Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

R.L. Stine posted:

Kenny was at a kids concert years ago in like Smiths Falls Ontario of all places, presumably with his kids and he gently put his palm on my daughter's head to move her as he went through the crowd. Cancel his rear end.

All the gossip I used to hear about Kenny around Toronto was he was a notoriously scummy piece of poo poo who dated people waaaay to young for him.

No idea about Spenny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jestery posted:

Television peaked the 11th of September 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10N2AiGkwA

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

RavenousScoot posted:

no mention of mythbusters yet huh?

Mythbusters sucks because of that one loving walking in the rain episode. I’ve had way too many arguments with people that a leisurely stroll through the rain will not in fact make them smarter than people who sprinted to their destination.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Talk Shows: The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson STILL has a pretty strong cult following to this day from folks who used to tune in back in the late 00s.

Craig Ferguson was the only late night show that I actually wanted to watch. The guy just seemed immensely likeable and personable with his guests.

A few months ago I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube of him just absolutely losing it laughing on the show and it just put me in a good mood for what felt like days.

His opening monologues about the passing of his parents and his addiction were honestly heartbreaking too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah Ferguson was cool as a host because the show always felt like it was just a funny rear end in a top hat uncle hanging out with celebrities and having fun. Jimmy Fallon's show had a similar thing going on but he's not as funny.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah Ferguson was cool as a host because the show always felt like it was just a funny rear end in a top hat uncle hanging out with celebrities and having fun. Jimmy Fallon's show had a similar thing going on but he's not as funny.

Ferguson felt closer to hanging out, asking dumb bullshit then realizing "oh yeah what are you plugging awesome thanks" and it really improved the interactions with the celebrities. Doubly so for people he had a history with like Hugh Laurie.

I still remember him offering guests a chance at a big cash prize and they always jumped at it. I think it was 50 bucks, but goddamn they all lit up at the chance.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

All the gossip I used to hear about Kenny around Toronto was he was a notoriously scummy piece of poo poo who dated people waaaay to young for him.

No idea about Spenny though.

It's weird. I want to believe all TV is fake, but everything about his on-air persona was textbook sociopathic so I wouldn't really expect anything else.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

Mythbusters sucks

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That show was like 10 seasons or whatever of the nerd from the Simpsons complaining about the magic xylophone in Itchy & Scratchy

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Internet Old One posted:

Mythbusters sucks because of that one loving walking in the rain episode. I’ve had way too many arguments with people that a leisurely stroll through the rain will not in fact make them smarter than people who sprinted to their destination.

I remember watching that and getting upset about it, enough to make a simulation of it. It's been many years so my memory of it is foggy but I determined that in a very light rain it may be better to walk normally but any kind of volume beyond a light spritz makes moving faster over a fixed span better. Also, at extremely high volumes of rain and moving very quickly at impossibly high speeds will get you slightly more wet because you basically scoop up all of the rain ahead of you but a human run will generally get you less wet than a walk.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

One time I was in my car in a really bad rainstorm and I saw some guy walking get absolutely nailed by a huge splash of water from a passing bus. I laughed my rear end off but I felt bad at the same time.

God that was funny.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Shinjobi posted:

Ferguson felt closer to hanging out, asking dumb bullshit then realizing "oh yeah what are you plugging awesome thanks" and it really improved the interactions with the celebrities. Doubly so for people he had a history with like Hugh Laurie.

I still remember him offering guests a chance at a big cash prize and they always jumped at it. I think it was 50 bucks, but goddamn they all lit up at the chance.

Letterman had a good show because he liked to do fun things for the viewers and audience. Craig Ferguson had a good show because it really seemed like he enjoyed doing fun things for his guests and they responded so well to it. Of course this was also fun for the audience.

I never saw so many guests flirt so hard with a late night host as they did with Craig, or so many guests who really seemed pleased to be there.

In short, I really loved Lerman back in the 90's but i would still rather watch Craig Fergison and also i must state once again that the most distilled version of 2000's television ever produced was the show Secret Girlfriend which was on SpikeTV or Comedy Central or some poo poo

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CaptainBeefart posted:

Forgot about that one.

Can't remember if MXC was mentioned yet.

