Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Countblanc posted:

how do you use the Wing devices? i tried attaching a fan to one but it didnt budge.

In the very first place you find them, put them on the rails so they slide and stand on them as they sail off the edge

After you get the next power and can rewind, just dropping them off a cliff works well enough after holding it in place for a bit, so you can rewind it long enough to jump on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
this game has, as an intended mechanic, the fling contraption from PJ's Nuts and Bolts challenges via a "stabilization machine" that rolls itself upright when activated

Costco Meatballs posted:

this game owns

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Notably there is a way around it now. Fusing and unfusing a weapon reset's the base weapon's durability (though unfusing destroys whatever you fused onto it). So you can absolutely carry around a favorite weapon forever now and just have to top it up with a new fuse once in a while.

I don't think this is right, unless I'm doing something wrong-- I unfused a weapon that was blinking red durability and it still was afterwards

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Found a map tower but it seems like it's deactivated or the electricity is fizzling or something and I can't use it?

all of them I've found so far have someone loving around nearby that can repair it, usually stuck in a pit or up a tree or tripped over their own shoelaces

dunno if there's a hard "do the first plot one" requirement but I assume so

i'm half tempted to go back to gently caress around sans paraglider just to see how much the game lets me do that but "not having the paraglider" would be a tough nut to swallow

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think my biggest criticism thus far is they should have made the steering wheel the first capsule machine you find, I keep walking by stuff full of "vehicle parts" that I've got no interest in because I can't really do poo poo with them yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

Is the underworld the same size as the main map? This is wild.

technically yes actually no, I think, but I don't know how much of the underground area "isn't there" compared to the overworld and probably won't until someone datamines a map lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mode 7 posted:

How "direct sequel"-y is it? I never did get around to finishing Breath of the Wild (my gaming attention span is not enormous), am I going to be lost jumping in or is it pretty standalone?

It's unironically funny that link's such a socially awkward silent loner that he literally saved the kingdom and even people who you directly interacted with in botw don't always remember you

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

It feels like there is a lot more stuff that you stumble across in this game compared to the previous one. Like over every hill it seems there is a new cave to explore or camp or whatever. Unless I'm completely forgetting how the first game was. The world feels a lot more alive which is awesome.

the last game had 80% of people in the thread sharing weird things they'd found and commenting on how goddamn much of it felt like "sharing game hearsay at recess pre-internet", myself included, and I seem to recall that was part of the intent of the game being set up the way it was in the first place

much like then, not even having the option of looking things up goes a long way towards that vibe instead of knowing ahead of time "yeah I know where the good stuff is so everything else is automatically known ahead of time to be bad stuff"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

i really love this period. you get it for a few days sometimes with new games at official launches, days before the wikis and crawlers can generate SEO pages for every game question. but here, like, if you really do want to look something up you mostly find nothing but vague stuff from like the most goofball people with no clue what's going on. Which is good, you just stop looking up answer and figure it out or move on. I've ran into several things where I'm like hmmm.... I'll have to come back to you, not sure what your deal is yet. exciting!

the real hilarity is the reuse of locations and items is going to poison the SEO well in both directions lol

I honestly love it though, I know there are some people complaining that having the same world/locations is "lazy" but it just feels like playing pokemon gold/silver but having access to kanto first thing, being able to go back to places you explicitly remember from the last games and finding how old NPCs are doing since last time/what's changed or finding references to things that were there in the last game (or in some cases, things that will effectively only screw with players of the previous game based on their prior expectations of what was there last time)

i felt moderately seen loving around the great plateau and finding both a "nostalgia fabric" paraglider reskin where the botw paraglider was and a "haha get hosed idiot" trap in the old shrine of resurrection and that's probably just scratching the surface in that area alone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BabyRyoga posted:

seriously, i've played like 20 hours+ and I still can't find where to trade in my seeds. Where the hell

i keep meaning to go push the mainline plot because the poop rattler's probably standing on the side of the road leading into one of the main areas again but I keep getting distracted

i tried going to the lost woods directly but apparently there's a giant ineffable "gently caress off, no solicitors" there for presumably-plot-reasons

