Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Apparently only 19 days left of filming, so not that big of an impact.

Because tech companies are bad at making media, plain and simple. For Rings of Power, they fielded pitches for their very expensive license and picked the one they liked the most. By all accounts, it was the best idea of the bunch, and a clever take on the limited rights they had access to. So they moved forward with it regardless of the talent involved, regardless of who the guys who came up with the idea were. And then they just let them make a show they were wildly unqualified to make. It probably sounded like a good idea because Peter Jackson wasn't a AAA director either. They missed the part where he was an incredibly talented and capable director beforehand, though.

I'd have to go digging for the tweets and Google's not helping, but I remember that supposedly all the Amazon people also put in an absurd amount of notes for each scene. Something like a short minute scene having hundreds of notes they had to thumb through from idiot producers who had opinions about props, lighting, reads, etc. They said at some point they just stopped reviewing and fighting because how can you deal with that kind of micro management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's buried a little bit under the calls for fair pay (understandably) but the transparency issue has also come up, like Tony Gilroy said in the interview posted last page, so much of the streaming viewership is hidden information that it's hard to even start throwing out fair numbers for compensation or even know what your audience is.

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, they really don't want to reveal streaming numbers and I think that's incredibly telling

Yeah, comedy option is that streaming numbers are still super cooked.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
AI on the SAG side is probably getting play because it's viscerally awful and plays well with people. But it's also looking like the studios are serious about using it to replace a bunch of low-level actors in the near future and trying to cut filming days, so they probably do need to actually get out ahead of it. Otherwise they'll be stuck with another streaming residuals situation where the AI rules are super out of date.

AI on the writers' side is a more practical concern because it ties in with all their other concerns about jobs getting cut and writer's rooms getting shrunk.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, not sure about the network but I Heart Radio got caught bumping their numbers.

https://gizmodo.com/podcasts-iheart-downloads-adware-auto-download-1849586288

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Because of Hollywood production times and schedules, plus the ability to create non-union or non-striking union (including internationally) products, a lot of the pain is in the relatively distant future. So the bosses can just put things off for a while on the hope that they can rush production to fill in the gap caused by the strike, or have enough back log just to wait 'em out. Fortunately, actors are actually important to the promotion of the shows and movies unlike writers so there's some more immediate pain coming down the pike.

Yeah, I kind of wonder if part of the studios' "strong" hand right now is that they're basically already hosed for the fall. Ad sales and the lineup are probably beyond saving and they probably figure that they have a little time before spring is ruined too so they might as well play hardball while they pull ripcords on their emergency plans for content.

But it also seems like a terrible play, since most of the streaming services are one bad quarter away from a bloodbath (Netflix just turned things around after all and HBOMax is theoretically still trying to pull out of a tailspin) and network TV is already struggling and probably doesn't need to give a chance for people to get out of the habit of watching it. I know the one anonymous exec said that Wall Street was behind them, but I think they might find that support to be a lot softer than they think once numbers start coming in.

LividLiquid posted:

Yup. The studios are beholden to stockholders. What happens to your stock when you don't have products to sell?

They've got the studios by the balls here. Not the other way around. And it's not like the old days where everybody was living high on the hog, comparably speaking, to the rest of us. Most actors and writers make less than a waiter right now. They can keep striking and probably make more.

You can't wait out people who don't actually need you to survive anymore because you got so greedy that you pay less than waiting tables.

Yeah, this was the one bit about the "make 'em homeless" strategy. I know it made for a good villain speech to feed to the press and apply pressure, but my understanding is that the people without savings were already looking into jobs. That interview from the guy who wrote for The Bear ended with a note that he was looking into work as a theater usher to ride out the strike. The practical effort wouldn't necessarily be the strike ending. It'd just be fewer people on the picket line. Which would sap momentum but it wouldn't necessarily kill the strike.

And also, like you said, a lot of the articles in the run-up to the strike noted that writers largely felt burnt out and for a lot of them it was a case of getting a better deal or just quitting.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 21, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

teen witch posted:

Iirc COVID also hosed over GLOW as well, which I can totally see, though I don’t think Netflix’s weird “People like this show? Axe it” thing.

Saw nothing but praise for Tuca and Bertie and that show got cancelled real fuckin quick (and then renewed for two seasons at adult swim impressively enough).

There’s a reason why streaming services are cagey with their numbers and boy, the longer it goes on, the more suspicious it seems.

