Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for clarifying, would rather be annoyed at the right things than a distracting not even it thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

In the meantime, Bob Iger has found the silver bullet to solve all of Disney's woes:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1729969014397456435

Throwing all of their POC and LGBT+ creators under the bus and going back to pandering to straight white males to try and win back the love of insane chuds!

Wish 2 will be about a planet killer meteorite falling to Earth

(btw, google "meteorite" lol)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

In the meantime, Bob Iger has found the silver bullet to solve all of Disney's woes:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1729969014397456435

Throwing all of their POC and LGBT+ creators under the bus and going back to pandering to straight white males to try and win back the love of insane chuds!

At least when Eisner said it he phrased it in a way to make it sound like being positive and progressive was a natural side effect of making good poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghouls.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Iger throwing his employees under the bus.

Classy with a K.

Shades of Sam Palmisano at IBM.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What messages exactly have been in Disney films?

I haven’t watched all the Disney releases this year but I watched all the marvel ones, the film they just released has 4 women leads and never once do they even remotely allude to anything related to women’s rights, feminism, or even anything political. It’s loving sanitized of any message about anything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really can't imagine the message of the 30 cash in remakes and fatiguing sequels of every IP is the problem.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

1st AD posted:

What messages exactly have been in Disney films?

I haven’t watched all the Disney releases this year but I watched all the marvel ones, the film they just released has 4 women leads and never once do they even remotely allude to anything related to women’s rights, feminism, or even anything political. It’s loving sanitized of any message about anything.

There was queer content cut from the film, so perhaps this is just a reference to a practice that's recently started motion.

Thought it's also possible that a film starring mostly women, mostly people of colour, like, that's considered a "message" film in and of itself. The "woke go broke" lot would probably consider it to be, so, like, maybe that's what Iger'a gesturing at.

It's all very vague, but I don't like it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Khanstant posted:

I really can't imagine the message of the 30 cash in remakes and fatiguing sequels of every IP is the problem.

Don't those make a billion dollars each?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

External Organs posted:

Don't those make a billion dollars each?

Not anymore, is the problem Iger has.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They're creatively bankrupt. I'm glad it's not working anymore.

Hollywood's problem is that they're no longer throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks or letting young filmmakers make flicks that speak to their generation.

We're all getting really sick of nostalgia and milking old IP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We're also at Peak Movies under capitalism's drive for infinite growth so Disney is now figuring out that not every movie can make a billion dollars all the time. It's not sustainable.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Long for the day either Capitalism dies or the idea of infinite growth dies and just keeping steady is a-okay

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s like they just completely forgot that one of the whole reasons why comic book movies had such an initial great showing was because they were seen as a fresh hopping-on point after the comics themselves had gained a reputation for being impenetrable and full of self-referential stories that also became a tangle for the writers themselves.

I mean, back when I was a kid growing up with Batman TAS, that was part of the charm: pretty much every episode could be someone’s first, and they all worked as standalone stories that could quickly fill the audience in on who’s who.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

We're also at Peak Movies under capitalism's drive for infinite growth so Disney is now figuring out that not every movie can make a billion dollars all the time. It's not sustainable.

Yeah he's explicitly saying this and also "uh maybe we're making too many dumb sequels?"

quote:

“I’m not sure another studio will ever achieve some of the numbers that we achieved,” Iger said at the press conference. “I mean, we got to the point where if a film didn’t do a billion dollars in global box office, we were disappointed. That’s an unbelievably high standard and I think we have to get more realistic.”

Speaking more broadly about Disney’s output, Iger added, “I don’t want to apologize for making sequels. Some of them have done extraordinarily well and they’ve been good films, too. I think you there has to be a reason to make them, you have to have a good story. And often the story doesn’t hold up to is not as strong as the original story. That can be a problem.”

Per CNBC: “Iger said that there has to be a reason ‘beyond commerce’ to make a follow-up film to a hit, noting that over the last past few years Disney has ‘made too many.'”

“It doesn’t mean we’re not going to continue to make them,” Iger added. “We’re making a number of them now right as a matter of fact. But we will only greenlight a sequel if we believe the story that the creators want to tell is worth telling.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/bob-iger-disney-too-man-sequels-explains-marvels-flop-1235814475/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I cannot imagine him sitting down to watch the movies people actually make. I assume his note about some of the sequels actually being good movies comes from a scribble in a finance sheet somewhere with a red circle and "good?" scratched near it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

It’s like they just completely forgot that one of the whole reasons why comic book movies had such an initial great showing was because they were seen as a fresh hopping-on point after the comics themselves had gained a reputation for being impenetrable and full of self-referential stories that also became a tangle for the writers themselves.

I mean, back when I was a kid growing up with Batman TAS, that was part of the charm: pretty much every episode could be someone’s first, and they all worked as standalone stories that could quickly fill the audience in on who’s who.

Also for a large part of the audience, the MCU is done. Not like in kaput but they saw what they needed to see with Endgame as the endpoint. The new movies don't have the two big characters they really liked and even the characters in stuff they like have been in bad movies like Love & Thunder and Quantumania and for anybody else they have to do homework.

No genre stays on top for ever but Disney in their greed really hurried it along.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah Disney blatantly milking Star Wars and Marvel for all its worth with 2 or 3 high profile releases a year along with god knows how many shows is wearing everyone's patience thin. I used to be a huge Star Wars fan but man how they have massacred my boy... you can't have rebels versus the empire when the ones making it are the grand moffs

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 1, 2023

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dawgstar posted:

Also for a large part of the audience, the MCU is done. Not like in kaput but they saw what they needed to see with Endgame as the endpoint. The new movies don't have the two big characters they really liked and even the characters in stuff they like have been in bad movies like Love & Thunder and Quantumania and for anybody else they have to do homework.

No genre stays on top for ever but Disney in their greed really hurried it along.

I feel like Disney could have at least offset this a bit if they had any kind of clear throughline for whatever phase they're in now, but the latest batch of films has just felt so disjointed and all over the place. The Infinity Gems featuring as MacGuffins spread through the films might have been pretty minor in retrospect but drat at least it was something - everyone knew Infinity Gems = Infinity Gauntlet = Thanos, it was a simple but effective way to get people on board and invested for what was to come. This latest phase feels like its just spinning its wheels or going off on weird tangents that don't amount to anything when it isn't just throwing up its arms and going "MULTIVERSE" *Jazz Hands*.

If you want to get me on board again, give me something that's more than just some uncomfortable reminder that you guys iced one of your biggest competitors just to get at those sweet Fox IP's or the implicit threat of an in-cannon reset button that could invalidate over a decade of work. They seemed to be trying to go that way with Kang but now that's become an uncomfortable reminder of the Johnathan Majors assault charges.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That aspect was more that they're sort of scatterbraining around different directions: A bit of Kang here, a bit of cosmic there, some Young Avengers, some X-Men...They kind of needed to pick one thing as the unifying direction because, yes, we're getting into the comics problem of people only care about Spider-Man and Wolverine and you can't use the trick of them guesting in other characters' stories every time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I feel like Disney could have at least offset this a bit if they had any kind of clear throughline for whatever phase they're in now, but the latest batch of films has just felt so disjointed and all over the place. The Infinity Gems featuring as MacGuffins spread through the films might have been pretty minor in retrospect but drat at least it was something - everyone knew Infinity Gems = Infinity Gauntlet = Thanos, it was a simple but effective way to get people on board and invested for what was to come. This latest phase feels like its just spinning its wheels or going off on weird tangents that don't amount to anything when it isn't just throwing up its arms and going "MULTIVERSE" *Jazz Hands*.

If you want to get me on board again, give me something that's more than just some uncomfortable reminder that you guys iced one of your biggest competitors just to get at those sweet Fox IP's or the implicit threat of an in-cannon reset button that could invalidate over a decade of work. They seemed to be trying to go that way with Kang but now that's become an uncomfortable reminder of the Johnathan Majors assault charges.

