Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Moving things along...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#04 - Oct 2024 through Mar 2026 Mayor's Office Memos

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I really need to cut back on how much I'm covering in each update. This sucker took me 8 hours across two days to write.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
It's me, Sterling Hunter, one of the guys on your council. I just wanted to say if you even attempt to change the name of one of my roads, I will sue. If you've watched the recent news, then you'll know S.H. & Sons & Daughters doesn't hold back.

Sincerely, Sterling Hunter Sr.

DoubleNegative posted:

I really need to cut back on how much I'm covering in each update. This sucker took me 8 hours across two days to write.

Yeah, that seems like a bit too much time to spend on an update. I wouldn't know what that is like. Ahaha... haha... ha...

hobbies, am i right

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is this one of the default maps? It might be the one where the lazy devs never bothered to check properly and left it broken since release so you'll get those weird waves forever. I could be remembering wrong but doesn't a medium field take up twice as much space as two small ones, cost more than twice as much but produces less than twice as much? :v:

8 hours is definitely on the long side. :stare:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Poil posted:

Is this one of the default maps? It might be the one where the lazy devs never bothered to check properly and left it broken since release so you'll get those weird waves forever. I could be remembering wrong but doesn't a medium field take up twice as much space as two small ones, cost more than twice as much but produces less than twice as much? :v:

8 hours is definitely on the long side. :stare:

Yeah, Dust Bowl is one of the maps that came with the Natural Disasters DLC. The cursed river shenanigans are pretty well known. Apparently this is because the river is too flat and needs either a slight downward incline across its entire length or just more variance in the riverbed altogether. One map maker on reddit suggests creating mini "waterfalls" beneath the surface of the water. This comment was posted 5 years ago. So it's been a problem for a very, very long time now. :eng99:

Also I'm afraid of what looking too closely at the farm production ratios would do to my building. I'm one of those people that, after they found Factorio, bookmarked the cheat sheet site and started only making things in efficient ratios. With that said, I'll take a look at the fields and see how much the medium produces compared to the small. It'll be good knowledge to have!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just like the lakes map. With the release of the dlc which added ferries and canals they made a new map heavily forested with several large lakes. For some reason they made all of the lakes at different heights so if you did the obvious thing and try and connect them with the new canals you'd end up with basically a bunch of log flumes and uncontrolled flooding.

Same about looking up ratios, why do all that difficult work when someone smarter has already done so? Especially long before you're familiar with how the game even works.

I had a weird dream last night that I was playing skylines and needed to organize the industry but couldn't remember how.
The health park looks really good. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 13, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#05 - May 2027

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 30, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Looks lovely! What did you use for the retaining walls? The vanilla quays?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Looks lovely! What did you use for the retaining walls? The vanilla quays?

Yep! Just enabled anarchy so I could place them anywhere and then put them over the ugly dirt cliffs. My LP mod pack has some retaining walls that I tried to put down but they don’t have corner pieces so they don’t work as cleanly as I’d like.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well now that we have a BoobtownHooterville, we need to have another nearby neighborhood named Twin PeaksBeaks, because both neighborhood have owls with beaks, of course

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just wanted to chime in to say this is a great LP!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Slaan posted:

Well now that we have a BoobtownHooterville, we need to have another nearby neighborhood named Twin PeaksBeaks, because both neighborhood have owls with beaks, of course

Hey, Council Head. It's me again, Sterling Hunter. The S.H. & Sons & Daughters one. Just wanted to let you know that I'm in favor the next district being called Twin Beaks.

My second son and first daughter really like birds and they would love this. That's all. This isn't a cover up to have the town named with silly innuendo, you have my word. And my word in unbeatable in court, so don't try me. Even if this was an excuse... there's worse town names in the world, right?

Also the husband wants more libraries. We should get on that.

See you at the next council.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Smokestack City, as the smallest district, is looking a little barren. So that's a good spot for a library. And I think Twin Beaks will fit in nicely behind Windmill Top, which is where all the wind power generators are. That will also make it a suburb of Bailville and will give me an excuse to set up a couple of bus routes between it and Main Street.

The next update is gonna be the rest of the last recording session, which is mostly letting Hooterville and Spring Gardens grow. But the one after that will feature Twin Beaks and at least one library being built. I kinda want to push to 5,000 population by the end of the next session.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Things are looking good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Yep! Just enabled anarchy so I could place them anywhere and then put them over the ugly dirt cliffs. My LP mod pack has some retaining walls that I tried to put down but they don’t have corner pieces so they don’t work as cleanly as I’d like.

