Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

what differentiating line is there between the 2000’s and 2010’s? I don’t remember there being as much of a change in pop culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

naem posted:

what differentiating line is there between the 2000’s and 2010’s? I don’t remember there being as much of a change in pop culture

I think by 2010 a lot of social media use that was somewhat niche before was really becoming or had become mainstream and maybe the biggest thing in itself was the introduction of smartphones. I don't think Twitter really took off until closer to 2010. By 2010 even granny has a Facebook. Dating sites also went from novelty to the way people started to date by 2010.

There's also streaming. Youtube was launched in 2005 and Netflix started streaming in 2007.

I don't know if there's one thing you can point to, but don't take for granted life before everyone had a smartphone which would be a difference between 2000s and 2010 onward.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was that reality show where the kids ran the town and drank bleach

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lmao kid nation was hilarious

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

The trump administration

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TIL this is a real thing that existed and apparently was not satire.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

A CRAB IRL posted:

I am still nerd mad about how unbelievably terrible the BSG ending was like fifteen loving years later. It was so bad it retroactively ruined the rest of the series for me except maybe the first season

Let's just fly all of our spaceships into the sun for no reason and revert to stone age technology and become cavemen for no reason and split up into small groups and never see each other again FOR NO REASON

Also all the Deus Ex Machina stuff? Sorry yeah it really was God. No deeper layer to explaining all the bits of the prophecy or hidden plot twist or or meaning to the Cylons yet to be revealed. It was just God.

Except Fatsuit Lee Adama. Nothing could ruin Fatsuit Lee Adama.

Daybreak Pt III was pretty weak, but the thing I loved about re-BSG was the world and history that they built. They made the (frankly) lovely 1978 series cool for a new time, made it a commentary on (then) current events, and did it all with the tiniest of budgets. It's seriously impressive what they did with what they were given, but I was waaaayyyyy up this show's rear end when it was still airing.

Some cool stuff came out of it later, the BSG: Deadlock game is fantastic, and Blood and Chrome, while remarkably badly executed, had some cool context to add to the first Cylon war.

Regardless of the final episode, I'm always going to love every minute of that show. Hell I've rewatched it several times over the years, still love it, weak ending notwithstanding.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I still think MXC is the funniest show ever. Every single sentence is a joke. I cant even watch multiple episodes in a row because I laugh so hard at it I get tired.

Hole In The Wall also makes me cry laughing.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Pandaal posted:

They actually did bring it back on Netflix but it only lasted 6 episodes. The weekly format didn't work on the 2018 iteration of Netflix. It was called the Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale.

It actually was exactly the same as the Soup, down to the self-aware low budget skits. I miss it.

There are actually 19 episodes! Maybe you have 13 more to enjoy? I was sad that they cancelled it.

Kid Nation is incredible, highly recommend if you can find it somewhere.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I still think MXC is the funniest show ever. Every single sentence is a joke. I cant even watch multiple episodes in a row because I laugh so hard at it I get tired.

Hole In The Wall also makes me cry laughing.

There's a channel on twitch that just runs MXC episodes 24-7, if that's your thing

twitch.tv/onlymxc

Edit: aw dang it's been taken down! drat you, Bezos

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
Rock of Love
Flavor of Love
Breaking Bad?

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a channel on twitch that just runs MXC episodes 24-7, if that's your thing

twitch.tv/onlymxc

Edit: aw dang it's been taken down! drat you, Bezos

it's been free with ads on prime for a few years if you already have that

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

20 Blunts posted:

The trump administration

Lol

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sex and the City was pretty 00s

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

run on sentience posted:

There are actually 19 episodes! Maybe you have 13 more to enjoy? I was sad that they cancelled it.

Kid Nation is incredible, highly recommend if you can find it somewhere.

So what I meant by “didn’t work on the 2018 version of Netflix” was that they made it impossible to find new episodes of the show because the UI was terrible for finding anything besides what they were promoting (still is) so it’s hilarious that even as a fan of the show I thought I was caught up at 6 episodes.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Pandaal posted:

So what I meant by “didn’t work on the 2018 version of Netflix” was that they made it impossible to find new episodes of the show because the UI was terrible for finding anything besides what they were promoting (still is) so it’s hilarious that even as a fan of the show I thought I was caught up at 6 episodes.

It's definitely still terrible for that. And there's been more than one series where I've realized I've watched the entire last season first because for some reason Netflix has decided to list the seasons in reverse order or something.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

itry posted:

TIL this is a real thing that existed and apparently was not satire.

yeah it owned

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
60 Minutes Two.

It was a time when you could sit two major political rivals across from one another and people complained that they were being too cordial to one another.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

60 Minutes Two.

It was a time when you could sit two major political rivals across from one another and people complained that they were being too cordial to one another.

also when the best CBS interviewer had a bit of a lisp

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

naem posted:

We went from hip hop to EDM (this one's funny because you can pin-point the precise moment the gradual shift started).

Also we went from early 80s nostalgia to late 80s nostalgia, and then at one point we went back to early 80s nostalgia.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The Apprentice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbn7oxXh38