The secret to the sauce is Kevin Feige. To say 'overworked executive' sounds really weird to say but is kind of true in this specific instance since Disney decided they needed a content mill to boost up D+ with a new series coming out just in time to take over for the next one so people didn't drop D+ like they do other streaming services until something new comes back so they had Feige overseeing a ton of stuff and a lot of things slipped through the cracks. It was also stuff the average moviegoer has no interest in seeing since until Endgame MCU pictures felt like an Event, but with D+ series and late-stage capitalism throwing Disney into the throes of 'must have a billion dollar picture every quarter or more' now they're the actual equivalent of going down to the comic store every week for your new issues and few people have the patience for that, especially when they're not very good.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

The secret to the sauce is Kevin Feige. To say 'overworked executive' sounds really weird to say but is kind of true in this specific instance since Disney decided they needed a content mill to boost up D+ with a new series coming out just in time to take over for the next one so people didn't drop D+ like they do other streaming services until something new comes back so they had Feige overseeing a ton of stuff and a lot of things slipped through the cracks. It was also stuff the average moviegoer has no interest in seeing since until Endgame MCU pictures felt like an Event, but with D+ series and late-stage capitalism throwing Disney into the throes of 'must have a billion dollar picture every quarter or more' now they're the actual equivalent of going down to the comic store every week for your new issues and few people have the patience for that, especially when they're not very good.

And now Filoni will make every single one of those mistakes from overwork on Disney's other big IP :thumbsup:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I suspect the same thing happened with Kathleen Kennedy. Before Disney Star Wars she had a tremendous track record as a producer, then under The Mouse, like Feige during the same period, she was tasked with churning out content on an absurd schedule.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol Disney always goes through these periodic episodes of intense brand dilution before scaling back and focusing on releasing just a few quality products to build back audience trust

incredibly there's been like 3 or 4 of these periods without killing the company

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

throwing up its arms and going "MULTIVERSE" *Jazz Hands*.
This is not only loving funny, it's the perfect summation of what they've been doing.

Gods, this phase has been a shitshow. Eternals was the canary in the coal mine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

This is not only loving funny, it's the perfect summation of what they've been doing.

Disney CEO: To be fair, who could have seen the Eternals being awful coming?
aide whispers in CEO's ear
Disney CEO: Well why didn't Gary Oldman tell us earlier!?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Eternals really kind of was emblematic of post-Endgame MCU in general, wasn't it? A movie staring like 16 brand new main characters no one's ever heard of before or cares about, that pointlessly goes back and recons a bunch of poo poo in a story universe that was already built on sand and made up as they went along, and then told a typical MCU sloppy rear end story on top of that, was stunt cast with Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani and not one but TWO Game of Thrones actors, so it was probably expensive as poo poo just on the cast alone, and then nothing that happened in it mattered to the rest of the movies nor any of the people involved in it returned even for cameos in anything else and the only thing anyone even remembers from it now are those Kingo memes, maybe.

Now do that times, what like 8? 10? And that's the MCU Phase... whatever we're on now. I gave up on that poo poo when after six hours of pissing in a corner, Falcon and the Winter Soldier turned around and said right into the camera "Hey, you know who's the REAL villain here? Homeless refugees who've lost everything. gently caress those losers."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Eternals really kind of was emblematic of post-Endgame MCU in general, wasn't it? A movie staring like 16 brand new main characters no one's ever heard of before or cares about, that pointlessly goes back and recons a bunch of poo poo in a story universe that was already built on sand and made up as they went along, and then told a typical MCU sloppy rear end story on top of that, was stunt cast with Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani and not one but TWO Game of Thrones actors, so it was probably expensive as poo poo just on the cast alone, and then nothing that happened in it mattered to the rest of the movies nor any of the people involved in it returned even for cameos in anything else and the only thing anyone even remembers from it now are those Kingo memes, maybe.

You forgot trying to set up a character that still I don't think has a full script in Blade.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Marvel has kinda tried to do the right thing. Hiring an art house director who literally just won an Oscar was an attempt to do the right thing. And the director of The Marvels has a similarly exciting background. Something is going wrong in production obviously but they’ve arguably made bold leadership picks. Or, as it turns out, making a good movie is just really hard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I think Marvel has kinda tried to do the right thing. Hiring an art house director who literally just won an Oscar was an attempt to do the right thing. And the director of The Marvels has a similarly exciting background. Something is going wrong in production obviously but they’ve arguably made bold leadership picks. Or, as it turns out, making a good movie is just really hard.

