Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:siren: Rules of CineD :siren:

1) All general SomethingAwful forum rules apply here too.

2) As a general catch-all and warning, try to post like someone who's actually interested in discussing films, because that's why we're here. Low content posts, empty flaming, personal attacks can earn you a vacation.

3) DON'T BE CREEPY AND/OR A PIECE OF poo poo.

3a) “I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.” - penismightier

3b) Don't act like an actress's breasts are a separate person. Don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero. Don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds. Make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk. It's all basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.) If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else more substantial to contribute to the discussion.

3c) No bigotry

3d) Do not call people pedophiles. If you truly believe another user is involved with that poo poo please try to PM an admin or email the admin email address (forumadmins@somethingawful.com) the pertinent information. If you don’t get a response from them then PM me.

Breaking this rule will result in a ban.

4) No Piracy - Don’t link goons to places for pirating stuff.

5) Spoiler Policy: The general rule is to please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the film is, unless it's common knowledge or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have seen that specific director, studio, or film. If you are in a discussion thread for a specific filmmaker or film, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year.

If a thread title warns you of spoilers, read at your own risk!

6) Disagreeing opinions is not probation-worthy.

If you see a post that breaks the above rules, hit the report button and I'll look at it. I legitimately believe CineD to be one of the best subforums on this website. Please keep it that way by not being lovely. Think about what you're posting.

:siren::siren:
Please remember that you can use the report button for anything - not just bad mean posts! If you want a thread title changed, some other kind of edit, if you feel a poster deserves a gold medal, please feel free to alert me via that button. As well, I can be PMed anytime.

If you are unsatisfied with any decisions being made by the moderators, reach out to the admins using forumadmins@somethingawful.com or create a thread in SAD. This email may also be used to alert the admins to any emergencies on the forums in a more private way, especially if you do not have private messages.
:siren::siren:

Handy Links

Genchat

Previous Movies of the Month

Movie of the Month Sign Up Form

MotM Schedule for 2024 as of 4/23/24:
Apr. - CatstropheWaitress
May.
June.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Been thinking that it’s time for a feedback thread. I don’t want to clutter up the top of CD with too many sticky threads so I decided to make the rules thread a feedback thread as well.

I've been mod for a little over 2 years now and feel like I've grown more into the role, but I dunno, I wanna hear yalls thoughts on my modding. Is there anything I'm doing poorly? My approach has been to be mostly hands off, let posters work out their differences and to be honest there's very few reports coming out of CD.

It's movie chat so everything's pretty low stakes imo.

Some opening thoughts:

Movie of the Month suggestions ideas? It’s one of my favorite features of CD but gets little love. Would be cool to re-energize it somehow.

I want to close the CBM Megathread, I just don’t think the ongoing discussions in there are all that great and I’m pretty sure it’s more slapfights than anything else at this point. There’s some good posting, but I think it’d be better to just have individual cape flick threads whenever one is released.

I also think Snyderdome needs to be closed. It’s served its purpose as a containment thread at this point. If one of the snyderheads relaunches it as an appreciation station I won’t stop it though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks to you both, I agree that CD should move back to a focus on movie specific threads vs megathreads.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm of two minds about closing the CBM thread. On one hand I can understand not wanting to have a thread where not much discussion about cinema happens in Cinema Discusso. On the other I do feel like it serves a purpose in how it's become a thread mainly talking about business and news within one of the biggest trends this industry has ever seen. For the most part this is fine when people are talking about this and giving takes but it also seems to attract people who just treat it like it's an RSS feed, and my honest answer is I don't know what a solution for that would be.

As for Snyderdome I don't think I see too much of a point in closing it. The best thing I can think would be that it would remove a lot of the weird salt from the early days of the thread, and it irks me to refer to it as a "containment" thread because it was only meant as one entirely in bad faith - but I also really don't see the point in dredging up a bunch of drama from 2019 over it. I cherish and trust Teagone to make something better if we're going to replace it but I also really don't think it's strictly necessary.

Pirate Jet posted:

If there's anything I've learned about the SA forums it's that most people do not pay attention to any forums news or happenings until it directly affects them or wherever their bookmarks are.

I'm in favor of closing threads for mega-franchises that aren't even about movies anymore (Sci-Fi Wi-Fi seems like a better home for the Alien and Star Wars threads) but I guess I'm curious why Snyderdome and the CBM thread got singled out as examples to start with. Pretty much everyone except the most insane posters acknowledge this thread is pretty chill now and I can think of several threads more toxic than the CBM one, poo poo I'd say Who Greenlighted is worse off than it.

