Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Appreciate the Late Night hosts stopping their shows in support. That's good poo poo right there.

I hope they get everything they're demanding. In fact, I hope they get more.

It's not strictly 'in support', although I'm sure folks like Meyers would do so. Just because those shows aren't fiction doesn't mean they don't have writers. With the guild on strike, the shows can't get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Sarandos was bragging that Netflix can source content from outside the US to plug gaps, so I'd actually doubt it'll be them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also isn't Neil just boosting a post by Diane Duane?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, some of the wider pay stuff in the proposal vs offer sheet Conover posted is what you'd expect: Union says one figure, management says a lower number, in theory you can meet somewhere in the middle. But a ton of the points were either 'management refused and won't offer alternative' or poo poo like that AI thing where it may as well be saying no and not offering any alternative.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was a really good thread I saw that linked this whole situation pretty directly to the 'infinite growth' grift of late stage capitalism.

Here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1653280876753719296.html

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Argyle posted:

No but Rob Lowe made eye contact with me in the picket line so that's something

LITERALLY the coolest thing that could have happened

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
SAG/DGA and WGA all striking would basically put them over a barrel. I'm not sure how US labour law works, would there be room for joint negotiation if one of the other unions strike, over the shared concerns?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, my first thought when I saw they were pulling basically new shows was the residuals thing. It's doing anything they can to not have to say "we were 0.00000001% less profitable this quarter" to shareholders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
George, the strike doesn't mean you can't write novels!

j/k that's really cool

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If SAG and the DGA both strike as well, the studios are gonna have to deal, surely. They can't replace half the industry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also interesting because it shows the friction where the DGA and WGA may not entirely be alligned: WGA want a return to the previous paradigm where the writer was king/queen of a TV show, and recent years have shifted some of that power to producers and (notably) directors.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gotta love the classic anti-union language also: "There’s a strong feeling that a militant minority in the union is having outsize influence on the negotiating strategy, with no regard to the heavy toll that a strike would take on actors as well as other unions and myriad businesses that bank on production-related work. "

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Here's an interesting response. Basically in the hyper late-stage capitalism world they've created, they literally can't afford to let things go on long enough:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1678960256586776576

Could you copy/paste for those of us who refuse to sign up for the bird site?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's the insane thing in these. The CEOs could take like a 70% pay cut, fund literally all the financial demands for this and probably the next 3 negotiations, and STILL be making an inhuman amount of money that no one person could spend in a lifetime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Also, what happens if a writer/actor continues to work when they should be striking? Do you get fined or disbarred from the union/guild or something?

As noted above, basically yes, but there is the small chance for certain independent productions that don't fall under the AMPTP to be OK for people to work for as long as they meet the unions' conditions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the thing is gonna turn out that the studios/streamers REALLY don't want to have to do real residuals for streaming because it'll cause the whole house of cards to collapse. The only sane way to do it is something like x$ per 1k views or something and if it turns out that results in peanuts because fewer people watch some shows than they claim, the whole smokescreen falls apart.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

From the outside, we're just seeing PR campaigns from both sides. We don't know what the actual sticking points are, because everybody has incentives to make a lot of noise about issues that they may or may not care about.

Basically, nobody is seeing any residuals from streaming. Your show or movie can be sold to Netflix as a writer or actor, and it can be the biggest hit in history or a complete flop, and either way you're not getting paid. That's a huge departure from compensation as it's traditionally worked, and if things stay that way it's a huge hit to writers and actors' wallets. That's probably the real sticking point: are we moving to a new paradigm where because everything is on streaming, residuals basically stop existing?

I suspect that the AI stuff is mostly a smokescreen that writers and actors will drop substantially if the AMPTP comes to the table with money for streaming. I don't know. But you can't really take what either side is saying at face value, they're negotiating and trying to dig in on multiple issues so they can strategically give stuff up when they negotiate later.

It's partly why the AMPTP's resistance to higher base pay seems very odd to me. I mean obviously management are scum who never want to actually have to pay people more, especially when keeping pay flat lets them TECHNICALLY not cut pay while basically cutting it in real terms, but higher base rates as a means to mitigate the residuals issue to some extent, maybe with a provision for a minimum residual level for streaming with an arbitrarily high barrier before you get a higher amount seems like an obvious proposal to make.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they also got bit by the fact that vertical integration actually has drawbacks when the marketplace is saturated. You need to pay for the infrastructure and, in this case, for the content, rather than just licencing out your stuff for an easy payday (albeit maybe a smaller one than you'd like). Like, the market probably CAN sustain a couple of players in the general entertainment streaming market, but not the 7-10 players that are trying to play in that space, and no-one wants to be the first to back down because what if the other guys blink first and you get to be Connor MacLeod, winning The Prize at the end when There Is Only One.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Awful convenient that they happened to get to these trees right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

All current A24 productions are strike complaint. Remember, Disney and MAX can't comply with Union demands because it's too expensive

A24, a studio that only produces niche indie films: :shrug:

https://www.polygon.com/23800547/sag-actors-strike-the-chosen-a24-approved-filming

Also that one Kickstarter Jesus show that the CW picked up for some reason recently.

