Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Timby posted:

Ad sales, selling off their content for streaming and syndication.

International rights, merchandise, IP licensing (comics, games, novels, etc)

It depends on how they bought the rights to the show and how much the showrunner retains, all negotiated

As we've seen some of these showrunners don't actually own poo poo and couldn't take the property elsewhere once the studios axed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Timby posted:

Ad sales, selling off their content for streaming and syndication.

One of the issues, I'm not sure if it's being highlighted here though, is how a studio handles a show and it's various sales.

Example:

Universal Television made Brooklyn 99, initially sold the show to Fox for a set licensing deal, then NBC after Fox passed following Season 5. Universal Television then sold the show's back catalogue to Peacock. Peacock has world wide streaming rights for the show.

In effect an NBC unit (UT) sold an NBC property (B99) to another NBC subunit (Peacock), but because there wasn't an open competition for the show's catalogue there is an air of monopolistic practices at play here artificially lowering the price paid and thus impacting residuals of all parties involved.

This strike isn't going to change that, but they are the best way to highlight the practice and how shady it is.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Important to note that streamers have different goals. Amazon wants people to subscribe to watch their stuff so people buy more things with Prime on their website. Disney cares about IP boosts in movies, toys, theme parks, and a billion other merchandising.

I have no loving clue what Hulu wants, to be fair.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Narcissus1916 posted:

Important to note that streamers have different goals. Amazon wants people to subscribe to watch their stuff so people buy more things with Prime on their website. Disney cares about IP boosts in movies, toys, theme parks, and a billion other merchandising.

you could say that about most of them that don't show ads, e.g.

max: just show off WBD properties...?
paramount+: just show off paramount properties...?
netflix: ...just stream stuff and license it?
apple: ...sell apple stuff?

i mean, we don't really know what their ultimate motives are, even if some of them are easy to guess (like disney or amazon). i don't think they necessarily know either, and that's a big part of the problem

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Narcissus1916 posted:

Which is so strange to me, because I only watch Prime stuff because I already have Prime for free shipping on the stuff I buy from them. And, anecdotal I know, but everyone I talk to who has Prime is the same way. I have no idea why they spend so much money on their streaming stuff, because I've never thought about it bringing people in so they buy stuff from Amazon until you just said it now. I'd be curious to see numbers on if that actually happens, but I know they would never release them.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
give amazon some credit, there has to be at least a little bit of money-laundering to justify this

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1651596852142260224

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Most streaming services these days, are just owned by their parent cable company / network.

Peacock is just NBCUniversal's catalog (and owned by Comcast).
Paramount Plus is just Paramount & their catalog.
HBO Max and Discovery Plus are both under WB.

HBO Max currently has the streaming rights for South Park, but they got that license before Paramount Plus launched, and pretty sure Paramount Plus is getting the catalog in 2024 after the license ends.

Hulu is currently 75% owned by Disney and 25% by Comcast, so there's shows from both companies in there. But I think Disney has the option to buy out Comcast next year.

Netflix still holds on to a lot of licensing deals before the cable companies started their own streaming services, so they still have a lot of shows but I'm not sure if they have successfully held on to any streaming rights from shows where the contract has come up for renewal.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

kliras posted:

give amazon some credit, there has to be at least a little bit of money-laundering to justify this

Yeeeeesh. Why the hell does Amazon keep giving these HUGE budget shows to showrunners with little (or lovely) experience? They did it with Wheel of Time, Rings of Powerbottom, and soon to be God of War.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1654217853212532736

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Apparently only 19 days left of filming, so not that big of an impact.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeeeeesh. Why the hell does Amazon keep giving these HUGE budget shows to showrunners with little (or lovely) experience? They did it with Wheel of Time, Rings of Powerbottom, and soon to be God of War.

Because tech companies are bad at making media, plain and simple. For Rings of Power, they fielded pitches for their very expensive license and picked the one they liked the most. By all accounts, it was the best idea of the bunch, and a clever take on the limited rights they had access to. So they moved forward with it regardless of the talent involved, regardless of who the guys who came up with the idea were. And then they just let them make a show they were wildly unqualified to make. It probably sounded like a good idea because Peter Jackson wasn't a AAA director either. They missed the part where he was an incredibly talented and capable director beforehand, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 4, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

1. this is bad

2. the show honestly couldn't get any worse though

So this is a dilemma

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Presumably the same reason Marvel does it, namely that it's easier to maintain control over the final product with an inexperienced person with less connections who is probably just glad to be there.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You could tell me that Citadel's script was AI generated and I'd believe you.. Its staggeringly bad. And I'm a guy who took enjoyment from the critically panned Terminal List

