Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol just spent a few minutes on this puzzle that turned out not be one at all. You just swim and climb to the chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you save manually? Crashing every now and then, maybe when trying to load too many new shaders at once, idk. Downloading a shader cache for Arceus was helpful but takes time for someone to see enough of the game and effects to build.

I reached an area that seems to be a bonus dead end I go back on but I think I'm gonna just make a hosed up ramp with everything around here.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do the gliders always have a limited lifespan or just on tutorial island? I was trying to surf to the temple of time but it won't dive fast enough and if I try to make a loop it times out and I fall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

The fusing is super cool even just doing basic poo poo & I'm sure there will be a bunch of surprises with it. I love how some enemies can do it too, that's a really clever way to tutorialize some of the possibilities. Only thing I don't like is needing to pop the menu open to fuse each individual arrow; it's pretty quick but still feels like I should be able to hit a button to toggle "use last fuse combo" if I have 50 keese wings in my inventory or whatever.

I also dislike that they put every single item you have in that lists and that you have to hold the button down to select. Cooking food still feels awkward having to go into menu and dump crap in your hands and then plop that into cooking pot and then go through the cook animations.

Other than that no complaints. I thought the intro area was great, got through it faster than great plateu in BotW. Definitely need to return as there's plenty I saw but didn't nab.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Protip, don't activate Zonai fans on your log raft using an axe. You will just chop and destroy the boat in one swing lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can definitely take selfies but I never did in the original to know if the poses are new or not. You get camera early on, assuming you progress short main quest after tutorial, which you'd best do since you know you want that alladin gliding rag. I assume there are new poses because they added a new character who has a signature pose and they have to give that to link sooner or later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I glued a Korok to a wheel and piece of wood and chucked him in the river and all I got was 2 Korok turds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

One thing I was unsure on was how to save the Korok dudes on the starting island. Really no clue what to do on those.

Like the ones who are separated? I remember making a little hanging gook coaster thing and flying em to it and sliding em to their buddy. So far most of the separated from buddy koroks I've found were near construction materials hinting towards some way to get them to and fro.

There was maybe another one where I used the fan to make a vehicle to get it to wherever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah you just glue the Korok with the big backpack to stuff like anything else. Then you can shake em off and drag over once you get across.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you had a BotW save on ryujin or whatever would you be able to get epona and whatnot from it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Zelda wouldn't need to buy a drat house if she took better care of the castle

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wonder if the old best horses will still be so with the new horse carriage stuff. Haven't used it yet but did stick it on of my horses just in case.

I've been trying to get to Tarry Town all night lol.

edit: lol i disabled V Sync and my FPS doubled instantly. it actually feels maybe like fast motion now

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy moly wowow I just cruising on my little fan powered plane w wheels right, then I see a freaking king Ghidorah in the distance and try to fight it and obviously die immediately since I'm still on 4 hearts lol. Busting out them original Zelda enemies huh

The runway airport building shrine inside the robotnik death egg is best shrine so far. This game is pikoteings and nuts n bolts and Zelda and skyward sword and Mario sunshine all at once it owns so hard. This is the perfect Zelda sequel

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sticking rockets on anything is so fun

Yess the Jenga shrine, great one.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 3, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How many horse can you have and can one of the horses be a bear this time? Like, a bear you can keep forever at the stables.

Dunno yet, you unlock new stable slots through Pony Points. Using stables and visiting new ones. Registering horses, etc.

I love that the world is building on stuff you discovered. The great fairies are like an attraction, talking to God is promotional tool for a business, people out here in the same world you were. Sometimes games just kind of pretend that stuff is just for the player or whatever. Not here!

Even the music and sound design matches this rebuilding world hit by a new crisis.

And lol at the worries about using the old map. Fantastic choice. It's like they went everywhere and got to just carve away and sculpt new areas from the old and build on the stories there.

You know what would be really sick. A mod or DLC to let you explore either game world using the tools and inventory of the other. Know it'll never happen but would be cool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah game owns. gently caress those red hands tho

