Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Seems like an odd property to adapt.....but I'm in. Loved the games....particularly TW2: World Tour. Will Arnett voicing Sweet Tooth is super intriguing. Writing team behind 'Deadpool' and 'Zombieland' gives me hope that they know what they are doing here.

Officially described as a “live-action comedy,” the 10-episode series appears to be more inspired by the games rather than a direct adaptation of one of their stories. Based on the teaser trailer, which sees star Anthony Mackie reloading his double-barreled death-dealer from behind the wheel of his muscle car — which is equipped with a pair of mounted machine guns that’d make James Bond jealous — it seems the show also isn’t shying away from the source material’s brand of mature, violent, high-octane shenanigans.

Twisted Metal stars Anthony Mackie, Stephanie Beatriz, Thomas Haden Church, Will Arnett, and Joe Seanoa. Mackie plays protagonist John Doe and, based on his brief appearance in the teaser, he’s having an absolute blast in the role. While more than one “John Doe” appears in the game series, it’s unclear if Mackie’s take shares anything with these mysterious characters.

More familiar to fans is Sweet Tooth, the series’ iconic baddie and sort-of poster boy. Interestingly, the show will leverage a pair of performers to play the larger-than-life role, with Joe Seanoa (aka wrestler Samoa Joe) filling the character’s clown shoes and Will Arnett voicing him.

While we mostly just get a tease of these characters in the trailer, Smith offered a bit more insight into how they’ll be fleshed out in the series: “You will cheer for our charismatic hero John Doe, played by Anthony Mackie, as he drives across the Divided States of America in search of a place to belong. And you’ll discover a surprising soulfulness to our deranged, murderous clown Sweet Tooth, voiced by Will Arnett and performed by Joe Seanoa aka wrestler Samoa Joe.”

Smith’s description also shed some light on Beatriz and Haden Church’s characters, who are absent from the trailer.

“You’ll laugh as an enigmatic woman named Quiet, played by Stephanie Beatriz, throws John’s world for a loop after a chance encounter, forcing the two together and changing both their lives for the better. You will root for our heroes to take down psychotic highway patrolman Agent Stone, played by Thomas Haden Church, who sees the world in black and blue.”

The supporting cast is more of a mystery. Guest stars will include Neve Campbell, Richard Cabral, Mike Mitchell, Tahj Vaughans, and Lou Beatty Jr., but their roles still remain a secret.

Coming from Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions, Twisted Metal sports a stacked lineup of talent behind the scenes as well. Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick — the writing team behind the Deadpool and Zombieland film franchises — are executive producing alongside stars Anthony Mackie and Will Arnett. In addition to showrunner, Smith is also an executive producer and writer on the series. Kitao Sakurai will take the directing reins for multiple episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYb_HFHJJHs

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14261112/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_7_nm_1_q_twisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

If it's a comedy it's more likely to be tonally like TM and TM: WT.

I hope to god it's not overly wacky like TM3 & TM4.

It definitely won't be anything like TM: Black or the PS3 reboot.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

And you’ll discover a surprising soulfulness to our deranged, murderous clown Sweet Tooth, voiced by Will Arnett and performed by Joe Seanoa aka wrestler Samoa Joe.”

Huh, I knew Samoa Joe was playing Sweet Tooth, I did not know he wasn't giving the voice. Bit of a shame, he's been good in everything else I've seen him in.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ugh full power!!!

Roadkill reveal was cool, I hope they blow up the Eiffel tower and also a scene where a car falls through a roof into an indoor pool.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Dell_Zincht posted:

If it's a comedy it's more likely to be tonally like TM and TM: WT.

I hope to god it's not overly wacky like TM3 & TM4.

It definitely won't be anything like TM: Black or the PS3 reboot.

