Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The fusing sometimes annoys me. They tried their best with how versatile they wanted to make the building element of the game, but there is some jank for sure. Aside from that, no complaints yet.

Edit: has anyone found a seed trade in yet? I've got a couple dozen of the things

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
seriously, i've played like 20 hours+ and I still can't find where to trade in my seeds. Where the hell

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I still haven't found the poe or crystal (from the well frogs) trade in npcs yet. I think i'm bad at walking right past obvious stuff.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khanstant posted:

Crystal I just got lucky and happened to see at night in the right spot wandering around. But the poe boss is right in Lookout Town where some of the nerds are.

Where was the crystal guy?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gamerofthegame posted:

there's big war sequences where you run along a posse and help them take over a fort, which is rad

Or you go without the posse, shoot the biggest enemy you can find with a muddle arrow, and watch it fight the rest to the death

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's the deal with the nighttime gem vendor? I started the quest, and his brother moved to Tarrey Town, then said he appears on the hill to the NW at night time. It's been like 15 in-game days, i've checked every single one, and he hasn't appeared once.

Quest log updates to reflect that he "sometimes appears northwest of Tarrey Town at night".

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Speaking of stuff from the last game, has anyone found a good yellow-hearts source again this game? I keep getting trolled by the devs for going to good old-game locations usually by the fuckers throwing down those ganon hand masses

You can kill the entire mass of those with like 4 bomb arrows right in the center. And any defense up food renders the spawn afterwards to half a heart damage. Def a terror in the first 5 or 10 hours of the game, but more of an annoyance after that.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Do we think its fair to say

BOTW is to OOT
as TOTK is to MM?

This is the feel i'm getting, though maybe not quite as drastic difference

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yarrington posted:

There’s really two kinds of puzzles in this game, totally open ended “get this from here to there” that let you explore and come up with your own solution, and very finicky “get this rotated/attached exactly right” that often want more precision than I at least am capable. The multitude of visual effects (green border, red glow, orange highlights) when you’re using hand gets really annoying as sometimes it interferes with lining things up.

But then you get one of those first kind and come up with a bonkers solution and it’s game of the year

Yeah, the one major complaint I have is that building things especially is a little TOO exact. Which would be less of a problem if there were a better UI or manner of handling it. Rotating stuff is annoying as hell considering you have to cycle to some extent. Objects tend to stick in the wrong places which can gently caress something you've spent minutes setting up. Most of all, WHY CAN'T YOU CLICK IN THE RIGHT STICK to detach instead of wiggling it, which could potentially also gently caress things up?

I think they made the system slightly too complex in certain ways while not making it complex enough in other ways for QoL interactions with the ways that it is too complex.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm stuck here on this shrine, anyone done this?

I tried that last part for like a good hour or so and couldn't get it. Definitely an instance of needing to build something too exact to do it the "proper" way.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

that's wild to me, I just slapped fans on this and it worked first try

I'm playing on hardware so I wonder if some of the jankier physics puzzles are iffier on emulator

It was because I was trying variations of an entirely different thing, and it kept just barely failing because the fan physics are too simplified. I eventually remembered something else I needed to do and decided to come back later.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
for master sword quest

If you despawn the dragon, how do you get it to show up again?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game seems riddled with very minor poor design choices. Even if I buy out every store for all their arrows (which also creates a rupee problem), you just never have enough. I just noticed while fighting respawning arrow-firing minions, the game seems to actually limit how many arrows you can pick up from missed shots per enemy. Why do they make it so frustrating on the player?

Still a great game, but pointing out the flaws as I come across them.

Also, re: master sword you are pretty hosed if you don't pull it immediately after getting the 11 glyphs. The dragon never seems to spawn. I heard there is a quest that will give it an objective marker at some point.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 8, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Khanstant posted:

I don't think it's a design problem, it's part of the same philosophy for weapon durability. I don't think they game every really stick you anywhere you have to have an arrow. Some Korok puzzles for shooting balloons even, I've been out of arrows and completed them by throwing poo poo or sticking a laser on my shield.

The relative scarcity of arrows also makes them a meaningful reward in chests, or something to get you to bust open chests and things to get a few arrows to do this or that on the fly, procuring on site, and if not, finding another solution. They give you the tools to turn into weapon into a missile and poo poo you can chuck in lieu of arrowing.

I don't think it would be better if they just gave you infinite arrows or so cheap and plentiful they might as well be. Shooting things with arrows can often be a really risk free way to defeat enemies without engaging with them directly, and thus skipping all the fun interactions and other tools you have for dealing with them.

Same goes with rupee use if you are burning it all on arrows, or the other things you wanna buy. Rupees matter now. I'm happy to get a 50 or 100 rupees reward, hell, I help out sign guy because that 20 rupees helps.

If you dont have enough arrows you actually too much of your other stuff.

It teeters the border of being annoying but doesn't cross into genuinely painful. If you are fighting an enemy or boss that essentially REQUIRES you to use arrows in order to effectively fight it, there should always be a way to get more arrows. So if a boss is spawning minions that shoot you, it isn't exactly a big deal that you be able to dodge their shots and restock your arrows, but the game is quick to cut you off. I've never been down to zero arrows in such a situation so maybe if you are at zero arrows it gives you a break.

As far as the rupees go, I was ok stockpiling at first when I was selling every gem I came across, but you actually need those in sometimes absurd quantities to upgrade things. You can unlock all 4 great faeries relatively early on as they are all pretty shallow into the wilderness of the map from central Hyrule, but even at like 70? 80? hours into my playthrough, it seems almost unheard of to upgrade past even the first level of armor because of the resources it uses.

The bigger annoyance I think is rock hammers and bomb flowers. I've had to leave caves before because there either weren't enough random rusty weapons laying around, or weren't enough rocks to fuse with them in order to break the rock walls that were both gratuitous in number for one area, and also WAY too thick. If I need to go through an ENTIRE weapon or like 4 bombs to get through one wall, it goes beyond an issue of resource management and into poor calibration of what resource management entails.

It's all just tuned a little too much into annoying, but never into the category of unplayable.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Part of it in this game might be the constant want to fuse things to arrows instead of throwing them. Bombing something? Bomb Arrow. Glowseeds? Glow Arrow. Etc.

For such a cool feature, the game punishes you a bit for using it when you should just be throwing things.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
also, I still dont know what a reclaimer statue is despite having a 4 digit number of poes

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Points of cheese that may or may not be totally obvious:

1. Light Roots correspond to exact positions of shrines. You can essentially cross reference either map and stamp directly above or below any shrine or root where you've found one but not the other.

2. You can turn anything in the game that you can stand on and grab into an elevator or moving platform just by grabbing it and moving it the opposite of where you want it to go then recalling it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bardeh posted:

some of these cave systems just keep on going, seemingly forever

I've been exploring the one under Lookout Landing for a long time, found a full set of Soldier Armor, lots of ore, but then came to a dead end where an electric wall-worm thing was. Is there anything further than that down there?

Did you find the whole set of Soldier Armor or just the one piece? You can find all three in that cave. It's kinda a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished the game and promptly watched the first speedrun

holy poo poo. They really DID take everything about BOTW and amplify it like 2.2 times over. Playing through the game, I thought there would be no way to emulate the endgame feel of BOTW, but it's like the EXACT same, you just need to fight your way through an absolute army of poo poo.