Idk what they even do besides drop 2 anti-darkness foods. Every time they've showed up, I was like climbing or something and think there's a sudden midday blood moon and then I look back and there's some hands disappearing and leaving the items.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the last game had 80% of people in the thread sharing weird things they'd found and commenting on how goddamn much of it felt like "sharing game hearsay at recess pre-internet", myself included, and I seem to recall that was part of the intent of the game being set up the way it was in the first place

much like then, not even having the option of looking things up goes a long way towards that vibe instead of knowing ahead of time "yeah I know where the good stuff is so everything else is automatically known ahead of time to be bad stuff"

i really love this period. you get it for a few days sometimes with new games at official launches, days before the wikis and crawlers can generate SEO pages for every game question. but here, like, if you really do want to look something up you mostly find nothing but vague stuff from like the most goofball people with no clue what's going on. Which is good, you just stop looking up answer and figure it out or move on. I've ran into several things where I'm like hmmm.... I'll have to come back to you, not sure what your deal is yet. exciting!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohh I hadn't gone back to great plateau. I finally got to tarrey town and it was magical. The map reuse adds to the game for sure. I kinda want to fire up BotW on my switch and just compare and contrast locations. I'm sure there will be a bajillion YouTube's of that soon enough though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i keep meaning to go push the mainline plot because the poop rattler's probably standing on the side of the road leading into one of the main areas again but I keep getting distracted

i tried going to the lost woods directly but apparently there's a giant ineffable "gently caress off, no solicitors" there for presumably-plot-reasons

Haha I'm in the same boat. I'll do the main quests right away... Just as soon as I finish pursuing 15 other arbitrary impulsive goals.

Not looking for an answer but my guess for entering lost woods cloud is going underground nearby. I spent the least time underground so far just bc emulator makes it harder than intended with inviso floor. It's still kinda fun in its own hosed up way, probably simulating darkness void better than the real graphics... But anything vertical or needing a jump or fine movement is a hassle with inviso floors. The grass particles help but game has very short range on those.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

No, it's still piss poor. You can't even remap the controls.

Oh man kept meaning to check because first thing I had to do was switch a couple buttons around. I thought I was maybe going to play on Switch too at release... But remuscling controls is a no go at this point. Already translating the swapped Nintendo symbol promos and images into PS5 buttons into memory, can't bother undoing that. Hopefully they fix the floor and rock texture, otherwise it's good enough to not want to wanna redo and readjust to awkward of controls.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

so by the sounds of it exploring the underground is worth it early on?

Not sure what you mean "worth it." Everything seems worth exploring if you're having a good time. Just doing surface shrines since leaving the sky tutorial, like, I'm always stocked with more weapons than I can use and all decent ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Any weapon that can chop a tree should hurt it sufficiently, but an axe type weapon definitely does the job and keeps it stunlocled so outside of the initial startle it's just a tree with more loot than usual (assuming you grab the lizards and bugs before they scamper away)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

Someone made a quick patch and posted it on reddit that allows you to launch the game on Yuzu and the underground textures actually work there (but enough other stuff is broken/unstable that it's not worth switching from Ryujinx) -- very confident they'll have fixes in shortly after the game launches for real. I will probably switch to Switch at that point though

That's cool, I think saves carry over or can be converted from either. Yuzi seems better in general but seems like Ryujin gets stuff working earlier.
.I might should also look for a bigger shader cache from someone's who had more time to play, but the shader loading stutters haven't been an issue. It's just certain areas with lots going on that dip down to 20. Disabling Vysync actually overcomes that, but at a less consistent frame rate overall, but above 30 so whatever. In combat the speedup can make things harder than they should be so I reemable Vysync when I want the normal speed back.

I'm playing the game weeks early on my preferred hardware and controller so I am more than satisfied with current performance and occasional crashes so far every crash came right after an auto save pretty much and honestly always when I needed to get up and stretch my legs or do a chore or whatever anyway lol. An aggressive Wii style "take frequent breaks" reminder.

I also keep having dreams about the game since Ive been playing before bed but the dreams are not cool, just shuffling items to cook and like foggily running over hills to grab things to cook again in that fruitless hazy dream way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woof, RyujinX updated and runs noticing worse suddenly. Same area last night was fine, 30fps, now down to like 15 and stuttering in consistent pattern. Nvm restarting RyujinX a couple times helped idkm

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh my Goron I just got a biggies sword from a chest after defeating a dark souls giant skeleton in the spooky dark

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No but only because I keep running out of rockets to attach to things. Why rocket isn't in the power wheel where the fake-out camera or maps slots are, I'll never know.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool I don't know if it's revolutionary or not but it's the most fun I've had with a videogame this year and I've played some really fun games this year.

There's always a solid way to reduce a game down to something mundane and routine if you really want to. It's a reliable way to not care about playing something you haven't or to diminish enjoyment of something you are.

Most open world games I've played don't let you glue yourself together a fan powered gliding log rocket while going around the map looking for the activities developers planted, I'm pretty bored of the formula outside of the standouts and throwing the Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts poo poo in is really working for me and I've barely messed with it. Your mileage may vary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Invisible walls in the depths really screwing up my plans to rocket glide directly to dragons in the distance.

Edit: oh okay these floating blocks when activated stay wherever places midair. I think this little underground area is trying to tell me to build a floating runway for a glider.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 4, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

It's weird that you can't "hold" stuff from the d-pad quick menu.

It's also awkward starting to throw your nice weapon when u want to lob a grenade

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So the Zonai devices that look like a little jar are actually bombs that will kill you if you stand near when they pop off. They are also not good hot air balloon fuel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

How do you use the big glider things? The way I did it was attaching 3 fans and hitting them but it doesn't seem right, i ran out of fans quick

The ideal is glider attached to wheely cart, with fans, and a rocket for launch, with steering wheel in center. You can reliably glide and even recharge around indefinitely.... Until the glider decides to time out and disappear. If you had an infinite glider cheat, I think a fan and steering wheel alone could keep you airborne forever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

Does anyone find the new plateau area too drat big in this? It's a giant ring too so god forbid you forgot something you needed to explore on the other side, getting back there sucks.

I felt like it flowed really well. Popped out, and then pursuing the shrines with a few minor detours of stuff along the way got me through the whole deal pretty quickly without much issue. I was much more eager to reach the ground this time rather than gently caress around for hours and hours on tutorial zone like I did in BotW.

I gather that for folks who want to immediately start exploring and crawling over everything it'll be a different experience than they expected from the original. I'm excited to go back up with new toys to catch all I missed. You get more toys after the tutorial island, even though you get your moan magic abilities right off the bat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

They don't really need any extra tools to just do their job of gliding, just height. If you're having trouble getting them off the ground, use your grabby hand, move the item over the open air and then back, then use recall on it. Grabbing something, moving it, then recalling it is key to doing a lot of puzzles the wrong way and it's a lot of fun.

Oh my god, I hadn't tried this paper airplane approach. I did use it to hold the plane still on a ramp so it could jet off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wells are the new Grottos. I love collecting one slimy newt per well, because I can never remember to have enough couth to not scare em all off.

And man I get a lot of Dark Souls and Elden Ring vibes. Some recursive influence there, but so far I've had several FromSoft moments where I feel like more of the team definitely has played.

One was dropping into some dark gap into some place called like Altar of Bone, pitch black, except for skeletons I must fight in an arena. I have invisible floor issue so maybe in the intended experience it's not quite so dark? Not necessary for the fight really but I was worried about drops, weren't any though.

Another I was just gliding around and dove to catch what I thought was a lil Korok puzzle and suddenly I'm in the dark root depths or whatever descending a root system with enemies to harass me and treasures to entice.

My health is so low if I'm sloppy in combat I can easily die too lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Frogger shrine cool. Hope they do more with that than a weird treasure bonus.

Just did a shrine in the air after piloting some floating blocks. In the end used two floating blocks to just make myself a staircase under this island and supported into it and got the crystal gem I needed.

It's a shame you can't glue horse to glider and do a kind of drop where you and the horse dive bomb off. I swear games never let horses do anything but run and jump. Never divebomb.

Sky gliding across the map rules, sorry 15 shrines I skipped over, I'm too busy cruising.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah game owns, depths as a do your own thing and explore area owns, lego stuff together owns, also the game is loving massive so prepare to sink 100+ hours in a playthrough easily

edit: im at like 20 hours and havent touched the first dungeon yet

Lol same boat, playing every night since it came out and still haven't been to a dungeon or revisited the champion towns. Keeps being something else new in the way.

Also don't waste time trying to paper airplane your glider from flat ground, you definitely want some height to kick off the flight

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

Can't you just lift it up with ultrahand/recall for instant flat ground gliding?

I'm becoming an ultrahand/recall evangelist it's literally the coolest most emergent gameplay I've ever discovered in a game ever. Every puzzle can be done Your Way

That's what I'm saying isn't worth the time. You need some height and momentum and the recall doesn't let you lift high enough or get enough momentum for clean takeoffs. The trick works best if you have a little fall you can start off the glide with, otherwise a lot of slightly coasting above ground and then landing. I only tried for like 15 minutes before I just walked my Korok buddy over with ultrahand, but I could not get a takeoff with just glider hand/recall.

Using fans and stuff I'm sure it could get going better, but I was just trying plain paper airplane style trying to launch as high as hand would let me with as much push as it lets you get. Still, it was fun trying and remembering to like, do the flight takeoff in reverse so you can rewind and get the air.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sky Island was fun y'all must be playing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think y'all really stretching to make it sound worse. Takes like an hour to get through and pretty smooth. Idk are y'all falling off a bunch of something