineD environment that I'm not sure closing any megathreads is the play, but I also agree more threads for individual movies should happen. How do we encourage posters to get those going?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I just had a thought, it's a bit of an upheaval of things, but tell me if I'm crazy. I'm basing this model off of how the Traditional Games subforum is run.

On that subforum, there is the base Traditional Games subforum that is a mixture of megathreads and various discussion. Then, there is "The Game Room" sub-subforum that is individual threads for games currently being run by posters.

In CD, we have "The Film Dump" but that's not being used. Literally no one has posted in there since January. The first page goes all the way back to 2019.

So here's my proposal -

Keep CD as a "general film discussion" haven. A place for any sorts of threads about news, directors, genres, trends, etc etc.

Convert The Film Dump into a place to discuss individual films. Require all threads to have a format of something like "<Film Title> (<Year>) (<Genre>)" And then just be strict about enforcing that all threads on individual films get posted there and not CD.

I am someone who generally likes megathreads as a place to discuss a genre as a whole, but I agree that individual film threads get lost in the shuffle.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, I just had a thought, it's a bit of an upheaval of things, but tell me if I'm crazy. I'm basing this model off of how the Traditional Games subforum is run.

On that subforum, there is the base Traditional Games subforum that is a mixture of megathreads and various discussion. Then, there is "The Game Room" sub-subforum that is individual threads for games currently being run by posters.

In CD, we have "The Film Dump" but that's not being used. Literally no one has posted in there since January. The first page goes all the way back to 2019.

So here's my proposal -

Keep CD as a "general film discussion" haven. A place for any sorts of threads about news, directors, genres, trends, etc etc.

Convert The Film Dump into a place to discuss individual films. Require all threads to have a format of something like "<Film Title> (<Year>) (<Genre>)" And then just be strict about enforcing that all threads on individual films get posted there and not CD.

I am someone who generally likes megathreads as a place to discuss a genre as a whole, but I agree that individual film threads get lost in the shuffle.

I mean, I feel like the opposite should be happening - the fact that The Film Dump isn't getting used is proof that CineD can't really support any subforums. No offense to our crazy little crew but on any given day we hit like 100 concurrent users at the absolute maximum.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Roth posted:

I think we should keep Snyderdome as a general Snyder discussion thread like any other thread dedicated to a director but it would not be a containment thread.

Instead relentlessly own all the posters whining about having to see people like Snyder movies with probes.

I like the idea of more director or writer focused threads in general rather than individual movie threads. I feel like there isn't enough traffic to really make individual movie threads worth it except for the already darling flicks like John Wick series and stuff.

Genre threads like the ones for action, horror, etc. should stick around though. I see so many posters get exposed to or find movies they end up digging through those including myself.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 2, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think this entire forum should be specific movie threads, a couple of mod-favored genre threads, and one big genchat. To be brutally honest: I don't think a lot of the posters in Genchat add a lot of value for me personally and I wouldn't post there. That's ok! Clearly the thread is active and people are getting a lot from it. It's just not for me.

The whole advantage of a forum is that you can have a discussion topic and organically grow or shrink it as needed and it's sort of self policing. If nobody is talking about it the thread dies, if it gets too big usually somebody will propose a subthread. I don't think this level of structure is needed (and in my case, wanted).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 2, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm torn on mega threads. I think some of them, like the Alien thread, move at a slow enough pace that it's not much of an issue to keep up with even when news about upcoming stuff gets released or people go into toy/videogame chat.

The horror thread on the other hand is impossible to keep up with. I wish more of the movie's talked about in there had their own threads.

As for MotM I like the concept but half the time it's something so obscure that even if it looks interesting it's nowhere to be found on any streaming site so I just end up forgetting about it. I don't really know how to fix that really.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I mean, I feel like the opposite should be happening - the fact that The Film Dump isn't getting used is proof that CineD can't really support any subforums. No offense to our crazy little crew but on any given day we hit like 100 concurrent users at the absolute maximum.

CD doesn't have that many fewer people viewing the forum than TG does. I just feel like if there was a place where I knew there were threads for most films and I could look by film title, I'd probably be a bit more active around there.

I feel like having a place where megathreads and film threads co-exist gets a little messy, but I don't necessarily think the solution is "get rid of megathreads."

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think this is a terrible idea. The CBM thread is where I go for general news about the comic book world that isnt just a rumor on some website. Likewise, I go to the horror and action movie threads genre specific recommendations.

I love the what’s streaming and the green lit megathreads too - but I prefer if they were just general news thread about what was coming out soon on streaming - there’s so many garbage websites that try to do this and I trust goonworld the most.

I used to prefer individual threads when I was younger but as a lot of us got older and had kids we have to limit our time and megathreads help with that.

Please don’t make me go to GBS.

If you need help or anything I’d be willing to help.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For specific franchises they probably should go in the sci-fi wi-fi

Have you actually read any Sci-Fi Wifi threads? Most are just a bunch of low-effort jokes and surface-level chatter. A totally different vibe than the CineD threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sounds like the ideal non-confrontational content to moderate, I can see why the mods are pushing for that format