Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A few months ago I finally watched Neil Breen's Twisted Pair and started anticipating his next movie. I started thinking how it has been awhile since I'd seen a director that really captured my imagination in the sphere of "Directors Who Feel Like They've Never Seen A Movie Before." The Room and Birdemic were well over a decade ago, and Neil Breen has hit after hit. David DeCoteau got a little kind of attention after A Talking Cat?!? went viral but his other similar movies didn't get that same following.

I asked the friend I was with who would be the next Breen and then realized I was being stupid, we had seen that movie: The Badge, The Bible & Bigfoot.

If you like bad movies you've probably come across it on Tubi, it got a little bit of attention a couple years ago, but not as much as I expected and I even forgot about it for awhile. If you haven't watched it, it's an hour long and beyond what you'd expect from that image has some of the most bizarre shots I've ever seen.

https://tubitv.com/movies/636060/the-badge-the-bible-and-bigfoot?start=true

But Bigfoot didn't prepare me for what we got next. After our Breen conversation we immediately watched Halloween Hero.

https://tubitv.com/movies/636526/halloween-hero?start=true

Halloween Hero is where we discovered the absolute weirdest thing about the directing style of Ashley Hays Wright: if they have more characters than the number of people in their family, they put a mask on one of them and have them play that character. Typically they try to hide it by having the head tilted as far forward as they can which looks absolutely bizarre.

So who is behind these movies?
Wright Family Films is a family of five who appear to live on a small farm in Maine. Their three daughters are home schooled and the films are all directed by the mother Ashley Hays-Wright. They have a youtube channel where you can find a few of their movies not on Tubi, plus some shorts and other stuff about their life that I don't care about. The husband is either a cop or a person who wants to be a cop more than anyone in the history of cops. He typically quotes scripture and they seem to strongly believe in the husband being the head of the household. So the movies are exactly what you'd expect from this family, but also not since they make Bigfoot movies and horror movies about Leaf Creatures.

It seems like everything they have goes into their movies. They use the farm as much as possible, and made several period pieces to feature it. However they didn't realize they don't have enough buildings on the property to actually do that. So you get scenes in Fear Falls where a shot, reverse shot scene is filmed with both people in front of the same wall, slightly re-dressed to try to disguise it.

They put out a LOT of content. There's a bunch of repeats, but in four years Ashley has 40 IMDB credits. Even if you narrow it down they have half a dozen movies on Tubi and a few more on their youtube page. They've made horror movies, Christmas horror movies, Christmas family movies, a silent movie, rapture movies and most recently a family movie about a horse. The movies have slowly improved over time and more closely resemble movies, but are still deeply weird movies.

https://dove.org/review/290654-the-badge-the-bible-and-bigfoot/
These films have such a small following that they introduced me to dove.org because dove is the third search result for some of their films. Dove is a Christian movie review site that is about as good as the old CAP Alerts. They rate movies in six negative categories (sex, language, violence, drugs, nudity and other) and two positive categories (faith and integrity.) Wright Family Films typically scores very high with only one movie not being recommended by Dove.

If any of this sounds appealing, give one of these movies a watch. They are some of the weirdest stuff going right now. Or maybe these movies are more widely known than I realize and there are lots of Wright Family Fanatics out there. I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU