Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I wasn't even really on the hype train for this, liked BOTW quite a bit but it's not my favorite game of all time or anything, but man this game is blowing me away. The contraption idea is so brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

getting a map from a tower, i never thought it would beat botw. but daaamn, gorgeous
I got one piece of skydive mobility+ gear and whoo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Notably there is a way around it now. Fusing and unfusing a weapon reset's the base weapon's durability (though unfusing destroys whatever you fused onto it). So you can absolutely carry around a favorite weapon forever now and just have to top it up with a new fuse once in a while.

I don't think this is right, unless I'm doing something wrong-- I unfused a weapon that was blinking red durability and it still was afterwards

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I hopped around some sky islands and ended up dropping wayyyyy the gently caress out in the desert. Found a map tower but it seems like it's deactivated or the electricity is fizzling or something and I can't use it? I refuse to teleport back to central hyrule until I can find a shrine or loving something so I can fast travel back here but everything does my entire 4-heart lifebar's worth of damage in one hit and I'm constantly dying of heat exposure when I step out of the shade lol. This is awesome, feels like Elden Ring or something

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's so beautiful

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Found a map tower but it seems like it's deactivated or the electricity is fizzling or something and I can't use it?

all of them I've found so far have someone loving around nearby that can repair it, usually stuck in a pit or up a tree or tripped over their own shoelaces

dunno if there's a hard "do the first plot one" requirement but I assume so

i'm half tempted to go back to gently caress around sans paraglider just to see how much the game lets me do that but "not having the paraglider" would be a tough nut to swallow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If it's the tower covering the gerudo desert, there is a guy who you need to help at the bottom of an elevator directly in front of the tower

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blaziken386 posted:

i want there to be precisely one (1) save data bonus and i want it to be the stables having your horses from botw

:hellyeah:
frankly I still cannot believe this post was prophetic. it's the least impactful thing but i love it all the same. cannot wait to once again ride El Gordo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wonder if the old best horses will still be so with the new horse carriage stuff. Haven't used it yet but did stick it on of my horses just in case.

I've been trying to get to Tarry Town all night lol.

edit: lol i disabled V Sync and my FPS doubled instantly. it actually feels maybe like fast motion now

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 3, 2023

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is it just me or the fans are really finicky? I have no idea what the game wants me to do here. If I put the fan below the thing, it doesn't work, attached or not, but I need the second fan to float over a wall. Sometimes if I remove a fan and position it just so it works but the second I move the other fan it all falls apart.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just met up with a monster hunting crew right as they were about to attack a monster camp and we fought beside each other and took that poo poo down. This loving owns lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lunar detritus posted:

Is it just me or the fans are really finicky? I have no idea what the game wants me to do here. If I put the fan below the thing, it doesn't work, attached or not, but I need the second fan to float over a wall. Sometimes if I remove a fan and position it just so it works but the second I move the other fan it all falls apart.

I just stuck 2 side by side on the bottom blowing down and it took me up

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

queeb posted:

I just stuck 2 side by side on the bottom blowing down and it took me up

that worked :doh:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Is the underworld the same size as the main map? This is wild.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think my biggest criticism thus far is they should have made the steering wheel the first capsule machine you find, I keep walking by stuff full of "vehicle parts" that I've got no interest in because I can't really do poo poo with them yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

Is the underworld the same size as the main map? This is wild.

technically yes actually no, I think, but I don't know how much of the underground area "isn't there" compared to the overworld and probably won't until someone datamines a map lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy moly wowow I just cruising on my little fan powered plane w wheels right, then I see a freaking king Ghidorah in the distance and try to fight it and obviously die immediately since I'm still on 4 hearts lol. Busting out them original Zelda enemies huh

The runway airport building shrine inside the robotnik death egg is best shrine so far. This game is pikoteings and nuts n bolts and Zelda and skyward sword and Mario sunshine all at once it owns so hard. This is the perfect Zelda sequel

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sticking rockets on anything is so fun

Yess the Jenga shrine, great one.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 3, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How many horse can you have and can one of the horses be a bear this time? Like, a bear you can keep forever at the stables.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Played through the whole tutorial island/s bit and made it down to the ground and built a terrible car. Unless some significant improvements come out that make it play better on either my devices (Steam Deck and M1 MacBook Air) come out, I think I’m done until release - 15fps average and crashes ain’t it. But HOLY loving poo poo this is a masterpiece and has the potential to be a BotW-beater easily, I love the fusing and building so much. The in-game reason for building materials lying around everywhere is so good lol. Really superb stuff so far.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

How "direct sequel"-y is it? I never did get around to finishing Breath of the Wild (my gaming attention span is not enormous), am I going to be lost jumping in or is it pretty standalone?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How many horse can you have and can one of the horses be a bear this time? Like, a bear you can keep forever at the stables.

Dunno yet, you unlock new stable slots through Pony Points. Using stables and visiting new ones. Registering horses, etc.