I was kind of hoping for something darker.....but I'm guessing that won't be the case. So if I can have one wish.....they'll include the Los Angeles level (WT) music in a scene for fans of the game. Or better yet.....just make it the main title music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFok2t605k&list=PLEDDAFA85B1E5CB88&index=1

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Dragula no sale

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope the show does well enough for a second season a new game a port of the ps3 game. :unsmith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mn4RBWv03A

Welp

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Yeah.....I just saw this. I have a bad feeling that they are going to botch this show.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Good lord. Show needs to have a more The Running Man or Escape From New York vibe rather than... whatever this is. Anthony Mackie is a terrible choice for the lead too dude has zero charisma.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
here for the spoon man

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WHY AREN'T THEY IN CARS:byodood:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even my group of online friends outside of this forum, that really do not vibe with being openly critical of anything with gaming, were openly hating on that clip from yesterday.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Anthony Mackie's already gone on the record as saying he anticipates a six-season run for Twisted Metal, and looks forward to the in-development spinoff based on 2001's Twisted Metal: Small Brawl PS1 game, which is "like Muppet Babies on crack."

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Anthony Mackie's already gone on the record as saying he anticipates a six-season run for Twisted Metal, and looks forward to the in-development spinoff based on 2001's Twisted Metal: Small Brawl PS1 game, which is "like Muppet Babies on crack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAc3P1Htxro

dudes a lil off as a human being, so, 7 seasons + movie confirmed

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

drat, this was one of my favorite video game series to play as a kid and i was excited when i saw the thread title + dubious when i saw the teaser, but i couldn't even make it through that sneak peek.

who is this even being marketed to? scary looking guy doing violence with a casual coolness and hella one-liners seems like a very teen/tween thing, but kids these days won't know who the gently caress ricky martin is nor what twisted metal even was. and it's too simple and cringe for us olds. it's like they made the marvel stuff even dumber but also missed out on the point that a lot of dumb marvel content is consumed by younger generations.

why did they do this, i hate them

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

matureaudiencesonly posted:

but kids these days won't know who the gently caress ricky martin is nor what twisted metal even was
Or even the lyrics to the Thong Song.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
This appears to be marketed toward the guys who played TM2 and have stayed 13 years old since 1998.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 11, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It could just be jntended as a fun comedy action show that takes inspiration from an old game, marketed at people who enjoy fun comedy action shows.

I mean, yeah, that clip's pretty bad but I imagine the intended audience isn't that different from something like Future Man, Happy! or Blood Drive.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
have you people never seen a james gunn movie

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've never even heard of James Gunn and I take a lot of pride in that truth and intend to keep it that way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow. I only played TW a little back in the day, after Carmageddon it never really clicked for me. This seems like an extremely bizarre choice for making into a tv show but now I'll have to see what they make of it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I've got it on good authority that what they will make of it will not be good, which sucks because the Twisted Metal franchise has been dying for a live action adaptation for twenty years.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
James Gunn's Peacemaker is sublime... this, looks, to be not

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Sacrist65 posted:

This appears to be marketed toward the guys who played TM2 and have stayed 13 years old since 1998.

Well said.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

New trailer is a definite improvement over what I've seen previously.....but not by a ton. Appears that they might not hold back on the violence.....which is the right move considering the source. They are going to need a lot of expendable characters to make this work.....so I guess we'll see there. A few recognizable cars have appeared so far. My main concern right now is that the "jokes" in the trailers have been bad.....and this trailer is definitely trying to push a comedic tone.....which doesn't bode well. I'm hoping that this is more a case of poor editing and marketing than it is writing. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QNZ44zKzjo

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

New trailer is a definite improvement over what I've seen previously.....but not by a ton. Appears that they might not hold back on the violence.....which is the right move considering the source. They are going to need a lot of expendable characters to make this work.....so I guess we'll see there. A few recognizable cars have appeared so far. My main concern right now is that the "jokes" in the trailers have been bad.....and this trailer is definitely trying to push a comedic tone.....which doesn't bode well. I'm hoping that this is more a case of poor editing and marketing than it is writing. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I already saw this show a few years ago as Blood Drive. Mackie seems to find some real clunkers but I guess you gotta pay the bills or build a new house.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Blood Drive was something else. Some of the characters and situations in that show slithered all over the line kind of like Lexx did. Absolutely fearless trash.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm one episode in and this is pretty fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

that wasnt bad. Ill give it a shot. been playing 2 since it hit ps5 and this seems pretty in keeping.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Please watch this show, it was amazing. It only gets better more episodes in

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Having finished it, it's a pretty fun show that acts as the streaming TV equivalent of the newer Mortal Kombat movie. It's a lot of neat, and at times nonsensical, world building that frustratingly promises to "do the thing" in the next chapter. It's also one of those adaptations where characters share names of people from the source material, but only have minor connections to them.

