Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Frankly I'm amazed it took so long for this to kick in - I guess people figured the initial killing spree was a one-and-done so they were willing to give WB the benefit of the doubt?

I think when Disney and Paramount started doing it too the writing should have been on the wall across the industry that this was the new normal and your work continues to exist period at the whim of a CEO that could change at any time based on what some accountant's spreadsheet says at the end of the fiscal quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Frankly I'm amazed it took so long for this to kick in - I guess people figured the initial killing spree was a one-and-done so they were willing to give WB the benefit of the doubt?

It came up in another thread that Coyote vs. Acme was especially bad because it was truly pointless. Batgirl was at least rumored to be a mess in pre-screenings and a lot of other cancellations were niche projects that you could sort of justify or say that it wouldn't happen to your project. This was a project with a star attached to a strong IP (or lol if they managed to squander Looney Tunes) that apparently came in on-time and on-budget and was screening well. And they killed it. So that pissed a lot of creatives off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It came up in another thread that Coyote vs. Acme was especially bad because it was truly pointless. Batgirl was at least rumored to be a mess in pre-screenings and a lot of other cancellations were niche projects that you could sort of justify or say that it wouldn't happen to your project. This was a project with a star attached to a strong IP (or lol if they managed to squander Looney Tunes) that apparently came in on-time and on-budget and was screening well. And they killed it. So that pissed a lot of creatives off.

Not just "screening well" but like people were coming away raving about. The people in test screenings loving loved it.

But nah, gently caress that. I need $30 mil.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

I think when Disney and Paramount started doing it too the writing should have been on the wall across the industry that this was the new normal and your work continues to exist period at the whim of a CEO that could change at any time based on what some accountant's spreadsheet says at the end of the fiscal quarter.

When did paramount shelve a finished unreleased project?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Emma Stone is having a loving ball doing all this promotion for The Curse. I know part of it is me being convinced by her brand and stuff, but it still makes me like her a lot.

fart blood posted:

When did paramount shelve a finished unreleased project?

Spiderwick*, and I think the second season of Star Trek: Prodigy was fully completed before being shelved and then subsequently saved by Netflix. I swear there was something else as well though.

*nope, whoops. It was scrapped at Disney, and I think it's heading to Paramount now?

Edit: Oh, and A Murder At The End Of The World was originally a completed Showtime production called The Retreat before it was sold off to Disney (F/X). I assume if it hadn't been sold it would also have vanished.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Canceling a TV show and not airing completed episodes isn't something that was invented in 2023.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Isn't there a finished season of Snow Piercer someone is sitting on for tax cheating?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Isn't there a finished season of Snow Piercer someone is sitting on for tax cheating?

Yeah it probably would have happened with the most recent season of Miracle Workers too but they messed up and accidentally released the first episode.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Canceling a TV show and not airing completed episodes isn't something that was invented in 2023.

Most of the time they don't cancel a show that's already filmed an entire season that hasn't aired yet. Also there's the recent trend of unreleasing shows and movies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Emma Stone is having a loving ball doing all this promotion for The Curse. I know part of it is me being convinced by her brand and stuff, but it still makes me like her a lot.

Spiderwick*, and I think the second season of Star Trek: Prodigy was fully completed before being shelved and then subsequently saved by Netflix. I swear there was something else as well though.

I remember Spiderwick was kind of eyebrow-raising because they changed the ethnicities of the main characters to minorities so it looked really weird.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They did that accidental showing thing with Killin It and I am glad. Honestly surprised there's nobody who just dumps a copy online somewhere. Maybe they have surprisingly good cybersecurity so nobody gets a peek at their shady algorithms and data gathering, plus biggest buyers in on anti piracy grifts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, back in the day you'd maybe shelve the last 2-3 episodes of a season (or more likely, burn them off in the summer or a death slot) and just not pick up a show for the back 9. Shooting an entire season and just chucking it in a lake is definitely new for the 2020s.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, back in the day you'd maybe shelve the last 2-3 episodes of a season (or more likely, burn them off in the summer or a death slot) and just not pick up a show for the back 9. Shooting an entire season and just chucking it in a lake is definitely new for the 2020s.

I mean, sometimes, but something like Wonderfalls in 2004, they filmed 13 episodes, aired four, and threw the rest into a lake. It happened.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Firefly have some unreleased episodes, or were those just scripts?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, but only a few. 11/14 produced episodes aired.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean, sometimes, but something like Wonderfalls in 2004, they filmed 13 episodes, aired four, and threw the rest into a lake. It happened.

Yes but they aired it, which also led to international sales to distributors and a DVD release.
The modern 'set fire to it before seeing light of day' tactic means that isn't even an option.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah the 2000s version was you'd hold something back and then, suddenly, you have extra spice to sell the DVDs. Then different studios stopped wanting to do that before this pre-emptive binning.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Though-out TV history they’d do ‘movies of the week’ on summer nights when nobody watched tv and they’d show all kinds of crap they bought and didn’t want to use.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Remulak posted:

Though-out TV history they’d do ‘movies of the week’ on summer nights when nobody watched tv and they’d show all kinds of crap they bought and didn’t want to use.