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

queeb posted:

so by the sounds of it exploring the underground is worth it early on?

kind of hard to say "hard yes" on that (depending on your definition of "early"), the amount of pitch black and high vertical spaces makes it feel like one of those things where on your second playthrough you might be able to beeline for "the good stuff" but if you want to explore it and not be miserable doing so you're going to want some decent equipment/supplies before really going whole hog on it, it's not like botw's castle where you can just bumble blindly around a small area, dodge a few enemies and come out absolutely stacked

i found one of the semi-nostalgia-things underground specifically Midna's helmet and it took A Lot Of Facegrinding to get it at 4 hearts and poo poo armor when it involved what-I-assume-is-unscaled fight waves with black/white bokoblins, and I only pulled it off because the last wave had one that happened to be using bomb arrows and did a fair amount of legwork nearly TKing themselves for me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

Sigh. I knew it would be something easy. Still trying to wrap my brain around how things work.

it's honestly great because it's so incredibly not video-gamey that you almost have to re-learn it

"giant ice cubes? I bet I'll need to get some special thing to melt tho-- no, just put wood next to it and set it on fire, right, right"

"giant tree monster? why is my spear doing noth-- right, fire arrows and an axe, right"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lunar detritus posted:

I thought blood moons were caused by the calamity but I guess they are just part of hyrule

I can't tell if it's "they stuck around" or "they came back when ganon came back, again"

it's kind of weird that anyone bothers asking you to kill monsters, in hindsight, if they're used to them coming back every week for the last hundred years

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Drashin posted:

For some Quality of Life features that I found I reccomend following Robbie's and Jura's quest line once you finish the tutorial not only does it helpful things like The Shrine sensor, camera and Hero's Path feature It also leads you to something that I am greatful I found the autobuild ability

I'm getting the impression that "go where people recommend at least initially" may be a good idea because MOTHER FUCKIN STICKY FROG SUIT

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

Everything I've watched for this game has made it look like a bog standard open world survival-lite game with performance issues.

if you don't like botw you won't like this guaranteed

also

some of these shrines as "tutorials" are wild as hell, I was sleeping on rockets until a shrine was like "hey have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet"

incidentally

have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

BotW was fine when I played it. I didn't think it was the 10/10 everyone was tripping over themselves to pronounce.

A lot of stuff I've seen in gameplay footage and from people playing early looks like stuff I've seen in other open world survival made and released since botw. None of it appears "revolutionary".

I don't think it's "revolutionary", I do think it's risky and I'm kind of glad to see that even if I'm not 100% sure I'm a fan of it yet. It takes pretty massive balls to take your pretty popular game series and say, at the same time,

"Hey, remember that Nuts and Bolts game that came out and just flopped because nobody wanted that out of an established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it? Let's do that with our established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it!" and
"Hey, remember that durability system that people complained about? Let's double down on it and in-lore pre-break all the weapons to force people to interact with the durability even more"

so they did that and sacrificed performance for it-- this is the first time in this series I'm seeing those "freeze you to load the world" pauses when not doing stupid speedrunning tricks, and I'm sure the early-BotW-before-fixes "something hosed up, immediate blood moon" stuff is going to be making a reappearance sooner or later.

I am, at least, having fun with it, but when all is said and done I don't think I'll be looking at other games and saying "I wish this game did X mechanic like BotW did" this time around because I'm pretty sure I'll be sated on awkward controller-based doohickey building for better or for worse

I'm also pretty sure that we're going to get an absolute glut of nuts and bolts knockoffs because this poo poo's still going to sell like the hottest of hotcakes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cumpantry posted:

i just dont get it.

if the reddit slapfights were good for botw and the open world vs. dungeon fans, this game is going to be gloriously divisive, just absolute love or hate with no in between, I can't wait

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

The great island almost feels like a throwback to a more old school zelda philosophy where you are systematically tutorialized to death with a sequence of 50 children's puzzles. There is a little bit of choice and flexibility in it but you really have to go out of your way to not just take the intended solutions I feel like.

I'm like meh leaning slightly positive on botw overall but I do appreciate the virtues of the plateau especially a lot more now

it's a weird sort of "have your cake and eat it too" thing, I 100% went off the intended path during the tutorial between shrine #2 and #3...and then thought better of it, backtracked and took the intended route with the thought "the way this is going I'm going to regret skipping the signposted route" and sure as gently caress, I would have just completely skipped past the zoastite forge and never been the wiser

the great plateau worked as a tutorial because to my recollection, there wasn't a ton it needed to actually teach you, outside of rune shrines that were by definition their tutorials-- and the few absolutely "you will get hosed up" items like informing the player that temperature exists are handled in the HUD, not as in-world information that's taught to you by the old man. everything else is effectively optional information to anyone familiar with survival games (like the concepts of "shooting things" and "wearing armor"), and the plateau is just a sandbox to show the player the nature of the various physics interactions underpinning the game

this game is necessarily more complicated but seems to have said "well people are expecting a great plateau so we have to have something that sort of works the same way" even if the reason/context the GP worked in the first place isn't fully present this time around

to also be fair to the developers, doing as direct a sequel as this is will always be a Pain In The rear end because you can't just say "here's how we tutorialize new players", you have to figure out a way to get all of the mechanics tutorialized to actually-new players while simultanously figuring out how to account for "new to this specific game" players who spent 500+ hours in BotW and don't need to be taught how to cut down a tree or cook an apple

i suppose a branching path with a sign that says "if you played BotW go this way for an abbreviated tutorial of the new stuff" would be a bit too 4th wall breaky

Khanstant posted:

I think y'all really stretching to make it sound worse. Takes like an hour to get through and pretty smooth. Idk are y'all falling off a bunch of something

I'm mostly just thinking out loud about it while it's fresh, you only play a game for the first time once and I sure as poo poo won't remember my first-impression feelings about the tutorial area a couple hundred hours later

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

I wish I'd timed it, but I feel like it took me probably like 2-3 hours. I'm sure 1 is possible if you're just stomping the baby puzzles mercilessly, not talking to the npcs, not lightly looking around for koroks and experimenting, blah blah blah, but I doubt that'll be the normal time it takes people

that's the weird frission, too, because I started doing the gently caress-around-explore thing but then remembered that The Lesson of BotW is "loving around is more fun when you have the proper game mechanics available" and since I intentionally went in to TotK completely blind, I had no idea what "the tools" were this time around (and, to some extent, still don't, but). spending an hour on the GP trying to body a metal box into a spot where you can jump on it before you know that "the magnesis rune exists" may be something you look back on bemusedly, but that doesn't mean you want to do that on every subsequent playthrough and I'd almost count a sequel this direct as "a subsequent playthrough" given the huge number of overlapping mechanics

which I guess is also sort of this game writ large, because every time I'm doing something that seems "not quite intended" part of me is wondering "is there some other vehicle piece I'm going to get later that'll make this significantly easier, should I just bail on this now and wait to see if there's some developer-intended way to do this", which feels bad in a sequel to a game that felt like it just handed you all the tools in the tutorial and then kicked you out and said "figure it out, the only wrong solution is the one that doesn't solve the problem"

An Actual Princess posted:

Also gently caress the tree mimics. Scared the poo poo out of me

i love them so much, best new character in this game hands down

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Unrelated to any of the above, is there any trick/mechanic/whatever to making my airships not disappear randomly? flying a balloon/glider and having it blink green and pop like a soap bubble is already getting old as hell

Shabadu posted:

Battle Talus makes me grin from ear to ear.

The new old enemy that fucks me up the most are the goddamn Floormaster swarms, surrounded in gloom. I've been marking my map with where I've seen them so I avoid those spots, since they seem to be somewhat set spawns.

Have you actually fought them yet? I've encounted them three times, twice they seemed to bug out/get caught something where they dropped loot without me actually killing them, but the one time I did hang around to kill them loving Phantom Ganon spawned out of goddamn nowhere and I don't know if that's all of them or something unique to "the one location I was in"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

edit: And the dropping from hot swap is also kind of necessary for the Fuse ability (since as far as I can tell there's no way to fuse directly from the menu and you have to drop the item on the ground first).

dropping from the hotmenu is also invaluable for dropping a glowseed while you're falling down a pitch black hole so you can actually see the ground and not pancake at the other end in some of the darker chasms

Barreft posted:

e: that said I'm dumb as hell and a lot of these goatse shrines puzzles are tough

i'm not going to admit how long i spent on one of the red laser puzzles before realizing they don't kill/damage you if you touch them

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
wellllp

found the master sword

at what cost jesus christ zelda :negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

Question - is there a good way to turn objects around exactly how you want without having to keep dropping them and picking them up again? A lot of the times I can't get an object into the right position with just the rotations available and only do it through trial and error after dropping it and picking it up again a bunch. I noticed that hitting two directions at once (like up/left or down/right) makes it turn differently, but in way that I couldn't figure out. This is fortunately mainly just an issue in the shrines, where puzzles might be involved - it's less of an issue when building stuff, where you don't generally need to turn things in weird ways.

You have access to all rotations without dropping and picking up. You can rotate it on the X and Z and every button press rotates it 45 degrees in that direction, so if you hit right twice your Z axis is what used to be the Y axis before you rotated it.

You generally don't need to have things at 45 degrees in most situations so if you just only ever hit one direction at a time and move it in two-press increments it's easier to grasp what's going on (and use ZL to get things "flat" if you accidentally get something rotated on a 45 degree increment)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

miyamoto was picturing this the 1980s and only now has the technology evolved to a point where it could be made reality

i really hope when the inevitable lawsuit against the leaker happens this is exhibit a

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Damnit, just ran a huge distance to chase down this fallen star stuck in a cliff on a mountain. Wasted my last good stamina foods and poo poo rushing over and up there ... And when I was close enough to grab it, it suddenly, like, spawned in properly with physics and lost tho big glow and started tumbling down the mountain. It bounced as I chased it and then broke or despawned. I ran past some weird poo poo too and now I can't remember which way I was.

I'm glad there are scarier enemies than Lynels this time. I haven't been able to fight any of the new throwback enemies.

Tired: chasing down fallen stars
Wired: Having them spawn when you're falling and skydiving to catch them, which you can also do with dragon parts now

Also for anyone who hates how slow you manuver in air, there's +skydiving clothing and all of them are obvious once you get the first one since they're all rewarded by "skydiving courses" that are visually very obvious and distinct from both the map and on foot once you know that's what they are

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've found Some Things about the dragons this time around

1. They don't seem to spawn/despawn anymore, just fly set paths and "depower" for a bit after you knock off a piece of them
2. They're physical objects you can stand on, intentionally-- you can collect spike shards by running up and down their back
3. The combination of the two means "standing on one's horn and shooting it with an arrow" to farm horn shards is a viable thing you can just do now
4. It's also totally valid to just ride one around to mark poo poo on the map to come back later to from the sky

posted from faron's horn

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gamerofthegame posted:

horse rangling remains a pain

having the horse harness is interesting but until/unless I find the horse-summoning armor again or the horsercycle (the version that doesn't take a bunch of stuff out of my inventory to construct) my horse is going to see even less use than botw

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Anyone had any luck with amiibos daily reset working? Bet it doesn't help that Ryujin says I have -11 hours of play lol. The time fix hacks fix the save slots but don't seem to impact amiibos reset

Also anyone find fire proof armor that isn't the ugly Goron set? I have the rupees to buy prices but it's ugly and I didn't like it last game either.

the fireproof solution for fashion of the wild was always fireproof lizards with dragon horns for 30 minutes of stylish fire immunity

i think the only other single piece of fireproof armor that exists is the vah rudania helmet and in terms of fashion, well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of stuff from the last game, has anyone found a good yellow-hearts source again this game? I keep getting trolled by the devs for going to good old-game locations usually by the fuckers throwing down those ganon hand masses

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BabyRyoga posted:

You can kill the entire mass of those with like 4 bomb arrows right in the center. And any defense up food renders the spawn afterwards to half a heart damage. Def a terror in the first 5 or 10 hours of the game, but more of an annoyance after that.

I've been killing them just fine, they're just a bit of a pain and I suspect I just haven't found the proper "the trick" yet which I suspect is just going to be sitting down and finishing Riju so she can electrozap them all for me

but yeah no it's honestly just low key hilarious how many places they've popped up that are just pointedly "you remember this as a good spot from botw, well gently caress you" -- the durian farming spot, the old location for the teleport medallion, the old location for the hylian shield, the list goes on

e: I guess "the old location for the master sword" also sort of counts

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 6, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the south lomei castle top floor shrine made me lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have tips for the Kiuyoyou Shrine? It's the Fire and Ice one in the Rowan Plain. Right off the road so I'm sure everyone will do it. There's a few ice blocks and some fire jets.

I put the corner of a full size ice block on the pressure plate edge avoiding the fire but I guess that doesn't go down far enough. I then added the biggest 2nd block I could manage to save but that didn't add enough weight I guess. Added a 3rd too. I got it to turn green briefly once just using some smaller blocks stuck together but it didn't hold.

you need more than just ice for it, there's a stone plate upstairs in the corner next to the second ice dispenser that blends into the scenery a bit

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Good idea: using a giant bright bloom seed on your vehicle as a giant headlight.

Bad idea: throwing a giant bright bloom seed on your finished Monster Truck Rocket Glider with 2x Batteries. It counts as an activation hit and it'll take off so fast you won't be able to stop it.

By far the biggest sinking feeling and failure in the game so far for me. I was about to take a screenshot and save before launching it, just in case I hosed up the flight. Oh man that thing flew really good, shame when it blinked into the void too far from me to keep existing.

On the bright side, I know Monster Truck Glider has no issues flying.

things like that are why I'm eternally glad that "rewind time" pauses time during the targeting, saved me from so many accidental vehicle activations as long as I can catch it before it runs off a cliff

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Pretty sure it just freezes until you select something, so forever. It's very good in combat if enemies are throwing shot at you or whatever

yeah, "throwing" rocks and bombs back at things trying to hit you at range is pretty hilarious, especially when applicable in an underwear challenge

also I'm quickly souring on their approach to the major abilities this time around, trying to "talk to" someone, or the right someone, in the middle of frantic combat is absolutely terrible, especially when it's bound on the interact/pickup button

they should have just made it an ability wheel like rune powers, stuck the horse whistle as a key item and put the activated abilities on dpad down instead

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

Has anyone done the “one perfect bounce” shrine and if so what the gently caress do I do lol, the first one so far to completely baffle me

It's golf, you stick the metal box to the thing in the ceiling, pivot it up, and release it

basically the golf game from the last game except you don't need to waste a fuckton of weapon durability for every attempt

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Totally unrelated, "rewind time" flipped on and off cancels all momentum, which is really handy for poo poo like "I need this minecart I'm in to stop right loving now", which may be relevant to anyone doing a specific area with a fuckton of minecarts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

nah I did that one, I got the name of the one I was thinking of wrong, it’s “a well-timed bounce”, gatanisis shrine, west of knuckel island

rewind the spring

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

Thank you!!

I got one more Sage’s Will before I can learn what they do (which I would like to discover for myself of course), anyone got locations?

as far as I've found so far they're only ever in chests in the sky, so "put the picture of a chest in your sensor+ and go flying" imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I like the second ones for the sake of basically “forcing a tutorial”— I’m sure there’s going to be ways to cheese those, some more obvious than others (hell, plenty of stuff can be cheesed with a rewind elevator) but those shrines really feel like “some developer did some wild dumb poo poo with the mechanics and wanted to show it off”

like there’s one place that has a conveyor belt made entirely of upside-down small tires, it’s barely relevant apart from “you stealing some of them” but you know some dev was absolutely gleeful setting that up