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

House of the Dragon is gearing up to shoot an entire season without writers to tweek the scripts as they go

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

feedmyleg posted:

Because tech companies are bad at making media, plain and simple. For Rings of Power, they fielded pitches for their very expensive license and picked the one they liked the most. By all accounts, it was the best idea of the bunch, and a clever take on the limited rights they had access to. So they moved forward with it regardless of the talent involved, regardless of who the guys who came up with the idea were. And then they just let them make a show they were wildly unqualified to make. It probably sounded like a good idea because Peter Jackson wasn't a AAA director either. They missed the part where he was an incredibly talented and capable director beforehand, though.

honestly this is pretty close to how they operate with tech services or software too. since that makes them a ton of money they probably figured it would work (and tech people, particularly in management, think they know better than anyone else anyway). it's the same reason why teslas are insanely lovely cars

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was a really good thread I saw that linked this whole situation pretty directly to the 'infinite growth' grift of late stage capitalism.

Here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1653280876753719296.html

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

kliras posted:

It might be the old standard tax write off also. They spend all that on a show, if it's a huge hit and gets them some awards or makes them money, great, but if it loses money (and they can use the cliched Hollywood accounting for this) they get a tax write off. Think of all the Amazon boxes that get branded with their newest show on them, congrats, now they're marketing they had to pay for. Hell, the guy who wrote Men in Black gets yearly reports from the studio saying how they still are in the red on it so they don't have to pay him back end percentages he negotiated in his contract.

At those amounts of money it's probably a little bit of money laundering, a little bit of tax fuckery, a little bit of dumping failsons somewhere, a little bit of getting to hang out with movie stars, maybe say you're a producer and can be the big break that a young actor or actress is looking for, there's a million reasons. None of them are really ethical,

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The gently caress

https://twitter.com/cogman_bryan/status/1654148618444521478

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's straight up bad cartoon villain evil scheming, Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

2008 writer's strike late night monologues are starting to show up on my youtube recommendations. I forgot that lots of people that came back grew solidarity beards. What's the over/under on how many beards we'll see this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzx3raap3hQ

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Narcissus1916 posted:

It was the Anti-Netflix, thrown together Supergroup style when Networks fou.d out that people liked watching shows o line and that they had let Netflox pick over the majority of the catalog for pennies.

It just survives mow but Huluween is good stuff!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I'd have to go digging for the tweets and Google's not helping, but I remember that supposedly all the Amazon people also put in an absurd amount of notes for each scene. Something like a short minute scene having hundreds of notes they had to thumb through from idiot producers who had opinions about props, lighting, reads, etc. They said at some point they just stopped reviewing and fighting because how can you deal with that kind of micro management.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

seaborgium posted:

It might be the old standard tax write off also. They spend all that on a show, if it's a huge hit and gets them some awards or makes them money, great, but if it loses money (and they can use the cliched Hollywood accounting for this) they get a tax write off. Think of all the Amazon boxes that get branded with their newest show on them, congrats, now they're marketing they had to pay for. Hell, the guy who wrote Men in Black gets yearly reports from the studio saying how they still are in the red on it so they don't have to pay him back end percentages he negotiated in his contract.

The tax write off thing never makes sense. You spend $100 million on something, okay sure you lower your taxes owed by 15 million, but you're still down 85 million!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The tax write off thing never makes sense. You spend $100 million on something, okay sure you lower your taxes owed by 15 million, but you're still down 85 million!

It's a function of dipshit goons quoting other dipshit goons neither of which know anything beyond the twitter prompt. basically.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hulu is currently 75% owned by Disney and 25% by Comcast, so there's shows from both companies in there. But I think Disney has the option to buy out Comcast next year.

Not really. It's 66% own by Disney and 33% owned by Comcast. Both sides can force the sale of the Comcast stake of Hulu with a minimum valuation of ~$28B (meaning ROUGHLY Comcast's share is worth $9B) in Jan 2024. Following that magical date in Jan 2024 Hulu's value will be assessed by an an independent third party, and given Hulu is second only to Netflix it's likely that $28B valuation will only go up.

In 2020 and 2021 Disney tried to exercise the sale, however valuation could not be agreed upon between the companies. Rumor have it that Comcast wanted ESPN in lieu of a full cash payout. And that's kind of the crux of the issue, come Jan 2024 Disney either comes up with $9B - after laying off 7K workers and targeting $5.5B in savings - or risks watching Comcast pull their content and sell to someone else.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sort of...

two equally plausible scenarios that come to mind based on my limited recollection of College Finance / Accounting course:

1) you an carry those losses forward for x years, so that $100M write off can be carried forward like 5 (???) years against future profits.