Takeshi's Castle/MXC was my jam.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

This is still the greatest Japanese game show of all time

https://www.snotr.com/video/2045/New_Japanese_show_stacking_food_on_animals

mr.winky
May 1, 2023

by vyelkin
jag

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What about the one where they locked an unsuspecting man inside a tiny windowless apartment naked until he won 1 million yen worth of prizes from mail-in sweepstakes, during which time he was only able to subsist off of things that he won from mail-in sweepstakes, like dog food and uncooked rice, and he wasn't allowed to talk to anyone in the outside world, and then after one year when he finally won 1 million yen they gave him his prize: blindfolding him and flying him to South Korea then locking him in another apartment naked and making him do the same thing all over again until he could afford a flight home - which he did so quickly that the showrunners got mad and moved the goalposts and made him get a first-class ticket, and then when he finally did and flew home to Japan they blindfolded him and took him to another apartment where he was so accustomed to this abuse that he immediately took his clothes off and got ready to start entering sweepstakes, except then the walls fell down and revealed that he was in a TV studio in front of a live audience and he was just finding out for the first time that the entire country had been mocking him going through all of this on tv every week

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jesus loving Christ ok you win lmao

It's actually a real thing!!!!!!!!

https://movieweb.com/japanese-reality-show-nasubi/

mr.winky
May 1, 2023

by vyelkin
congrats :bravo:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Wayne posted:

30 Rock had its ups and downs, but some jokes will stick with me for the rest of my life.

"Deer god, thank you for this venison. Onion god, thank you for these onions."

Jack: I never sleep on airplanes. I don’t want to be…Incepted.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I am still nerd mad about how unbelievably terrible the BSG ending was like fifteen loving years later. It was so bad it retroactively ruined the rest of the series for me except maybe the first season

Let's just fly all of our spaceships into the sun for no reason and revert to stone age technology and become cavemen for no reason and split up into small groups and never see each other again FOR NO REASON

Also all the Deus Ex Machina stuff? Sorry yeah it really was God. No deeper layer to explaining all the bits of the prophecy or hidden plot twist or or meaning to the Cylons yet to be revealed. It was just God.

Except Fatsuit Lee Adama. Nothing could ruin Fatsuit Lee Adama.

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 2, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BSG was fash-y enough to fit in quite well with the '00s "War on Terror" horseshit.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

I mean the whole struggle about military vs civil power with Adama being straight up repressive ultra authoritarian fash was a repeated ongoing major plot theme fair enough but "the whole thing is fashy full stop" is a bit much

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 2, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Vim Fuego posted:

Back when "24" was used to justify actual govt decisions, that was peak 00s tv

Specifically torturing people.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTn7_Jye8c

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

The whole series was about morally grey decisions, and that specific episode was about them not doing it after Helo stops it (if I remember right) and after they'd already been victims of genocide themselves

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Actually I just watched this and it's better than nasubi

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A CRAB IRL posted:

The whole series was about morally grey decisions, and that specific episode was about them not doing it after Helo stops it (if I remember right) and after they'd already been victims of genocide themselves

The only reason they didn't go through with a genocide was that Helo intervened just in time to save the Cylons. The arguments in favor of genocide were quite similar to the ones used for justifying torture enhanced interrogation in 2006 or so.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
https://www.hollywood.com/tv/u-s-army-invites-kiefer-sutherland-to-give-anti-torture-speech-57187406

I think about this a lot and lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Deadwood

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Pandaal posted:

They actually did bring it back on Netflix but it only lasted 6 episodes. The weekly format didn't work on the 2018 iteration of Netflix. It was called the Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale.

It actually was exactly the same as the Soup, down to the self-aware low budget skits. I miss it.

How did I miss that??

I suppose if it didn't work on netflix there's not much chance of anyone giving it another go. It kind of was perfect for cable television and I can't quite articulate why it might not work for streaming

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jersey shore

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Can't get more peak 2000's tv than a writer's strike :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pandaal posted:

They actually did bring it back on Netflix but it only lasted 6 episodes. The weekly format didn't work on the 2018 iteration of Netflix. It was called the Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale.

It actually was exactly the same as the Soup, down to the self-aware low budget skits. I miss it.

I am glad to see at least one other person mourning the loss of pizza ghost

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway OP the answer is Blind Date. I miss everything about this show, from the host, to the terrible MSPaint clip art graphics, to the matchups they'd come up with.

https://youtu.be/Ma0EOFpARjI

This guy gets drunkenly kissed and at about 5 min 45 seconds (after letting his date shave his beard) and transforms into Jean Ralphio from Parks & Rec.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

The dead octopus episode is good, but this is the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdlFfSq1kw

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

probably House

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames
Fishtank is peak 00s television in 2023.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Anyway OP the answer is Blind Date. I miss everything about this show, from the host, to the terrible MSPaint clip art graphics, to the matchups they'd come up with.

What a great/goddamn ridiculous show

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Anyway OP the answer is Blind Date.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of Pimp My Ride. Not only was it smack dab in the middle of the '00s, it also got macro-ified in the pre-meme era.

edit: I accidentally deleted my whole post somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know why, but this reminded me of Pimp My Ride. Not only was it smack dab in the middle of the '00s, it also got macro-ified in the pre-meme era.

edit: I accidentally deleted my whole post somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnF2ROKtdMY