Pulled the bottom quote from the 'Dome into here. I'm surprised to see you say the greenlight thread is more toxic than CBM, as it seems mostly chill. I also think it's a better home for industry news poo poo.

Tbh I'm starting with Snyderdome because I'm on good terms with most of yall snyderheads (maybe not now! Lol) and figured it'd be a quick/easy transition to get a new OP that's more aligned with the Domes more chilled out tone. I admit a refresh might bring back some people looking to argue about Snyders films but yall never feared a posting tussle anyway.

CBM I picked out because at the time of drafting the rules it was in yet another tail spin of arguing old points and flaming each other. I just don't think it was leading to very good posting as a result. That's not say it's a place devoid of good posts, Robot Style is very well liked in CD and his posts in CBM are great insights, which does make me hesitant to closing down some of the megathreads, but I think he'll still contribute in other threads so it's not a huge worry. Hell maybe it'll spur someone to make a "CGI Insights" thread for discussing examples of good/bad cg, and topics related to cg in film there.

I didn't want to just start slamming shut 5-6 megathreads at once, which is why I started with an "easy" one and one I've been thinking needed to be closed (cbm) for awhile now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'll admit personal biases may be coming into play here because I personally am more interested in superheroes than Alien or Star Wars but I also think there's more of a justification to keep the CBM thread around than either of those given it's about an entire industry trend rather than one particular franchise, it's even entering a phase people would like to discuss more given the genre is showing its first signs of being on the outs.

I mean I definitely get that and it's one of the reasons I haven't formally announced the closing of CBM. My hope is to get some more feedback here on CD's opinions of megathreads to better understand folks feelings on them. I don't want this to necessarily be considered a done deal by any means.

I'll be real, while I'm fine closing a majority of CDs megathreads I had no plans to close the horror thread*. I just go in and push them to make a thread for theatrical releases so we can get more posts about Evil Dead Rise or Scream 6 or whatever. So I'm certainly guilty of having a bias for some threads myself.

*cards on the table; I do think it might be time for Horror Thread 3: The Third One.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So after seeing the feedback here and in some of the megathreads I've posted about the potential of closing megathreads, I think it's pretty obvious a good chunk of CD regulars want the megathreads to stay.

That's fair! Apparently a bad call by me that I'll own up to.

That said I do still want to push for theatrical releases and maybe some bigger streaming releases getting their own threads. I also like the idea suggested a couple times of repurposing film dump, but I'm on the fence with that. Even with the megathreads and (too many) stickied threads, individual film threads survive the front page pretty easily, or at least the small number of them currently getting made.

So perhaps a better idea will be me just being more mindful to push megathreads into making individual threads when movies come out. Like I see Sir Kodiak has already made a gotg3 thread so pushing the CBM thread to post gotg crap there is better than closing the CBM thread altogether. It's what I do in the horror thread already anyway.

My thinking with closing megathreads was basically this:
1. The insular culture of megathreads and the size/age of a megathread can be off-putting to new posters/lurkers

2. Living in your bookmarks is an issue that gets exacerbated by megathreads. If you read the CBM from your bookmarks you may miss that a GotG3 even exists, which means that thread dies before it gets off the ground, which just makes it look like CD doesn't talk about movies all that much.

Srice posted:

Yea there's an attitude 'round the forums that a thread isn't worth it if it doesn't get a lot of posts but for my money's worth even if an individual movie thread gets a single page of posts it can still be worthwhile.

Especially since it can invite discussion from folks outside of a megathread. Like for example horror isn't really my jam so I never look at that megathread, but if there's a thread for a specific horror movie I might take a look at it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard!

mutantIke posted:

I feel like independent film is also pretty under-represented from what I've seen (even more-so if it's not coming from A24)

I definitely want to encourage people to post more that usually don't and getting more indie focused threads going would be great and something I hope to figure out how to encourage more.

banned from Starbucks posted:

As for MotM I like the concept but half the time it's something so obscure that even if it looks interesting it's nowhere to be found on any streaming site so I just end up forgetting about it. I don't really know how to fix that really.