Marvel and Star Wars both had the same problem of hiring directors who'd done some really good and creative stuff in the past, who made stuff you could consider art, and then forcing them them to produce homogenized corporate focus grouped crap that was meant to make to make as close to a billion dollars as possible before being forgotten about entirely within a month. The difference being that Kathleen Kennedy was quicker on the draw than Kevin Feige was at firing directors who went off-formula and strayed too far into making something that might actually be interesting or take some risks, quality not withstanding. See: Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson, Colin Tervorrow, Josh Trank, James Mangold, Patty Jenkins, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, among others. Feige meanwhile kept his directors on a short leash and made sure they at least turned in a product and then "fixed" it for them in post, ala what happened to Nia DaCosta and The Marvels or Edgar Wright and Ant-Man.

Though again these issues all go back to Disney being Disney at the end of the day.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2023

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Today is the last day to vote, I'm sitting on ballots for my 4 kids and haven't decided if/how we will all vote. They are too young to understand this stuff to make an informed decision, and most everything I have heard/read is that it just doesn't do enough to satisfy most folks. Our family is primarily background workers, so the AI/scanning protections matter to us. Anyone have any advice or info that can inform us one way or the other?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

From my point of view from the AD/production side, there are very very few circumstances where using a digital replica would be cheaper than a call back, especially in this contract period. I've written a bit in this thread about it. If it does come to pass, the studio is supposed to try a call back before using your replica and they could play schedule games with paying you for fewer hours or days than you would have worked, but you would have already had to have been established as featured but not be as visible in the later scenes to necessitate very accurate (expensive) vfx to create a new performance for you.

On the other hand, even though studios are required to get permission per project for digital replicas, they don't have to pay punitive damages for violations, so we'll see if they try to break those.

Happy to see that photo doubles who have to read for lazy principals in reverse shots get a $150 bump though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1732240277224693817?s=20

Welp, it's done

But what's with the numbers? 38% turnout and it still passed?

And coinciding with this is Voice Actors expressing disappointment: looks like a lot of them wanted stronger measures against AI but got thrown under the bus. Well that sucks :smith:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1732240277224693817?s=20

Welp, it's done

But what's with the numbers? 38% turnout and it still passed?

And coinciding with this is Voice Actors expressing disappointment: looks like a lot of them wanted stronger measures against AI but got thrown under the bus. Well that sucks :smith:

Wow, so three quarters of less than half of the entire Screen Actors Guild decided on this for everyone, huh? I guess that's democracy in action though, the people who show up to vote are the ones who make the decisions everyone else have to live with. Hope this has no long term unintended consequences, but at least the WGA got a good deal out of their strike...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hollywood grinds people for profit and everyone wants a slice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah 48% voted to strike but only 38% voted on the contract.

Historic contract voting:
2020: 27%
2017: 15%
2014: 14%

SAG is hard to compare to other unions because only 12% of members work more than 100 days a year/make more than $26k.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

theflyingexecutive posted:

SAG is hard to compare to other unions because only 12% of members work more than 100 days a year/make more than $26k.

And this is WITH a Union, loving hell :sigh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

And this is WITH a Union, loving hell :sigh:

There's a lot that factors in, but the big one is that you have to stay current on dues ($250/yr+1.6% of your gross) to receive residuals and be eligible for SAG roles. If you lapse, you have to pay $3k to get back in (don't worry, SAG will put you on a payment plan with interest).

The very hosed part is that 1.6% caps out at $1600/yr. Tom Cruise and Chris Pratt pay $1850/yr to SAG and a no name rando making $50k pays $1050/yr, so the vast majority of dues come from the poorest members.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
It's a bit more than that. The 1.6% is capped at $1m gross earnings, so your Jennifer Lawrences and Brad Pitts are paying $16,000 per year, not $1,600. But yes, the overall majority of dues come from the lower earning members.

Edit: that's 1.6% of SAG eligible fees, so if you work on an independent non-union show you don't pay dues on those earnings. But conversely those earnings don't go towards healthcare eligibility thresholds etc.

SAG-AFTRA is very different from the other Hollywood labour unions. Unlike the other unions, the large majority of SAG members' primary job is not acting. This is one reason why they have traditionally been the least politically engaged of the Hollywood unions - WGA being by far the most active - and why a 38% turnout for the ratification is actually a pretty big number.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've seen folks begging the working-class actors to make sure to check any contracts and refuse AI scanning this that's still in play. It's okay, though, they'll just take it up at the next union negotiations! Okay is in air quotes.