2) you can write off a subsidiary's losses against the parent company's profits. So Bad Movie Co is wholly owned by Major Studio. That $100M Bad Movie Co production can be used against revenue of Major Studio

But it's been forever since I thought about it, but this is largely what CPAs and the like get paid to do.

Maybe we need a Business of TV thread? I think the 2008 strike had something similar and it was very enlightening to me about the economic realities of the business at the time - things like a season 3 renewal is also in effect a season 4 renewal as well due to how syndication worked at the time.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nystral posted:

two equally plausible scenarios that come to mind based on my limited recollection of College Finance / Accounting course:

1) you an carry those losses forward for x years, so that $100M write off can be carried forward like 5 (???) years against future profits.

2) you can write off a subsidiary's losses against the parent company's profits. So Bad Movie Co is wholly owned by Major Studio. That $100M Bad Movie Co production can be used against revenue of Major Studio

But it's been forever since I thought about it, but this is largely what CPAs and the like get paid to do.

Maybe we need a Business of TV thread? I think the 2008 strike had something similar and it was very enlightening to me about the economic realities of the business at the time - things like a season 3 renewal is also in effect a season 4 renewal as well due to how syndication worked at the time.

Right but even in those two cases you're only "saving" whatever the corporate tax rate you pay is. It's worse to lose money than to not lose money, and making a vague hand-wave about "tax writeoffs" doesn't change that.

(There are some weird exceptions like when you cancel something, like the Batgirl movie, you get to "move up" all the costs that would otherwise have been amortized over time, so if you *really* care about getting the ~15% lump-sum today instead of spread out over ten years, you can do that, but you're still only ever getting back a tiny portion of the money spent.)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Right but even in those two cases you're only "saving" whatever the corporate tax rate you pay is. It's worse to lose money than to not lose money, and making a vague hand-wave about "tax writeoffs" doesn't change that.

(There are some weird exceptions like when you cancel something, like the Batgirl movie, you get to "move up" all the costs that would otherwise have been amortized over time, so if you *really* care about getting the ~15% lump-sum today instead of spread out over ten years, you can do that, but you're still only ever getting back a tiny portion of the money spent.)

We're both over simplifying the tax code quote a bit, however my understanding is that the big numbers being tossed about largely go against corps with revenue in the Billions so it can be realized immediately / near term.

Amazon spending $300M on a TV show likely encompasses internal transfers such as marketing costs to amazon.com for ads / FireTV placement / boxes and AWS for whatever production technical infrastructure is required and therefore not a "real" loss. But even if if it's a total loss - $300M against $500B in 2022 revenue likely means it will all be realized in year 1.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nystral posted:

Not really. It's 66% own by Disney and 33% owned by Comcast. Both sides can force the sale of the Comcast stake of Hulu with a minimum valuation of ~$28B (meaning ROUGHLY Comcast's share is worth $9B) in Jan 2024. Following that magical date in Jan 2024 Hulu's value will be assessed by an an independent third party, and given Hulu is second only to Netflix it's likely that $28B valuation will only go up.

Is Hulu really second only to Netflix? The widely-available numbers only give worldwide subscribers, but it doesn't FEEL like Hulu is number two in the U.S.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nystral posted:

We're both over simplifying the tax code quote a bit, however my understanding is that the big numbers being tossed about largely go against corps with revenue in the Billions so it can be realized immediately / near term.

Amazon spending $300M on a TV show likely encompasses internal transfers such as marketing costs to amazon.com for ads / FireTV placement / boxes and AWS for whatever production technical infrastructure is required and therefore not a "real" loss. But even if if it's a total loss - $300M against $500B in 2022 revenue likely means it will all be realized in year 1.

Somewhat this, the $300M isn't real money but includes a large amount Amazon that 'pays' to itself.

So for example a company is going to make a $200M movie. It creates a subsidiary to handle production and 'loans' the subsidiary the $200M at a 25% interest rate. The movie finishes production, and then the subsidiary agrees to give all rights back to the parent company in exchange for forgiving the debt.

The company then gets to write off what is now much closer to $300M + any marketing expenses.

