Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

Gotta love the classic anti-union language also: "There’s a strong feeling that a militant minority in the union is having outsize influence on the negotiating strategy, with no regard to the heavy toll that a strike would take on actors as well as other unions and myriad businesses that bank on production-related work. "

"Outside agitators"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
"Just starve em out" seems like the least viable option and if successful would create even bigger problems in the near future and significantly larger problems in the far future

However if there's one thing billionaires hate more than organized labor, it's that one loving can in the middle of the road. They just gotta keep kicking it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ccs posted:

Someone sent me this article saying it says that the writers strike fund is out of money but I can’t find any evidence in the text that this is the case. I replied where does it say that and they told me to read it closely and that maybe I have a reading comprehension problem.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/entertainment-community-fund-financial-assistance-400-people-wga-strike-1235381313/

If I had to guess they saw the part about the WGA taking 2 mil in donations and thought "They must be desperate if they're asking non-writers for money" Though no actual correlation exists

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Handsome Ralph posted:

Idk if I'd say praising was the prevailing attitude but more "oh cool, this guy is an rear end in a top hat but he's going after an even bigger rear end in a top hat (DeSantis)" kind of vibe.

And that he was slightly better about paying employees fairly than Chapek

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right it was the Park People who were really thankful he was back, yeah.

Yeah if you watch Tasting History with Max Miller he has a whole video about why he worked 20 years in Disneyland kitchens but he's not going back after Chapek

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I see we're in the "Look I know you hate me but think of the economy :qq:" phase of labor negotiations

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

"Motherfucker I got no money coming in and nothing to do with my time, you think I won't fight you for a couple million in defamation fees?"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Regalingualius posted:

Though wouldn’t that then put them in “actual felony fraud” territory? At least under the assumption that they’d be knowingly bullshitting investors.

All the more reason to dig their heels on hiding viewership data. Getting the books forced open might lead to billion dollar lawsuits

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Timby posted:

I think the core thing here is that everyone played follow-the-leader in chasing Netflix in the content-spending arms race, but when you spend $20 million an episode on House of the Dragon or $15 million an episode of The Mandalorian, you aren't going to generate nearly enough revenue from new subscriptions to offset those expenses.

Yeah the smart thing would have been to leave it to Netflix with 1 or 2 major competitors to keep things interesting, but a frequent side-effect of modern capitalism is entire industries marching off a cliff because the first guy who jumped must have been on to something

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Openly vandalizing public property and potentially facing massive fines to own the libs

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

From now on every time WB/Discovery is in the news for financial woes I'm going to think of that Dril tweet about candles

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

https://theintercept.com/2023/07/25/strike-hollywood-ai-disney-netflix/
Neflix offering 900K for an AI product manager.

Pulling a Lionel Hutz and altering their card from "No AI jobs" to "No, AI jobs!"

That's still too little for what would ultimately be a showrunner/executive producer who came at it from a different background

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

LividLiquid posted:

Granted, I'm only going by memory and anecdotal evidence here, but the last strike seemed to have a hell of a lot more "those greedy fucks" going toward the artists than the executives where said sentiment belonged, and the fact that this has changed so dramatically in the intervening years feels like a hell of a good sign that a labor rights movement could actually claw back a lot of the damage done since Reagan killed unions dead.

Feels like people are just waiting for somebody to ask them to join up.

I feel like there's two factors:

1- This strike is a lot easier to explain. For most people in 2008 the vibe for the WGA strike was "I dunno something about the internet" Now that everyone streams stuff it's easier to break down how Netflix isn't paying them enough

2- Even with glowing interviews by mainstream entertainment news sources, most studio execs are coming across as loving vampires to the average person

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen it said some places that executives aren't used to this sort of thing being so public and they were sort of vaguely counting on societal pressure to get those greedy writers and artists back to work and that's just not happening to any great extent.

I get the feeling a lot of these guys believe that being CEO of Warner/Disney/Paramount entitles them to a certain admiration by default that other CEO's don't get. Which yeah, I probably hate them less than whoever's in charge of Exxon Mobil right now but who respects the guys at the top of Disney after Walt died?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

feedmyleg posted:

You probably shouldn't dip your toes into Disney-related YouTube media.

I watch Defunctland, that's enough :colbert:

Then again people have tried to argue to me that Kevin is too harsh on Eisner but I've never heard a convincing convincing argument about it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

The Defunctland on the post-Snow White wrap party is genuinely fascinating

"Hey boss where's that bonus you promised us? It went to this resort weekend in loving Norco? Well at least it's open bar"

Hotel staff three hours later:
:tif:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AMC intervening to help increase profit margins on streaming services seems uh... Counterproductive to their economic self-interest.

Yeah I know, capital always unites against organized labor but movie studios and movie theaters have spent the past century in a "Mortal enemies inexplicably handcuffed to each other" kinda dynamic

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Amell has a long history of being an absolute shitbag on social media so I'm more surprised he had a moment of clarity and tried to delete the posts

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more Amells so far. There's a lot of lovely people with big egos in Hollywood who are addicted to attention. You'd think a SAG-AFTRA strike would be rife with folks looking to scab out because they just can't loving help it, but the solidarity so far has been extremely impressive.

gently caress Stephen Amell though.

It says a lot about how dire pre-strike conditions are

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vegetable posted:

Is there history of WGA or SAG-AFTRA scabs losing work afterwards? It seems like at least the studios would be more than happy to hire them.