SyFy Channel used to do that all the time in the 00s and 10s. They'd dump all the pilots they'd commissioned and then passed on for series on Friday or Saturday nights as TV movies or miniseries.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Soonmot posted:

Did Firefly ever actually air the FIRST episode of the show?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I worked on Nautilus (Captain Nemo adaptation) in 2022 and Disney canned that about three months ago. 10 month shoot, $200m budget, the sets are absolutely mind blowing it looks stunning. All just chucked in the bin. Sure I still got paid for everything, but to say it's disheartening is an understatement.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

tanglewood1420 posted:

I worked on Nautilus (Captain Nemo adaptation) in 2022 and Disney canned that about three months ago. 10 month shoot, $200m budget, the sets are absolutely mind blowing it looks stunning. All just chucked in the bin. Sure I still got paid for everything, but to say it's disheartening is an understatement.

That sucks. Are you still able to put this on a resume?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Still loving sucks obviously but didn't it get picked up by another ... I don't know what we even call them anymore? Station? Channel? Service?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

But have you considered that somehow, somewhere, a line is going up for the shareholders this quarter?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

That’s wild, I’ve never heard of something so high budget not even getting a release.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Jerusalem posted:

Still loving sucks obviously but didn't it get picked up by another ... I don't know what we even call them anymore? Station? Channel? Service?

There's talk of AMC picking it up in the US, but afaik it's not a done deal despite what you may read in the trades. Also no word on international distribution.

External Organs posted:

That sucks. Are you still able to put this on a resume?

It won't go on my IMDB if it doesn't get a release but I'll still put it on my CV. If only to explain what the gently caress I was doing in 2022 lol.

The community is small enough that everyone mostly knows who worked on which shows anyway. CVs are kinda redundant in the film industry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That sucks, sorry tangleweed, hoping it gets a release.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

That, I remember, they did, it was just out of order, with the third episode or whatever the Train Job one airing first. I have the dvds, but drat if I'm getting out of bed to check lol

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The fact that entire tv shows get shelved tells me that streaming is a gigantic money loser and no one knows how to generate profit and viewership from it and studios are terrified investors will find out and collapse the whole thing

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

fart blood posted:

The fact that entire tv shows get shelved tells me that streaming is a gigantic money loser and no one knows how to generate profit and viewership from it and studios are terrified investors will find out and collapse the whole thing

You'll notice that after the studios caved for everything else, WGA and SAG-AFTRA still can't look directly at the money streaming generates. Which definitely points in that direction

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And considering that’s getting into “potentially looking at decades in federal prison” territory, it’s no wonder they’re being cagier than a rabid jackal about it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

You'll notice that after the studios caved for everything else, WGA and SAG-AFTRA still can't look directly at the money streaming generates. Which definitely points in that direction

Yeah, that was one of the two fulcrums the strikes hinged on. WGA and SAG-AFTRA were like "we're terrified you're going to replace us all with AI" and AMPTP was like "we're terrified of actually revealing the data behind streaming" and were willing to give up basically everything to keep the inside baseball nerd numbers secret.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Last.

They aired it last.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:cripes:

My understanding is that they aired the train heist episode first because the studio wanted an "action" episode, but you know, very few people care about action if it's just a bunch of strangers doing things with zero context! Weird, huh?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The pilot had tons of action, too, is what gets me about that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1725900140781703168?s=46

If this is the news coming from the new deal, then gently caress that go back to the drawing board

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
While he characterized Bateman as being “justly cautious about the future,” he also insisted that the deal’s rules around AI were “the most that could be achieved with a 118-day strike.”

Well then looks like you need a longer strike!? The language around the AI stuff is so goddamn weaselly that the AMTP essentially gets to do whatever they want with only the most nominal compensation and consent from workers. I'm not sure what even is meant to be the difference between now and after the deal, it's a sucker's contract.

They absolutely need to go back to the table and get a real deal with real terms that actually put some chains on AMTPs AI probing hands.

Because next time actors want to strike, they'll load up scab.exe and produce shows uninterrupted without a single thought towards the obsolete non-digital humans.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s in the guild’s voters’ hands now. Hopefully they do the right thing.

I wonder if Crabtree and Drescher basically knew this would happen and would rather let the actors vote no then deal with studio bullshit again. But that would defy Occam’s Razor a bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I figure they were probably exhausted and probably legitimately the least completely terrible deal they've had yet, but it's still completely terrible nonetheless. The AMTP and execs were laughing off the strike, they didn't really suffer any consequences or feel that much pressure.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have compassion for all the folks affected, but at thi point, gently caress it, just torpedo the entire 2024 entertainment calender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I figure they were probably exhausted and probably legitimately the least completely terrible deal they've had yet, but it's still completely terrible nonetheless. The AMTP and execs were laughing off the strike, they didn't really suffer any consequences or feel that much pressure.

They were laughing publicly but privately they were running out of content that was in the can. They weren’t spending money on new content but a model like that is completely unsustainable and they knew that and so did the shareholders.