Tuca and Bertie is one of the ones that I'd love transparency on, because I'm pretty sure that what happened is that they really pushed it onto Bojack Horseman viewers, who tried the show out and often didn't like it (since it has a very different vibe) and didn't finish it. Starting a show and not finishing it is the one known black mark, worse than just not having their view in the first place.

But yeah, Cowboy Bebop is another one since it begs the question of what it actually means to be the #1 trending show. Is it all just smoke and mirrors anyway?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I'd be really curious to see how public opinion of the strike is over in more rural areas. I'm too close to this poo poo. I live in LA and have a variety of friends in the WGA/SAG, so everything I see on social media is intensely pro-strike, pro-solidarity, anti-studio. But like... if you asked some rando in Iowa or Alabama or Kansas what they thought of this, I wonder how things would fall. Because, generally speaking, it feels like not many people are vibing with the studios' messaging. But again, my perspective in insanely skewed.

It does help a bit this time, at least from the few random people I've talked to, that it's a little easier to boil down. They're making less episodes now so effectively everyone got a pay cut. Older people are very aware and usually already annoyed at having less episodes each season so it's a quick hit. They make less off of streaming while streaming (theoretically) makes a lot of money. Also they're worried about AI putting them out of work because the studios would be thrilled to churn out cheap, bad shows.

It feels like the "they want to record actors and just use an AI version and never pay extras again" gets a visceral reaction too. A lot of the stuff this strike is much easier to understand even without reading about how the industry works.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Putting previously streaming content on broadcast seems like a wildcard in the studios favor?

Depends. The Ms. Marvel thing seems weird and may just legitimately be to try and get more people invested before the movie comes out. I can't imagine it will be too much of a difference for Yellowstone either, since it already ran the 1st season on broadcast before, just cable rather than CBS. It's got more buzz so it might pick up people who were interested enough to check it out but not interested enough to do a Paramount+ trial. Not sure how big that group is.

Strange New Worlds seems to be the only standout, but I'm biased since it might be the only one I'd bother to watch since I don't have Paramount+ and I've been too behind to bother getting it.

They did this last strike with airing premium cable on network and it didn't seem to make much of an impact from what I remember. It was nice for my teen self to watch a heavily censored version of Dexter's first season, I guess. Which is the other problem that they usually have to censor shows for broadcast. The promo run of The Good Fight back when they did it was at least funny, where they'd cut away from a sex scene and just overlay "Hey, this is too explicit for broadcast, but if you want to see it, get Paramount+." Guess it wouldn't matter for Star Trek. Not sure how much swearing there is in Yellowstone.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's not really relevant to the strike, but I enjoyed an article discussing Suits blowing up big with younger viewers once it was on streaming. And the recurring note was "Yeah, we used to just have a ton of these. Suits was pretty middling in the bunch even." USA/TNT/TBS/SciFi would churn out 13-22 episodes of some quirky character shows to fill out schedules and carry the summer. Then cable just cut everything with the move to streaming, but it turns out people still kind of like longer, drawn out fluff along with the premium stuff.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if they're really going to blow another season of TV because they think that AI Mark Hamill is a future worth fighting for. It was interesting, even the Entertainment News tonight took a tone of "These studios are making you guys wait another year to answer the Young Sheldon cliffhanger because they really want to just use digital actors for everything and never pay anyone again."

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Frankly I'm amazed it took so long for this to kick in - I guess people figured the initial killing spree was a one-and-done so they were willing to give WB the benefit of the doubt?

It came up in another thread that Coyote vs. Acme was especially bad because it was truly pointless. Batgirl was at least rumored to be a mess in pre-screenings and a lot of other cancellations were niche projects that you could sort of justify or say that it wouldn't happen to your project. This was a project with a star attached to a strong IP (or lol if they managed to squander Looney Tunes) that apparently came in on-time and on-budget and was screening well. And they killed it. So that pissed a lot of creatives off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

This seems to be the crux of the concern raised by the article but like... can they not do that already. There's nothing in the rulebook that says a studio can't use CGI to change your hair or makeup or clothing in post right now.

I think from reading the tweet thread the specific fear was that they could do things like decide your character would look better if they were smiling more, if they were posed differently or if they read the line just a little happier, and hey let's let the AI punch it up and see.

I mean, basically unironically the Tim and Eric Bedtime Stories about the watch ad. I think. They could gently caress up your line read or acting and ruin your chance of using the footage/reference for other roles. Or just get seen as a bad actor through no fault of your own. At least if you're talking to a tennis ball on a stick you have some idea of what you're doing.