I love that the world is building on stuff you discovered. The great fairies are like an attraction, talking to God is promotional tool for a business, people out here in the same world you were. Sometimes games just kind of pretend that stuff is just for the player or whatever. Not here!

Even the music and sound design matches this rebuilding world hit by a new crisis.

And lol at the worries about using the old map. Fantastic choice. It's like they went everywhere and got to just carve away and sculpt new areas from the old and build on the stories there.

You know what would be really sick. A mod or DLC to let you explore either game world using the tools and inventory of the other. Know it'll never happen but would be cool.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Escobarbarian posted:

Played through the whole tutorial island/s bit and made it down to the ground and built a terrible car. Unless some significant improvements come out that make it play better on either my devices (Steam Deck and M1 MacBook Air) come out, I think I’m done until release - 15fps average and crashes ain’t it. But HOLY loving poo poo this is a masterpiece and has the potential to be a BotW-beater easily, I love the fusing and building so much. The in-game reason for building materials lying around everywhere is so good lol. Really superb stuff so far.

You havent even seen the the dark souls poo poo yet

Im not even joking, and yes i mean difficulty too lmao

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The fusing sometimes annoys me. They tried their best with how versatile they wanted to make the building element of the game, but there is some jank for sure. Aside from that, no complaints yet.

Edit: has anyone found a seed trade in yet? I've got a couple dozen of the things

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 3, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

If it's the tower covering the gerudo desert, there is a guy who you need to help at the bottom of an elevator directly in front of the tower

Thanks! I have wandered so far away from it I have no idea where to find it again lol. Oh wel

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mode 7 posted:

How "direct sequel"-y is it? I never did get around to finishing Breath of the Wild (my gaming attention span is not enormous), am I going to be lost jumping in or is it pretty standalone?

The plot of BotW is: you fought Ganon, freed Zelda, and then you and Zelda sealed Ganon away again. Like every Zelda game with Ganon in it. I don't think there is such a thing as a first-party Nintendo game whose story you'd be too "lost" to understand. I get worrying about this kind of thing with a lot of games, but Zelda?

To directly answer your question, though: it is a direct follow-up to BotW in every way, including story. Same Zelda, same Link, same Hyrule. A handful of years have passed in between the games IIRC.

You won't struggle to understand anything, I promise.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
You wont understand who ganonligondese is tho

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Has anyone just bulldozes through the game and leaked the full plot? Little spoiler whore over here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Has anyone just bulldozes through the game and leaked the full plot? Little spoiler whore over here.

You win at the end

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

The Dave posted:

All the webm cutscenes without audio are already uploaded including bits of the ending that require it being fmv/webm lol. We know a lot. But none of the people playing and streaming have beat the game let alone found where the last boss is, its not as clear cut as it was in botw

But going by cutscenes and stuff we know already there is lot of insane poo poo we know, but a lot of guess work connecting things, still tons of wtf does that mean type of stuff and stitching things together. Game is loving huge, 3 times the size of botw

Honestly, go in with as little spoilers you know even if you say you dont care about it, there are 3 huge things ive seen from mid game onwards that i wish i hadnt but oh well, goty.

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 3, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mr. Baps posted:

I don't think there is such a thing as a first-party Nintendo game whose story you'd be too "lost" to understand. I get worrying about this kind of thing with a lot of games, but Zelda?

Look, yeah, I know, my brain is just a pain in the loving rear end sometimes and I need someone to confirm it explicitly otherwise I'll pressure myself to finish BotW first, burn out and then play neither.
Thank you for sparing me :respek:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mode 7 posted:

It's unironically funny that link's such a socially awkward silent loner that he literally saved the kingdom and even people who you directly interacted with in botw don't always remember you

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Can't tell if this is fake or not lol.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Artadius posted:

Its real, ive had it open in a tab for the past few days lol. Was saving it to meme someone lmao

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The underground has some wild poo poo in it. I almost wish there wasn't fast travel down there. Its a real sense of going on an expedition. I ran out of lightbulbs on my last delve, found a hot air balloon, floated up, and desperately threw myself off to try and glide to the next light root. Ended up finding a labyrinth I couldn't figure out how to access and died. Very good.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

funkymonks posted:

The underground has some wild poo poo in it. I almost wish there wasn't fast travel down there. Its a real sense of going on an expedition. I ran out of lightbulbs on my last delve, found a hot air balloon, floated up, and desperately threw myself off to try and glide to the next light root. Ended up finding a labyrinth I couldn't figure out how to access and died. Very good.

Is it as hard as im hearing? Like enemies taking 10 hearts off you in one hit and other "hard mode" type of area stuff compared to the surface?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Artadius posted:

no ring

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Has the soundtrack been datamined yet? I've played an hour and I think I've had my fill until the official release, but after what I've heard thus far the one thing I am absolutely okay being spoiled on is the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like there is a lot more stuff that you stumble across in this game compared to the previous one. Like over every hill it seems there is a new cave to explore or camp or whatever. Unless I'm completely forgetting how the first game was. The world feels a lot more alive which is awesome.