:O this is a gamechanger for me

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

:O this is a gamechanger for me

Oooh, that looks really good! The quays retaining walls with the little pedestrian bridge spanning them, framing the city entrance, look so inviting.

Also, gonna record the next several updates tonight. The DLC packs drop tomorrow, so mods are no doubt gonna be broken as poo poo for the better part of a week or two. And if it turns out the save is bricked because of broken mods, then we'll just start over somewhere else. With a less cursed river!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Also, gonna record the next several updates tonight. The DLC packs drop tomorrow, so mods are no doubt gonna be broken as poo poo for the better part of a week or two. And if it turns out the save is bricked because of broken mods, then we'll just start over somewhere else. With a less cursed river!

I got tired last night and went to bed instead of staying up late recording. Got up this morning to hopefully beat the patch and...

:negative:

So while we wait the requisite 2-3 weeks for mods to unfuck themselves, I guess I'll show off some other city builders!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DoubleNegative posted:

I got tired last night and went to bed instead of staying up late recording. Got up this morning to hopefully beat the patch and...

:negative:

So while we wait the requisite 2-3 weeks for mods to unfuck themselves, I guess I'll show off some other city builders!

The eternal battle between mods and updates: the losers are always us :negative:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#06 - Acrossways Interlude Part 1 - Urbek City Builder

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 8, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, that game looks pretty nice, thanks for playing it!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yup! That fishing area looks adorable. :3:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been messing with one of my mature Urbek cities and just took a look at my food production:

:stare: Those fisherman houses are nuts.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#07 - Acrossways Interlude Part 2 - Urbek City Builder

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 18, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm not that into city builders as a puzzle game, but I can see why most of the games in that genre turn into that, especially the lower budget ones. Cities skylines is basically the ideal form of the city builder for me, but there's a lot that I feel it's missing, or it doesn't do correctly...

Anyway if any of y'all wanted to look into an even more abstract city builder game, look into Islanders .

In any case, it's a neat little game! Thanks for showing it off!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I don't have anything to show just yet, but I want to tell a little story. I sat down earlier this week to start recording more gameplay for this, pick it back up after its 5-week hiatus. I was going to start a new city and everything because the old one was too inextricably linked with now-defunct mods.

I loaded into the game late at night on the 11th and this is what Windows Resource Monitor looked like:

C:S was using 90-95% of all available memory and the rest was rapidly filled by junk data from Standby. It wasn't the sort of environment conducive to recording gameplay. So I elected to fix the problem. And, now, as of this afternoon:

I certainly hope 64GB is enough to play and record!

So, stay tuned because there's more hardcore city building action coming soon.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#08 - November 2027 Letter to the Bailville Planning Council

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 24, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice. But those houses, so many green trees despite being in the desert. At least they don't all have green and lush lawns. Are we permitted to vote against oil? :v:

Those fish islands scream out for some googly eyes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I for one, didn't believe in the corruption charges levied against our Mayor at all! And have you seen what the new Mayor has done to our beautiful town? No, I'm moving, and I don't care that this will just increase some corporate idiot's bottom line! To Sandy Shades!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I see Project Manhattan needs another ancillary town.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Dang, all those trees are going to need access to a lot of water. Does Shady Sands have canals ala Portland, or is there just one heck of an aquifer down there?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Shady Sands looks like a delightful little place. Hopefully the Mayor's tenure here lasts longer! Hopefully we can preserve those natural fish islands.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DarkLich posted:

Dang, all those trees are going to need access to a lot of water. Does Shady Sands have canals ala Portland, or is there just one heck of an aquifer down there?

If so many years of playing Dwarf Fortress has taught me anything, it's that places so close to the ocean - like Shady Sands - have massive saltwater aquifers. That's my story at least, and I'm sticking to it. It's best to also not ask questions about why everyone living there is drinking that saltwater right from the bay.

Poil posted:

Nice. But those houses, so many green trees despite being in the desert. At least they don't all have green and lush lawns. Are we permitted to vote against oil? :v:

Those fish islands scream out for some googly eyes.

You're welcome to vote against oil if you want, but if the LP goes on long enough, I'd ideally like to have one of each industry area.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That terrain is just begging for a huge straight avenue down to the beach. Ideally it would be lined by palm trees.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We need an ice rink Brought To You By BPtm in our main park to be sure.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm wondering - how bog of an airport can be built with that sort of terrain?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You can easily hit a 5 star airport, with room for a shockingly massive cargo hub, in a space less than half a tile in size.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#09 - March 2028 Shady Sands Development Council Minutes

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 1, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We all know that crabs and lobsters are the superior fish. No to salmon, yes to shellfish :crab:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

A fishing industry sounds good! Not sure how green it is but-