Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Writers Guild of America goes on strike tomorrow, so hope you like reality TV!

gently caress Netflix and all the streaming services and their bullshit pay structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Does anyone have some links on the whole Disney is evil thing?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

Like Tucker Carlson has ever been in a fight

he fought for every dime of his chicken tendy inheritance

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I believe all of this information has been made public due to a judicial disclosure law that was passed recently. I'm sure that there are a number of parties with cases before the court that are very interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It does appear that factions within the conservative right have been making very deliberate inroads into SCOTUS in an effort to help shape legal interpretation. Whether that is a tolerable state of affairs for the right, let alone the whole country, remains to be seen.

but yeah I wouldn't wait on congress or SCOTUS if you want to see any type of progress in this country.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Normal country. He goes completely off the deep end in the comments.

https://twitter.com/weather_katie/status/1653380484024369158

ugh everyone on twitter loving sucks

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

I'm generally preoccupied with the concept of the "point of no return" in our political stuff. Not necessarily that things can't ever be fixed after that mythical point, but it basically becomes impossible to not fix it. The American system always yields work-arounds, or different ways to tackle problems, eg: Congress passes a law, supreme court overturns, Congress passes identical law once again with a teensy tweak, etc. But sometimes, the work-arounds just kinda run out.

I'm thinking 2016 was one of those points of no return. That cemented a 6-3 majority that can just go "these new ethics laws are unconstitutional because lol". And naturally, a Congress that would actively attack a runaway court (pulling funding, repeatedly passing laws, subpoenas, investigations, etc) is... not a Congress we've had or will have anytime soon.

Guess I'm entitled to a doomer post every now and then! But, here's to hoping the Proud Boys got a guilty verdict that's about to be read!

This country survived a literal civil war and two world wars. Things definitely suck and aren't turning around quickly, but our history is actually full of incredibly bleak and difficult moments. Things can certainly get a lot worse from where we are today, but they can also get a lot better.

An important take away is that Millennials are the dominant political group at this point. Our interest and input into the political process has never been more important than it is right now. We will most likely continue to be the most influential demographic in terms of pure voting power for the foreseeable future.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

"Once the olds are gone and my generation takes over, things will be great" has been the rallying cry of every generation in history.

So what? Society has been progressing pretty steadily since the end of the middle ages.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That Works posted:

Yes and it still hosted multiple genocides and holocausts along the way. It's hard to be comforted by the "long arc of history bending towards justice" when the current justices are bending over for Nazi cash.

I agree with your optimism but I think the future "good times" are going to be outside of the USA for the upcoming generation.

They're openly bending over for Nazi cash - this is hardly the first time that some figure has done something that could have exerted inappropriate influence on the court. Stories like this one are exactly what's needed right now : a serious lapse in judicial ethics that eventually demand a response from congress or society at large. It would be so very easy for someone like Mr. Crowe to hide exactly where all the gifts and money were coming from, but they don't even bother, because there has never been any kind of consequence previously. Hopefully this kind of reckless behavior will spur on reform, and might accelerate the process of addressing some of the more glaring problems in our government.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah Tomi T whoever seems like a loving moron - it's a civil case and certainly isn't a life or death situation. poo poo like that makes me hate pundits and the loving idiots who take them seriously.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Seems like a pretty benign thing to get up in arms about, particularly given the composition of the court. What exactly do you think the messaging should be? We are going to impeach Thomas?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I think the dems are probably sticking on the defensive because they realize that there is more dirt to dig and they are in an incredibly tenuous spot. Biden is old as gently caress and not a super well loved president, despite doing a pretty good job. They 100% are looking to avoid any unforced errors that could hurt his campaign, I would imagine that there may be some skeletons in the closet of the Liberal SCOTUS justices that they are concerned might get brought to the forefront.

Zamujasa posted:

"Stick to what's real and possible" is the kind of poo poo that was being fed to us back in 2008 shortly after Obama won on his huge Hope and Change platform and proceeded to ditch it in favor of "well, it's the best we can do" centrism. Sorry, single payer, maybe you'll enjoy this regurgitated literally-from-a-Republican version. We just don't have the votes. Please ignore the supermajority and the fact that we could have just ended the filibuster.

At what point does it finally get to be too much? At what point do you stop going "duh, just vote harder so they have more power" and look at the real and actual harm going on across the nation's red states.

Voting rights are being eroded, trans and queer people are having laws passed that basically outlaw them from existing. Actual people are having to flee Texas and Florida because of their anti-LGBTQ poo poo. The time for actually standing up and loving doing something was years ago and our elected representatives continue to do gently caress all. Meanwhile the Supreme Court, the grand third part of our government that people were so up in arms over ~the sanctity of the system~ when Roe v. Wade got overturned is now coming out to be even more corrupt than anyone imagined and the court itself is like "So what? What're you going to do about it? :smug:"

I don't know any more. I don't understand people can look at how hosed up the system is and conclude that, well, we just can't do anything because votes. :(

Like seriously, lest we all loving forget:

Remember Garland and Amy Coney?

Perpetual Lucy footballing. Oh no! I can't believe our literally evil counterparts, who at one point literally said their number-one priority above all else was loving over the president rather than actually try to govern, would pull an underhanded trick, and on top of that, one that literally everyone saw coming!

At what point do we collectively say "holy poo poo, pull your loving heads out of your asses and DO something" instead of continuing to make excuses.

What are you suggesting be done exactly?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 6, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fivemarks posted:

Voting doesn't matter when votes won't change thigns on the state and local level, where things are set up to ensure that no matter how many votes dems get, the republicans still win. Wherep eople are having voting rights stripped away and districts gerrymandered to gently caress.