Like Agent Stone in the games: guilt-ridden police sniper who lost his temper during a hostage situation and accidentally killed a little girl. Would do anything to go back and set things right.

Agent Stone on the show: was basically Jim Carrey's character from the beginning of Me, Myself and Irene, if he existed during the opening days of the apocalypse. Lost his temper when he chose "the law" over what was right and people disrespected him one time too many, causing him to shoot a bunch of people he later claimed were "terrorists" and accidentally shoot up a little girl in the process. Blamed everyone but himself and decided he would force the country back to order via cold fascism.

But then you get Mr. Slam. In the game: an architect who lost his mind after people mocked his dream to create the tallest skyscraper in the world. On the show: Gallagher, but with his penis.

Sweet Tooth is great in it. He starts off as a villain-of-the-week, but then becomes this recurring supporting character who is at times surprisingly endearing, but at other times ominous and disturbing. He's a wildcard where it's a crapshoot of whether or not you're happy to see him. His origin story is absolutely ridiculous.

The "Thong Song" clip from months back makes more sense in context. The apocalypse happened in 2002, so a lot of society and the show itself is stuck celebrating the mediocrity of late-90s/early-00s pop culture.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Brutally unfunny. So the writers decided that half of Mackey's lines should be bad "jokes". After one episode.....this is my only takeaway.

I'll probably watch more because I think it's probably going to be at least entertaining......but I'm not sure who this was written for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Brutally unfunny. So the writers decided that half of Mackey's lines should be bad "jokes". After one episode.....this is my only takeaway.

I don't think all the lines are meant to be Class A zingers, everyone makes fun of the character for being a cocky, stupid motormouth. My friend compared the character with John Crichton off Farscape -- a PTSD addled meathead who can't stop talking (and particularly can't stop making terrible pop culture references) because he's been broken by culture shock. It works, IMO.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm not sure who this was written for.

Me!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

No Axel no care.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Show good, dig the millennial childhood soundtrack and the world building. Didn't play the game ever but PSX era had lots of weird car games. The CGI feels intentionally bad at times and it kinda makes things more funny.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I never even knew this was a thing until someone on Twitter(X?!) said they liked it better than the Halo series, which I thought was just this side of entertaining enough to keep watching. So I'd probably enjoy this as well.

Don't have a Peacock subscription though. Maybe I'll dig out my OG Playstation and see if it still works. It's been packed in its travel case for like 21 years lol.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Trailers made this look like it would be total poo poo but I'm 6 episodes in and it's pretty fun action/comedy. They've obviously changed a lot from the games but it's not like the early games were super story heavy. All I can remember from them is the crazy ending cutscenes with Calypso doing his monkey paw wish thing. They've nailed the wackiness in this show without going too far imo.

I also like what they've done with Sweet Tooth where he's a crazy psycho but also maybe a semi good guy in a weird way? It's at least more interesting that just having him be a crazy enemy for the protagonist all season.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 29, 2023

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Releasing the Thong Song clip was strange considering it's a bit of a surprise in the show, Sweet Tooth is built up as a Big Bad and having him be a bit of a tweener/wild card was a good idea. The context makes that scene much better.

I liked it, a couple of times I was just in wonder something like this has been made. The Zombieland/Deadpool influence is strong. Doing the art design/costumes/props on this must have been an amazing job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Much better after getting past the first episode and introducing more characters. The cheekiness of Mackey's character just hasn't worked much.