Powers Boothe did it in the 1980 strike, it didn't tank his career nor did he lose his SAG card but those were a lot more forgivable circumstances

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tree Reformat posted:

it means youtube personalities should probably form their own union

Unfortunately most of them fully buy into the "Be your own producer/Sigma Grindset" poo poo so it's gonna take a while to convince them they should

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pillowpants posted:

Mr beast is the most popular influencer on YouTube and his best friend is openly trans - who he defends. I learned this th either day

I learned about both those things a couple months ago when the chuddier youtubers squawked about it

EDIT:

muscles like this! posted:

There was the time he tried to get his followers (who are mostly children) to do work for him for free by telling them to go to stores and clean up the displays for his candy bars.

And his Doordash exclusive series of burger joints are a gigantic scam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Island Nation posted:

That was a plot point in the first Futurama Hulu episode.

How has advertisers not complained about this? I don't get how it works

Despite being the core pillar of a lot of modern digital infrastructure, advertisement runs on what is ultimately little more than faith and vibes. They're used to results being intangible and unfocused.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Aprops of nothing, I looked up a plot synopsis of that Crater movie Disney pulled a while back just to see what that was about, and apparently the ending to that movie involves a successful strike action to demand better working conditions from some comically evil conglomerate.

They've pulled a lot of new (as in less than a year old) movies and shows off the service in the past few months and pretty much everyone involved with their creation seems to think it's retaliation

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

(This was, admittedly, a view held primarily by Disney Park Habitués - like the ones who go every day - who felt his predecessor neglected them or something.)

Chapek really did make the parks worse and charged considerably more for services at every level so it's a valid criticism, Iger just sucks in a lot of different ways.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinterest Mom posted:

(He still isn't allowed to perform duties as a writer, though there are some grey areas that the DGA considers directorial and the WGA considers writing.)

Also WGA writers get a lot more leeway in "Promoting" struck shows on social media because if you're a showrunner and a fan asks you for clarification on a plot point/character background any question left unanswered is gonna be answered by some fuckwit "IP manager" from the studio, and that's bad for writers who want to retain control over their creations.

If you follow Neil Gaiman on tumblr he goes into it a few times when people ask him stuff about Good Omens.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I could believe either:

1- Netflix, being founded and run by techbro capitalists is going to be the worst about labor every time

2- Netflix has often been derided by hollywood insiders who view them as barbarians kicking open the gates of their eternal city, which creates friction within the AMPTP that can be exploited

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

This just confirms that Bob Iger and David Zaslav are two of the stupidest people on the planet if they're stunned by the realization that people see them as hideous ogres.

Now he'll have to club us and eat our bones :ohdear:

I'll admit, I feel like a switch got pulled sometime recently (Probably something to do with the pandemic) and most of America went from "Unions slow everything down" to "Solidarity Forever" overnight. That was easy for me to notice on the ground, but billionaires can go years and sometimes decades without having a complete conversation with someone either not also a billionaire or on their payroll. They don't notice this poo poo until it's right in their faces.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm the 1% who sides equally with both workers and employers

Also I'm surprised that support for the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strike is so high given that half the country thinks that hollywood actors and writers crack open baby skulls to shoot up the goo inside

25% is closer to the number of people who believe that. "Half" is a measure of their political influence within this country because of our flawed democracy

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bloody Pom posted:

:sickos:

Pretty sure the VAs you hear in everything, such as Steve Blum, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal etc are all union actors.

With how much has come out about the industry recently, I'm fully expecting to find out Yuri Lowenthal got paid more by a retired hillbilly english teacher for half an hour of work on a podcast than Insomniac for 2 and a half AAA video games as Spider-Man

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Very few strikes and work stoppages are ever *Just* about money from the labor side either. Not having to literally die for the job is usually the biggest motivator

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Khanstant posted:

He knows they want that, therefore it's a valuable resource for him to control.

One does not truly control a resource if you cannot destroy it. Hence the modern streaming landscape

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Fox boss states the strike has to be settled by 10/1 to save the broadcast season.

As some one who remembers losing the '94 world series, burn motherfucker burn!

Is the plan still "Starve em out and they'll vote for anything"?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Nucleic Acids posted:

I’m sure the IATSE people working his show love being used as human shields for his greed.

I'm sure he'll shrug and say "no one wants to work anymore" when he finds out half his backstage staff aren't there anymore

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I feel like Bill Maher is enough of a shitbag that any attempt to shame him into not scabbing will just lead to him ranting about entitled children trying to cancel him

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
EDIT: ^^^^^ My guess is someone vital to maintaining the stage told him they're not crossing picket lines

fart blood posted:

I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.

I could also believe Zaslav et al are going around telling people "I got em where I want em, we'll get back to work next week :smug:" And he'll be the only one surprised when they turn him down

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 18, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Considering it's the AMPTP that says it's "Encouraging" I'm not holding my breath

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

fart blood posted:

Probably not. Directors just don’t give much of a poo poo about this stuff as much as writers and actors do.

Yeah I'm not saying all directors like the part where they order peasants to make art for them more than the money and would do it for free if they could, but a clear majority do otherwise we'd have a triple strike

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Khanstant posted:

Was this just like filming strangers in public kinda b-roll? Interesting to know it's covered by the unions, I think I kind of assumed most people in b-roll didn't necessarily even know they were being filmed for it but fair game in public for the most part, aside from legal permits. Glad the unions were able to stop Netflix trying to sneak in some work.

Usually there's a big sign that says "FILM PRODUCTION IN PROGRESS. IF YOU GO PAST THIS SIGN YOU CONSENT TO BE FILMED" When studios need public area b-roll. I get the feeling this is what happens when they don't put up the sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinterest Mom posted:

They're striking against AMPTP members. They're not supposed to do work that's for AMPTP companies, or work that would be covered by the TV/movie contract. But filming a promo for the NHL or something, that's not an AMPTP company and it's not covered by the contract. The SAG-AFTRA commercials contract is still in effect.

See also the IATSE strike and sports coverage which continued uninterrupted