Sure it will. Up until the Trump presidency there was a federal right to abortion in red states. Now there isn't. There are likely other rights that Republicans will seek to peel back if they get into the majority in congress/presidency that could continue to harm people that live in Red States. Voting also matters because it signals to politicians how strongly people feel about certain policy positions. The idea that voting doesn't matter is a bullshit copout. There are millions of people who are denied that right every single year as part of an intentional effort to stymie progress in this country. Republican strategists wouldn't continue to spend millions of dollars to continue that process if it wasn't effective and useful to them.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
So you're proposing what exactly? What is the better proposal other than buying more time at this juncture? Also just a note but Presidential elections are held every 4 years so there would presumably be a 4 year window for other organizing efforts to take place to try and address these issues.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Good loving lord, all of this is beyond belief

https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-w...talities-deaths

24-y/o college senior kills two folks while hammered, spends her time in custody relatively lucid (for her .26 BAC) laughing, singing, and worrying about going to class, getting her car back, graduating in 4 weeks, and isn't concerned after repeatedly being told she vehicular-homicided two people, because her friends are gonna take her to Vegas for her birthday.
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHaHwcAPaw&t=1089s

If somebody is .26 and they're not a regular alcoholic they're basically on another planet as far as processing cause and effect goes. Whoever posted this stuff is a genuine piece of poo poo.

Edit: Just to be clear: Just because someone can respond to questions doesn't mean their brain is actually working. The officer in that video states again and again that she's not getting it because she isn't. She's too drunk to drive, too drunk to consent to anything, and too drunk to contextualize why her responses to these questions are so callous and horrible.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 7, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Keep your wife away from your investments

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

It happened again!

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1655942369366384643?t=6xkDV-SzlPJQw0MuFzs6tA&s=19

Second favorite genre next to "letter demanding end to leaking leaks to media".

That case sounds pretty flimsy. Depending on the context of "My wife is trying to poison me" there could be a huge number of reasonable explanations. Ditto for how the Husband could have gotten and ingested fentanyl. The whole public has been told that poo poo is lethal to the touch and can be found in lethal quantities on dollar bills in circulation.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Imagine thinking like Elon Musk posts and not feeling immense, deeply seeded shame.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wow, of they can get Trump, they could get any of us. Makes you think.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Platinum coin, 14th amendment lawsuit, and federal reserve premium bonds are all floated as options for evading Congress on the debt ceiling, you're right. All are poo poo options.

Hey they could just default and wipe out the entire country's savings!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
On the other hand, letting him talk gets them money, so whose to day what's right?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is that really regressive? FAA sounds like it really wants to be a zero defect institution, and while anybody might accept the call of the void, somebody that has a history of mental health treatment would probably lead to all kinds of horrific investigations and framing by political interests.

Don't they cut people for eye problems and a host of other issues as well?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

The amount of stories that involve a suicide by plane backs that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_pilot

It looks like that averages out to be one every couple of years, which I would imagine is low for any kind of position in the United States. Wouldn't that suggest that their selection criteria are effective, or at the very least not damaging?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The press? You mean the social media intern who transcribes the Press release?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

The Media types really are the worst morons alive.

This boycott is great for our channel! Let me tell you why: I'm going to work for the trump campaign!

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 16, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The world's second richest man sucks!?!? What???

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

He was educated at an evangelical seminary.

So who knows until he starts actually doing things.

I'm not familiar with Evangelicalism outside the USA but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just uniquely terrible here.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sucks to be her but she's been a career politician all her life and this is the baggage that comes with that. Better keep that ticker pumping as long as there are federal judges to appoint.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

War Boi posted:

We can all look at this and collectively come to the conclusion that she should have retired a while ago.

But that’s also why none of us will ever be a Senator.

Those people are a separate loving breed of human. Statewide elected officials with an immense amount of power at the federal level.

The types of people who become Senators have a drive and a desire for power and status that is positively clinically insane.

We got some weird states, and a total of 100 senators. Folks like Sanders, Feterman, Cheney, they’re outliers. Good ones, at that. But I digress.

Actually Senators are just people, and being wheeled around by employees while you poo poo yourself at work isn't a particularly rare impulse for someone to have. Generally they're just told no , rather than being puppeteer about.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What leverage does China have other than not lending again? They have been way less invasive of other countries in the last few decades than the US and other western lenders. Like the US openly did a regime change in Panama for economic reasons, is there a recent equivalent from China?

Not yet, but I would imagine that's the next step in their process for demonstrating that they're a world superpower contender! They aspire to do the things we disparage the USA for, so strap in.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

It loving kills me that those degenerates have such an outsized influence and power over the course of our country. Jesus Christ.

It's uh, not just our country.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Also, have a hearty lol at a lawyer that decided to use ChatGPT for his legal research, cited the cases ChatGPT found, then got dumpstered when the court went "uh, those don't exist". His main defense is essentially WELL I ASKED CHATGPT IF THOSE CASES WERE FAKE AND IT SAID NO

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1662272915948072963

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368/gov.uscourts.nysd.575368.32.1.pdf

edit: actually it's deeper than that

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1662279440921944064

lol this is so loving sweet.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Midjack posted:

You can buy off a state judge for a few thousand bucks and the people who own racetracks are generally loaded. They'll take the chevy owner to the cleaners.

I can't imagine telling all your fans to gently caress off from attending your events in person would really be the business move a racetrack owner would engage in. I'd bet the car owner is gonna be made whole without much of a fuss.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Jesus christ Iowa loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Getting busted for desecration of war graves because you anchored without permission sounds the illegitimate salvage equivalent of getting busted with a kilo of uncut in the trunk because you didn't bother fixing a broken tail light.

Something that only happens to people who look different than the authorities?