Timby posted:

Solidarity forever, for the union makes us strong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also depressingly predictable that the AMPTP's position seems to basically be 'gosh, the residual model and 6 month writer room contracts are so outdated' but also they won't budge on restructuring the contract in such a way where writers can make a decent amount without those things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, the strike vote was made well before the deadline but the strike technically could've been called off right up until midnight on the 13th, so that's kind of a lovely standard to try and pull. You can't just stop looking for work for a month because a strike 'might' happen. Like, would you hold literally any other industry to that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I had a quick sensible chuckle at "Whitesell"

You could conservatively cover ALL of the WGA, DGA and SAG financial demands over the next contract term on JUST Zaslav's pay from that period. And still leave him at ~$10M a year

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if you told me it was political I'd nod and shrug. And if it inspires other actors with millions to burn then hey, go with God.

Is it somehow aiding Xenu and that's why Cruise didn't do it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

If that happens, it won't matter that he donated the least. He'll be able to take credit for all of it.

He'll be able to say...

It doesn't matter what they did?

*Won't Get Fooled Again guitar lick*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also extremely douchey because they have to know having such work be at least covered by the union is part of the issue causing the strike.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Do you have some rough math for that because, besides the ~$500m salary itself, it would help me convince a friend that this strike is a good thing

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...m_medium=social

I've heard conflicting things about whether it's $450M per year or for the duration of the contract (the latter is what my earlier post was about) but honestly it doesn't effect the maths that much if you factor the other execs in.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

I get the feeling a lot of these guys believe that being CEO of Warner/Disney/Paramount entitles them to a certain admiration by default that other CEO's don't get. Which yeah, I probably hate them less than whoever's in charge of Exxon Mobil right now but who respects the guys at the top of Disney after Walt died?

*shudders* Respecting Michael Eisner, disgusting...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

That's really good, thank you!

Also remember that includes the already settled DGA deal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Defunctland on the post-Snow White wrap party is genuinely fascinating

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

"Hey boss where's that bonus you promised us? It went to this resort weekend in loving Norco? Well at least it's open bar"

Hotel staff three hours later:
:tif:

It has one of my favourite jokes Perjurer's put into one of his videos:

"Had the animators been accustomed to working in tandem with women, in theory there would've been less harassment.

This theory was soon disproven... every day for the past 80 years."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

edit: I wonder if he is just mad because his show is on the bubble and thought he'd get to advertise it?
It is 1000% him being butthurt that he can't do promotion for Heels given his very stupid attempts to sidestep it by posting photos of the advertising with #blessed nothing statements.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it had been domestic violence they 100% would've mentioned him hitting her explicitly. The way it's worded is weaselly to make it sound like that's what happened without actually opening themselves up to libel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"I don't support striking, I don't. I think that it is a reductive negotiating tactic and I find the entire thing incredibly frustrating." isn't something that can be 'taken out of context'. Like, it means what it means. And hey, if Amell is one of the few members who voted against striking, he has the right to his opinion (I'm gonna bet he abstained, though). But it's an opinion he should probably keep to himself about until the strike's done.

The final part, yes, I get the fear of the show being cancelled and impacting crew as well as cast, but like... if I recall, the show wasn't a barnstormer in the ratings. I'm not sure him going on Drew Barrymore would make that big a difference.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness I think she was trying to play nice as the DGA had just agreed a deal, so she was trying to do the 'hey, AMPTP, we can be reasonable, how about we compromise and work some stuff out, boo?' thing and then when the AMPTP basically said 'nah' and refused to budge on any of the key issues she went to war footing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

In this version, Fran drags Maxwell out of his house and into the street where an angry mob beats him to death for being a rich rear end AMPTP member.

One of those crushing scenes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

'didn't vote yes'

So he loving abstained

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

A lot of people abstained. While SAG-AFTRA likes to trumpet that the strike authorization vote was 97 percent in favor, only 47.6 percent of membership actually voted.

But, yes, Amell is a dick.

Oh I know, but I just find it rich that he didn't even care enough to vote against it but now it inconveniences him he's vocal about opposing it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I loving hate the stock market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

koolkal posted:

Yeah, they expected to lose subscribers this quarter for this reason and said so already.

Oh, right, now I get it.

But didn't they keep Discovery + around? So surely there's at least some people subscribing to JUST that?