Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxNZix1Xwc

The first 14 games from the last couple weeks were a tie. Those games are like 4 hours long each so they're boring. But today is the tiebreaker and the games are rapid so they're more watchable. There's like 4 games I think. They're playing the first one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Wendigee posted:

Thank you

You're Welcome

The first game was a draw :rock:

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
why don't these mofos just play dota 2

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schweinhund posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxNZix1Xwc

The first 14 games from the last couple weeks were a tie. Those games are like 4 hours long each so they're boring. But today is the tiebreaker and the games are rapid so they're more watchable. There's like 4 games I think. They're playing the first one now.

How can you have a tiebreaker with an even number of games? What if they both win 2? Flip a coin?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

If the 4 games are split then they do blitz games which are even faster. Chess games are draws a lot, so even if it's an odd number it can be tied. With even numbers they each play black or white the same number of times.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

First 3 games were draws. If someone wins the next one, they win the championship.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

do we know if either of them has a buttplug that is communicating with a chess engine

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Chess is so broken at the grandmaster level...it's pretty clear that these guys memorized the best lines for every possible combination for the first 15 moves or whatever...so what I'm saying is that grandmasters should only play chess960 in the tournament settng.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I love watching these commentators do like 10 moves in the future on the demo board, because it never ends up being what they're talking about and there's like millions of other combinations of moves that the board could end up looking like. I guess it's just a good way to fill dead air time because you can only analyze the state of the live board so much.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Toxic Mental posted:

I love watching these commentators do like 10 moves in the future on the demo board, because it never ends up being what they're talking about and there's like millions of other combinations of moves that the board could end up looking like. I guess it's just a good way to fill dead air time because you can only analyze the state of the live board so much.

me as a noob on chess.com when the analysis calls my move a missed opportunity because i didn't see the chance to take a free pawn 14 moves into the future

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm more of a checkers man myself, Chess is way too pretentious

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

me as a noob on chess.com when the analysis calls my move a missed opportunity because i didn't see the chance to take a free pawn 14 moves into the future

Yeah chess.com humbles the poo poo out of me regularly

Also this is neat and all but someone lemme know when it’s time for the Spelling Bee

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

The last game was intense. Here's the last 10 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxNZix1Xwc&t=15979s

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Centrist Dad posted:

Chess is so broken at the grandmaster level...it's pretty clear that these guys memorized the best lines for every possible combination for the first 15 moves or whatever...so what I'm saying is that grandmasters should only play chess960 in the tournament settng.

They just memorize as many AI moves as can fit in their brains afaik. Makes me think of chess as more of a memoization competition.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Queens gambit much?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao it has a gamer aesthetic unlike the beautiful set pieces in Netflix limited series “the queens gambit.” Epic Herman miller chairs and advertising backdrop so ugly bro

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Chess should be elegant!!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Magnus Carlson could clown either one of these clowns.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its just a bunch of AI communicating moves through vibrating buttplugs

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Lmao it has a gamer aesthetic unlike the beautiful set pieces in Netflix limited series “the queens gambit.” Epic Herman miller chairs and advertising backdrop so ugly bro

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Chess should be elegant!!!!

gotta agree wit da op here

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

gotta agree wit da op here

The man spittin truth once again

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
haven't read the thread so i'm sure someone else probably said it but chess champions give the BEST head. Like, I don't know why. I feign a passing interest in chess just for the dome and sometimes I feel guilty about it but like, when, it's happening, when a grand master got the shaft on turbosqueeze and I think I'm about to nut BUT NO another five minutes of bliss elapses and i'm just like WHAT?!?!?!?! all that guilt dissipates and I remember why I love Chess and the bitch who starred in Netflix's Chess Bitch, the Blow Jobs. IT's all about the Blow Jobs.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Beatiful Beth Harmon deftly moving her pawns in The Grand Hotel of Mexico City, impeccable ?midcentury modern aesthetic on lock as the analog timer clicks away vs two louts slouched in mismatched Herman miller gaming chairs in front of a call of duty backdrop with black on white sans serif lettering saying something about chess. Fall from grace much?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Chess sucks it's too hard I hate it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Beatiful Beth Harmon deftly moving her pawns in The Grand Hotel of Mexico City, impeccable ?midcentury modern aesthetic on lock as the analog timer clicks away vs two louts slouched in mismatched Herman miller gaming chairs in front of a call of duty backdrop with black on white sans serif lettering saying something about chess. Fall from grace much?

Is this too long for a thread title?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should sit in wing back leather armchairs with a decanter of brandy on a sideboard in the background.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Can't watch chess. The bishop looks like a dick and it just makes me too horny.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MuadDib Atreides posted:

i got two louts for u right here, op

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

vs

Took quite a tumble bro!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Nerd grand prix, eh?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Bro on the right's flag is just a chess flag. wheres he from bro?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do they each have their own chair sponsor?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
The best chess match is still Boris Morris v Wanda Skutnik in 1977. Classic demonstration of the Sicilian Defense.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Chesslaslovakia

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Chess does not acknowledge the Russian state right now.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

goatface posted:

Chess does not acknowledge the Russian state right now.

lol whenever there's an "independent player" in world championships it's always a Russian who can't play under Russia due to sanctions.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Schweinhund posted:

The last game was intense. Here's the last 10 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxNZix1Xwc&t=15979s

Literally can’t get over how ugly and slapdash this is

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

Do they each have their own chair sponsor?

Looks like that OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I confidently lean back and look at my chess opponent. "King me," I say, and I am the new chess queen.