Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a nice infographic of just how stupid the studios are being:

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1653272585252257793?t=TnbF7GJ7IGSDklZ-nJP0UQ&s=19

I've yet to see a situation that changes my default position of "gently caress Management" in Labor-Management negotiations.

I don't understand half the terms, but holy lol @the AI part.
Writers ask for regulation preventing AI from cutting them out of their job. Get rejected. The counter-offer:
"An annual meeting to discuss advancements in technology"

Like, basically "not only are we going to gently caress you and use AI in the process, we're proposing an annual meeting to show you how much better we can use AI to gently caress you in the future"

Just loving reject the offer and make no counter-offer, you absolute ghouls, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Good loving lord, all of this is beyond belief

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...talities-deaths

24-y/o college senior kills two folks while hammered, spends her time in custody relatively lucid (for her .26 BAC) laughing, singing, and worrying about going to class, getting her car back, graduating in 4 weeks, and isn't concerned after repeatedly being told she vehicular-homicided two people, because her friends are gonna take her to Vegas for her birthday.
:stare:

quote:

Melgoza: "You never answered me about my car. I have school tomorrow, so how do I get my car?"
Police: "Well, your car is totaled."
Melgoza: "It's what?"
Police: "Your car is totaled."
Melgoza: "Total, total?"
Police: "Totaled. Wrecked."
Melgoza: "OK, so how do I get it here then?"
Police: "You don't."
Melgoza: "So, I don't go to school tomorrow is what you're telling me?"
Police: "No. ma'am. You want me to be honest with you? You're going to jail. You don't have a bond. You killed two people tonight. I don't think you understand that. You do not have a bond. You are not getting out of jail. Your car is property of East Peoria Police Department because it's a crime scene. It killed two people tonight. You are clueless with that. Clearly, I've already explained this to you. You're going to jail for reckless homicide tonight. You're going to jail for aggravated DUI for killing two people. That's what's going on. So, no you're not going to school tomorrow. You're not getting your car out of impound."
Melgoza: "Can I get it Tuesday for my night class?"
Police: "Did you just hear what I just told you?
Melgoza: "You said I'm not going tomorrow. I'm talking about Tuesday."
Police: "Did you hear what I said?"
Melgoza: "You said, 'you're going to jail tomorrow.'"
Police: "You're going to jail right when we're done here. Did you understand what I told you? That you killed two people tonight?"
Melgoza: "Yes. I'm just wondering when I can go to school."
Police: "OK, we're done. You're all on body camera being completely careless about killing two people tonight. You could care less. That's sad and pathetic and horrible all at the same time."
Melgoza: "Can you say that as a cop?"
Police: "Yes, ma'am. I can."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHaHwcAPaw&t=1089s

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 7, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It happened in April of 2022, and the body camera footage was only released as part of the court proceedings.
She was sentenced to 14 years, two counts aggravated DUI, two counts aggravated reckless driving.

/edit:
I also have it on good authority that college kids drink a shitton and driving while drunk is "no big deal"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I fully agree that there's no reason to generally demonize someone based on a context-less depiction of their conduct, no discussion there, but I feel like some of y'all are kinda missing the point that you're making yourselves

Grip it and rip it posted:

If somebody is .26 and they're not a regular alcoholic

That's pretty much the issue. Look at her traffic stop, listen to her talk with the on-scene officer.

orange juche posted:

I can also understand how at 0.26 you literally are unaware of your surroundings and have approximately 1 neuron in your brain working)

Fully agreed, I'm right there with you.
Now watch her traffic stop.

Outside of slurred speech, she forms coherent sentences, is aware of time and place, responds to the officer's questions perfectly fine, and compared to other folks with much lower BAC I've seen fail spectaculary in field sobriety tests, she doesn't even fail it hard.
Like, when I saw the traffic stop vid, I thought to myself "oh yeah, she's absolutely had too much to be driving", thinking it'd be like 0.1 or something

She had point. two. six. BAC.

If we're gonna argue that at .26 BAC a normal human being cannot physically function and their brain doesn't work, then I'm gonna point at the video of her brain working and her body physically functioning like mine does when I've had like five beers, and say "that there is a person with a history of substantial alcohol abuse based on the point you're making".

Like, good on her for saying the only correct thing at sentencing, vowing to learn from her mistake and apologizing for the family. Maybe she learns from this. Cool beans.
I'm gonna be over here assuming that by the way she can conduct herself at point two loving six BAC, she's absolutely been fully indulgent in the continuous college binge-drinking experience, and I also have very strong doubts that this was the first time she drove under the influence. I'm also assuming this very thing may have been presented in court with corroborating evidence, leading to the 14 year sentence.

Maybe I'm biased because I've lost friends to drunk drivers, or had three years in an American college observing the completely broken drinking-and-driving culture in college, but two people had their lives ended by her, and based on what was reported and what I can see with my own eyes, I don't feel a strong sense of assuming she's going to learn from this or even "putting her actions into context.", sorry.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 7, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I once ended a date when the woman mentioned that she and her friends had learned how to drive drunk in high school. She really didn't seem to see the problem since they never got in a wreck or got caught.

People really do overestimate their own abilities as drivers when they're sober, and catastrophically so if they think they can safely operate a car after drinking.

I still recall the single time I got into something that could even remotely come close to "a disagreement of opinions" with my Korean roommates at NAU in the fall/spring of 2016/2017. Quotation marks because I was the Oppa and my guidance was the gospel as an old person in their book for some reason.
They had another Korean friend that was there on an F-1 visa for a full 4-year degree as opposed to the J-1 visas they were riding for 2 semesters, and she had both a car and an off-campus apartment, which was "the holy grail" for international students. She was also 20 years old.

I repeatedly told them I don't have the remotest moral issue with her drinking at our place because I'm loving German, but if Campus cops bust our place, my visa was always at risk because I'm the 30-year old that is somehow "harboring" underage alcohol consumption. (there were, bizzarely enough, precedents for my concerns)
My attempt at a compromise was to tell them I'd be fine with her drinking at our place as long as long as we were flying under the radar, and not attracting campus cops' interest.
I later learned that she was driving home from our little apartment events every single time.

So I confronted my roommates about it and told them she's no longer welcome at our place if she's gonna drink and drive.
That was the first time my roomates deviated from their cultural conditioning of just "deferring to the wisom of the old man", because after 8 months of living in Arizona, they had understood that drinking and driving is fine "if you live on Campus or live just off campus, and there's no traffic when you're driving home anyway".

It still bugs me to this day, and is the reason for my anectodal-evidence-based assumption that drinking-and-driving is fine as long as you're in college/on campus.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 7, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'll gladly swallow the poop-pill over ever having to read the term "fecal-transplant" ever again

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Gee, how ever are we to infer what motive the shooter might have had

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

YouTube is apparently "experimenting" with adblocker detection and disabling content for those that use them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/google-responds-to-reports-of-ad-blockers-being-banned-on-youtube

Guess that's one way to convince folks to shell out for YouTube premium...if they actually go through with it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

idgi

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There is no :ohno: big enough

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Whats the Figge Department?

Google "figging"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:gaysper: