Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh man, this game! Love this game!

One of the few base-building games that I've actually completed, and won at.

Child Labour, but only because I can never bring myself to do it when I play by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I agree. Let's do soup.

It's pissing out there. I could do with some soup myself.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Neophyte posted:

I've been convinced, the gentlemanly education provided by fighting arenas is a slightly higher priority than the need for warm liquids for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdSmzgwehY

Objection! You can't use that scene to affect the vote, because it was awesome!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

House of Pleasure.

Just because.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So...

Do you intend to suggest which research options are better than others? Or which ones should be prioritised over others?

I've always been big on generator upgrades myself, but I'd love to know what direction you reckon we should go.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Are these the only options, or can we go down one of the other trees?

Because I think I'd like to suggest Soup instead.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Let's have some soup.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere, it's getting cold, I could do with some soup, too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Order.

Religion is the opiate of the masses. None of that in the new world.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Morning Gathering, I think. Have the health and safety people go over their briefings, which is a very British thing to do, I imagine.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Aw man. I'm not sure about any of these.

Triage, just to be different.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Soup again. Some food is better than no food, after all.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Dynamite blasting the liquor stores out of the ice walls

There's beer in them thar hills...?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Propaganda Centre I think, to counter the Brexit crowd's vandalism.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Foreman, I think. I forget what it does though, but it sounds a lot less Orwellian than the others.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Pleasure because that's what every mining camp needs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Goddamnit, this thread is making me want to install Frostpunk all over again.

There I was, on track to play a bit of Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but this just looks like so much more fun. And the playthrough here is doing so well that I'm all like, "Yeah, this time I could do better." 'cause I survived the main scenario, sure, but you just want to go back and see if you can do more.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Patrols would be the best way to keep Order on the streets.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The best movie series.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

House of Pleasure, I think? Maybe save on heating? I mean, not really, but you know what I mean.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Philippe posted:

Horse of Pleasure

This!

My little pony...

New London can be a safe haven for bronies everywhere!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, it's weird but I'm reading this book about dictators (How to Be a Dictator by Frank Dikötter), and this game is practically pushing us into becoming a dictator. Like, it's in the playbook (had there been a playbook), but y'know, having propaganda centers blaring wall-to-wall praise for you and your policies, bully-boys to enforce your laws, hiding events that might cause discontent...

Is this a secret fascism simulator?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

House of Pleasure.

Panem et circenses, if we're going whole hog down that path.

Am I being unfair about this? As the player, we are meant to have all of the agency in the game and doing literally everything because that's how video-games work, but that's also what all of these dictators tried to do in the early 20th century... or at least took credit for. And the game presents this as a literal life-or-death situation, because we're the last bastion of civilization left in the world (presumably) but still...

Is Faith much better? I'm guessing not.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

my dad posted:

Name sounds familiar, is he by any chance a racist Dutch dude in Hong Kong?

Not sure about the racist thing, but since the rest of the stuff checks out (Dutch, living in Hong Kong), I'm guessing yes? He wrote a bunch of books about Mao and the Great Famine, which journalists liked, but academics were all like, "He ain't been using the sources right." Apparently, he's been making arguments that imperialism wasn't quite so bad, actually.

This book isn't so bad. I've gone through Mussolini, Hitler, and I'm working through Stalin. It's a bit simplified (since each of them only gets a chapter but gets the major beats alright.

Remalle posted:

It really depends how far down the path you're willing to go - it ends up being the same authoritarian hellhole as Order if you go all the way. You're absolutely correct, the game does have a narrative that it's trying to push you along, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so; I want to talk more about it once we get to the end of the scenario, but we've seen enough so far to recognize that the central question the game is asking you is "how far are you willing to go?"

Oh cool! I'm looking forward to it!

I never looked at it in much detail when I played. I'm more focused on getting to the end of it... which might actually be the point vis-a-vis expedience?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

House of Pleasure, maybe? Surely, now is the time.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Let them pray I say.

House of Pleasure, please? How can it hurt now?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That was an excellent run. Very few deaths, as near as I can tell.

What's the longest you can stretch things out? Like, you can delay Winterhome until the 15th day, but what about the others?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I dunno, it seems as though signing the final Order law seems to be the "line" so to speak, because it all seems to snowball (pun?) from there.

At that point, it loses all subtlety.

I'm not saying it's awful, but despotism isn't an overnight thing. By the time the Leader signed the last law, it should've been more of a shrug than a power grab.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Emergency Shift to start with, I reckon. Soup second.

I think we want people to get going with work and food before anything else.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Isn't there a real-life version of these Arks somewhere in one of the Lappland countries? I think I remember reading somewhere that they were going to hide seeds and suchlike in case there's a disaster of some unknown description.

Mind, I think I also remember reading that they also store nuclear waste in a similar bunker, so maybe I'm mixing things.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Fat Samurai posted:

I have just learned that's called Sarye's Law.

:awesomelon:

And they say you can't learn anything good on the internet.

Extended Shifts is the obvious next one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Mechanical Ape posted:

I get the impression New London and the Arks are unaware of each other, although their scenarios seem to be happening at the same time.

Is it meant to be concurrent? The Big Storm is the same storm that ends the other campaign?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hoo boy!

Do you have any control over New Manchester, or is it just a huge sink for resources?

And where the hell was this cheat code when we were running the city?

"Your Majesty! Tribute has arrived from the Ark City!"

"Excellent, put it in the pile to be sorted, there's a good chap."

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is this easier as well? It's truncated because there aren't any kids or families, but there seems to be a lot of resources that need to be gathered.

What's, like, the recommended route for getting through a campaign? Always be scouting?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Emergency Shift, Child Shelters.

I'm not voting on the purpose. I don't want to do Order again because we've seen it, but I really, really hate Faith.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't remember if we ever destroyed any buildings or streets. How much material do we recover from doing that?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

A lot more dying this time around.

Is this scenario harder, or is it because of the difference in policies in this playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Discontent is already high. Could we get away with Emergency Shift?