That's something I've thought about when fielding motm volunteers. I'd hate to make a rule about choosing "accessible" movies but I also get that not everyone has a bunch of streaming services or uses other means to get access. Which makes it tricky. I've debated setting up a stream that plays motm selections but that can be clunky/inconsistent, and I don't really like discord as a platform for that. Not too mention I don't really have a ton of extra time to manage a stream.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

Today hopefully

How could u do this to me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I use bookmarks and poke around the forums for threads. I'm on this site too much lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thanks for this post, but I'll also say, no need to apologize. I remember at the time being a bit salty about the idea of a snyderdome but I do think it ended up working out. I was the one to edit your OP originally, wish I had saved the original post tbh. I mostly wanted to get a new OP with someone who likes snyder enough to give it periodic updates and to reflect the more "appreciation station" vibes the thread took on.

I think some more director focused threads could be cool, even if they're shorter or slower moving.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The "thread for posting your first reactions after watching a movie" was from when BBV closed and was one of the threads I thought was active enough to move over to CD. "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen" had just always been around and I didn't think much of having two at the time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That would not be truthful or accurate!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street sub forum when

I'll pitch it for an rsf lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Would anyone like to volunteer for June movie of the month? Or a later month?

I'd like to get ahead on the motm queue for a change so I can get them included in the "around the forums" announcements.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bumping for July motm volunteers. Any takers?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zogo posted:

I see you might have a few takers in the GenChat thread. I can do it if nobody else wants to (or another future month as I don't want to monopolize). I must be in a writing mood.

Circa 2005 and 2006 there was a period where I (and a few others) ran polls to decide the MotM. Some liked it but some didn't as there was a tendency for voters to select the familiar favorites. I don't believe it had a big effect on engagement though.

I took a look at how many replies many past MotM threads received and it should be no surprise that Sci-Fi/Horror films are the bread-and-butter of CD discourse. This holds true at the very beginning and still right through today. 2001: A Space Odyssey and Zardoz were the two biggest MotM threads in the first few years. In the last couple of years the biggest threads have been The Black Hole, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Children of Men and Psycho Goreman. I haven't checked every single one but Galaxy Quest (with 251 replies) might be the top thread.

That's pretty to neat, cool of you to look into that! I suspected scifi or action flicks to be up there, nice to know horror is popular haha.

I'll keep you in mind for future MotMs if that's alright with you, I'll confirm with Gripweed about doing motm and see if SMG was serious. If they're out I'll reach out to you or CPL593H, my other reoccurring host.

The poll idea is interesting, Book Barn does the same thing so I'll look into how they do it and mull over bringing it into CD. More community involvement is always great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I realize the direction is contacting you, but it's generally unclear how to sign up for a month, as well as whether you need people to sign up, as I personally don't read the general chat thread.

Maybe also include with that information a repository of links to past MOTM threads, or of the ones going forward? I see that there is a letterboxd list of past submissions, but being able to easily read/post after the fact might help with engagement.

That's a great idea, I'm traveling right now but I'll add some detail around motm sign-ups to the OP in a few days

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

we have started a weekly movie club in blockbuster video. come check it out. dont be too weird.

I've signed up for this, looking forward to watching some good poo poo.

MacheteZombie posted:

That's a great idea, I'm traveling right now but I'll add some detail around motm sign-ups to the OP in a few days

Sorry for the delay on this!

So i've cooked up a basic google form for signing up:
https://forms.gle/a48FPRQtpApAmzyP8

It includes a link to a google sheet with the previous motms and available months through 2029 lol. I'll populate that sheet with signups when I receive them.

(if someone has a better solution or wants to punch this up with flashy graphics or whatever hit me up!)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's that time where I ask for motm volunteers again.

Who's in?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

If by chance Fran sees this any potential to get an update on the official Letterboxd list for MotM? Seems it hasn't been updated since early 2021.

https://letterboxd.com/franchescanado/list/cined-movie-of-the-month/page/2/

I've been doing it

Link is in the op as well

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thread bump: Movie of the Month list has been updated and the sign up form is working great, we already have claims in for the rest of 2023 and a couple for the first part of 2024. Appreciate all the volunteers!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It has a really bad habit of getting into the same circular arguments involving ferrinus, xenomrph, and smg. It becomes a slog to read.

When the next alien movie is nearing release I don't mind a new Alien thread being opened.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The thread has been pulled from the dumpster and out into scifiwifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey for the Movie of the Month I'd like to throw one in the suggestion queue, The Long Good Friday, a dramatic gangster movie starring Bob Hoskins as an up-and-comer who's under attack from an unknown foe. It was made right at the beginning of the Thatcher 80s and Hoskins is a real jerkass but in a very compelling way. I just watched in on a lark and was really impressed by it. The only bad news is that it's on HBO Max and not Tubi or something.

Feel free to claim a month using this form:
https://forms.gle/a48FPRQtpApAmzyP8