So if a company has a vertical structure, they also own the advertising firm and the marketing expenses to write off have ballooned absurdly because internal rates tend to be 2-3x higher than external.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I'm super curious what this situation of having no scripts is going to mean for these streamers that have been pumping out a colossal amount of content for years, now. It's going to be a real debacle.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rental Sting posted:

I'm super curious what this situation of having no scripts is going to mean for these streamers that have been pumping out a colossal amount of content for years, now. It's going to be a real debacle.

It's almost certainly going to slow down rollouts of new scripted programming. Depending on how long the strike lasts, we could get down to a trickle of content by the end of the year.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm interested to see how Apple deals with this since it doesn't licence content. Their proposition is, with the occasional exception, that their service is for their originals only.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Maybe that's why they're keeping Masters of the Air in their back pocket.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its wild how little residuals and royalties are now.

WGA member here. Broadcast and cable residuals are still pretty good, but streaming residuals are absolutely pathetic. They were first negotiated during the 07-08 strike, back when "streaming content" was like, trailers and promo clips on YouTube. Sometimes original short-form content, little mini webisodes.

The problem is that paltry residual figure is now being applied to full-fledged, full-length, high-budget movies and TV series.

For example, the first TV episode I ever wrote was for a network show back in 2019. My residuals to date (2019-2023) for that particular episode break down as follows:

Broadcast/Foreign Broadcast/Cable: $40,607.79
Streaming (Hulu/Netflix): $824.76

And that's before taxes! I think the numbers speak for themselves. If you're on a straight-to-streaming show, you really can't count on residuals to be a meaningful part of your income. So you're only relying on your base weekly pay. And with the streamers having their writers rooms only going for, say, 12-16 weeks or less, you're basically relying on that small window of time to make your whole year's pay. So when you hear people say "But WGA minimums are like $4k a week!", bear in mind that could only add up to $48-$62k over the course of one show. And it's VERY hard to line up two shows in a row due to everyone being on different production schedules.

What's more, writers' rooms used to employ 15-20 writers at a time. Now I'm hearing stories about rooms as low as 5 writers. Even 3! That's why we're pushing for minimum room sizes AND minimum weeks of employment, including employing writers through production (another popular move is to fire the entire writing staff as soon as the cameras start rolling, leaving just the showrunner to handle ALL writing duties during production).

Anyway, my legs hurt from picketing all week and I could be out of work for months, but this is a fight worth fighting. We're very much fighting for the survival of screenwriting as a viable profession.

Edit:

Rental Sting posted:

Broadcast and cable networks will probably run out of scripted content pretty fast. Streamers will be prepared, they love to stockpile content and just sit on it. Netflix is especially notorious for this -- Netflix shot Love is Blind back in 2018, but didn't release it until 2020. I spoke to a writer last night who just wrapped on a Netflix show that she said wouldn't be released until 2026 :shrug:

Argyle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 6, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Argyle posted:

Anyway, my legs hurt from picketing all week and I could be out of work for months, but this is a fight worth fighting. We're very much fighting for the survival of screenwriting as a viable profession.

Be honest, you were just in it for some free Pete Davidson pizza

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

mutantIke posted:

Be honest, you were just in it for some free Pete Davidson pizza

No but Rob Lowe made eye contact with me in the picket line so that's something

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argyle posted:

No but Rob Lowe made eye contact with me in the picket line so that's something

LITERALLY the coolest thing that could have happened

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My job is about to shut down and I hope I can get by on unemployment. Good luck to the writers but this sucks. Hopefully they find quick success and my union is inspired enough to go for bigger pay raises so we aren’t falling behind actual cost of living increases every year. Just kidding, that won’t happen.

:smith: sorry, just panicking a little here right now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we're all very shocked

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1654578842944634884

quote:

The Disney letter (read it in full, below) features a Q&A informing showrunners that they are “required” to perform duties that are not in line with the guidance provided by the WGA to its around 11,500 striking members.

The memo specifically states that in showrunner and/or writer-producer roles, “you may, along with other non-writing services, be required to perform services commonly referred to as ‘a. thorough h.’ services as a producer,” such as cutting for time, small changes to dialogue or narration made before or during production and “changes in technical or stage directions.” These are duties that, according to the WGA’s contract, non-writers can perform on covered projects.

However, the WGA strike rules explicitly prohibit union members from performing these activities during the 2023 work stoppage. “The Rules prohibit hyphenates (members who are employed in dual capacities) from performing any writing services, including the ‘(a) through (h)’ functions,” the rules state, which puts showrunners and writer-producers in a difficult position, caught between the dictates of their employers and their union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"small changes to dialogue or narration"

That's loving WRITING for gently caress's sake! :psyduck: