Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Pillowpants posted:

What are you referring to ? The theories aboUT AMC?

These are the most relevant things of gathered information I can currently find and try to outline and get into specifics on how the mechanics of it work; if you're automatically disregarding anything the reddit 'apes' etc say then idk. It's a lot of disparate information but it does seem to sync up with the overall thing going on of vulture capitalism looting America for all it's worth right now and the driving down of wages with layoffs etc despite record high profits, the WGA stuff currently going on, etc.

I am not saying 'this is all truth' but at least people bothered to pull together information to try and figure out what's going on; my only opinion if you smell poo poo something probably stinks, dig? I have no personal or emotional attachment to any of this except the deep-soul revulsion of capitalism in general and the grinding of the human spirit into paste to make numbers go up and make people suffer so sicko billionaire sadists can get their jollies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/ngafr3/hedge_funds_stole_the_american_economy_created/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/np33hr/amazon_bain_capital_and_citadel_bust_out_the/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Nnedi Okorafor, George RR Martin and Neil Gaiman out picketing

https://twitter.com/Nnedi/status/1662486696536207366?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
George, the strike doesn't mean you can't write novels!

j/k that's really cool

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn nanny-era Fran Drescher was amazing as a writer/producer/actor but wow after (maybe) marrying the scumbag of the western work she started equivocating about a sag/aftra strike.

She went through some horrible poo poo, but she married one of the biggest assholes in the world that wasn’t Kirk Johnson.

Then last week she started equivocating before negotiations even started, what the hell?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

Worth noting as well this garbage show that's likely used for corporate financial fuckery is conveniently named the same as a big financial player that had shady rear end and likely illegal stuff going on with Bezos/Amazon. Some show about nebulous shady stuff and crimes and all that.Now what happens when you search for Citadel Amazon etc?

I guess we'll never know if it's true, but a similar thing happened in the UK during Brexit. One of Boris Johnson's brexit campaign things was having huge ads on buses all over london that claimed that after brexit the UK would have 350M extra to spend on healthcare (the nhs). When it became clear that that was absolute made up nonsense, BJ gave a bizarre interview where among other things he claimed one of his hobbies was building model busses (he even brought one to the interview).

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Replace executives with AI

https://twitter.com/WGAEast/status/1663953108332838930?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's amazing (except it's not) that of all the execs in the streaming industry Netflix's think they deserve even more money. Because of their rich history of recent successes.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1663993096340660224

oh baby, here we go. Reminder: SAG-AFTRA strike vote is June 7th

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly if the Teamsters are against you I'd just throw in the towel now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Replace executives with AI

What do they actually do that a machine couldn't? They mostly just push what the algorithm "wants" onto their writers and production teams, surely they're the most useless part in a system that runs off AI?

Because it's of course not about that, it's about them.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/IATSE/status/1663993096340660224

oh baby, here we go. Reminder: SAG-AFTRA strike vote is June 7th

hell yeah, solidarity

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If SAG and the DGA both strike as well, the studios are gonna have to deal, surely. They can't replace half the industry.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hell, just the teamsters sympathy striking for a week would destroy them

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly if the Teamsters are against you I'd just throw in the towel now.

Hell yes. My 94 year old grandfather was still receiving his Teamster pension last year when he passed away. I think my 93 year old grandmother still receives some of it, or got a payout when he died? He always said they took care of them.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 1, 2023

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

too bad thats illegal in the us so we just have to wait until august when they vote on their new contracts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Hell yes. My 94 year old grandfather was still receiving his Teamster pension last year when he passed away. I think my 93 year old grandmother still receives some of it, or got a payout when he died? He always said they took care of them.

I'm also given to understand that a lot more folks are organized under the Teamsters than most folks realize. Maybe even execs.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dawgstar posted:

I'm also given to understand that a lot more folks are organized under the Teamsters than most folks realize. Maybe even execs.

Based on stories I've seen on twitter, a lot of the Teamsters are contractually protected if they decide not to cross a picket. And they do take advantage of that because lets be honest, nothing better than getting paid to sit around all day.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Apparently the Supreme Court just passed judgment saying businesses can sue unions for loss of income due to strikes?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Davros1 posted:

Apparently the Supreme Court just passed judgment saying businesses can sue unions for loss of income due to strikes?

Not quite:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/01/business/economy/supreme-court-strikes-teamsters.html posted:

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that federal labor law did not protect a union from liability for damage that arose during a strike, and that a state court should resolve questions of liability.

The majority found that actions during a strike by a local Teamsters union were not even arguably protected by federal law because the union took “affirmative steps to endanger” the employer’s property “rather than reasonable precautions to mitigate that risk.”

From what I have read, it's saying that Federal law doesn't automatically protect unions from being sued for property damages related to specific incidents (in this case, a union walked off a job after loading concrete into some trucks which ultimately wasn't used, spoiling the concrete) and therefore that question can go before the state court.

Whether that can be further extended into more severe charges of economic damages due to striking workers is still an open question, but it definitely raises that possibility. That's a future issue though.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 1, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

seaborgium posted:

Based on stories I've seen on twitter, a lot of the Teamsters are contractually protected if they decide not to cross a picket. And they do take advantage of that because lets be honest, nothing better than getting paid to sit around all day.

To the best of my knowledge the teamsters affected by the strike get paid as soon as they leave their homes so they get paid no matter what happens. Most of the other unions don’t have contracts like that and if you choose not to cross a line you don’t start your day and might not get paid.

There’s a lot of dubious behavior going on these days regarding line crossing, I won’t get into it that much but it’s a drag.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ashpanash posted:

Not quite:

From what I have read, it's saying that Federal law doesn't automatically protect unions from being sued for property damages related to specific incidents (in this case, a union walked off a job after loading concrete into some trucks which ultimately wasn't used, spoiling the concrete) and therefore that question can go before the state court.

Whether that can be further extended into more severe charges of economic damages due to striking workers is still an open question, but it definitely raises that possibility. That's a future issue though.

Thanks! Appreciate the clarification!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gaz-L posted:

If SAG and the DGA both strike as well, the studios are gonna have to deal, surely. They can't replace half the industry.

If they can get the full trifecta of WGA, SAG, and DGA that'd be optimal, and even just a WGA strike on its own is going to result in negotations eventually, but just getting 2 out of the 3 seems like it'd lead to a real quick deal, and whichever one doesn't strike is going to get all kinds of extra concessions in order to get them not to strike.

In a perfect world I'd love to see all 3 groups strike to force a really good result for all the unions and to get the strikes resolved quickly. I can't imagine a strike involving all 3 of them to go on for more than two weeks tops, and WGA + SAG feels like it'd be plenty severe enough to also force a strong labor result and a swift resolution. It'll be hilarious if SAG announces a strike and then new deals to end the WGA and SAG strikes are announced within 48 hours of that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Update on the Netflix executives compensation :allears:

https://twitter.com/WGAWest/status/1664404178326949889?s=20

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1664405140319920129?s=20

Hit 'em where it hurts

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 2, 2023

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1665250350654271488

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Makes sense since it's way harder to replace directors with AI.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
SAG, on the other hand... https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1665905582946017282

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yeah SAG-AFTRA, wish that the DGA had come along for the ride too.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It's habbening :woop: :woop:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah SAG-AFTRA, wish that the DGA had come along for the ride too.

They still might if their members vote against that "tentative" deal

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Happy Landfill posted:

It's habbening :woop: :woop:

They're not going to be able to make anything lmao

We can't do a sympathy strike but if we all happen to be separately negotiating welllllllllll

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SirKibbles posted:

They're not going to be able to make anything lmao

We can't do a sympathy strike but if we all happen to be separately negotiating welllllllllll

some guy in a suit desperately trying to trend the new season of Floor is Lava and the Hot Wheels gameshow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hollywood Reporter's been giving me an anti-strike vibe, but this piece is neat. Talks about the shifting role of showrunners and writers rooms, which has been covered, but also offers some commentary on the Director's Guild and such, and gossip about last minute rewrites and production issues on various shows.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hollywood Reporter's been giving me an anti-strike vibe,

of course they are. if nothing gets made, there's nothing for them to report on

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also interesting because it shows the friction where the DGA and WGA may not entirely be alligned: WGA want a return to the previous paradigm where the writer was king/queen of a TV show, and recent years have shifted some of that power to producers and (notably) directors.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SAG-AFTRA's strike may be delayed by a week for extended negotiations with AMPTP.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can SAG-AFTRA solidarity strike with the WGA? Like, can they negotiate a deal that both sides agree to, and then say "we'll sign this deal as soon as you have a deal with the writers in hand."?

Or is that like illegal for some reason

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can SAG-AFTRA solidarity strike with the WGA? Like, can they negotiate a deal that both sides agree to, and then say "we'll sign this deal as soon as you have a deal with the writers in hand."?

Or is that like illegal for some reason

Illegal under the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947. It's also illegal in the UK, Australia, and in some circumstances in Europe.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 29, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Posted this in one of the animation threads but the Disney Animation guild is collecting signatures to try and get Disney to the negotiating table if anyone wants to throw their names in there. This seems to be for production staff

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/support-unionized-workers-at-disney20th-tv-animation

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
From reading the article it sounds like the extension is mostly so the negotiators don't have to spend all day in the office on the 4th of loving July, but who the hell knows what happens after that. Would the union's membership have to abide by any sort of restrictions if they don't have an agreement by the 30th since they technically wouldn't have a contract anymore after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

From reading the article it sounds like the extension is mostly so the negotiators don't have to spend all day in the office on the 4th of loving July, but who the hell knows what happens after that. Would the union's membership have to abide by any sort of restrictions if they don't have an agreement by the 30th since they technically wouldn't have a contract anymore after that?

IANAL, but my experiences with labor negotiations like this is that yes, SAG-AFTRA members would still be under contract under the soon-to-be expiring deal. As you brought up, not much is going to be done on the 4th of July, so it's not like this matters long-term.