Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My job is about to shut down and I hope I can get by on unemployment. Good luck to the writers but this sucks. Hopefully they find quick success and my union is inspired enough to go for bigger pay raises so we aren’t falling behind actual cost of living increases every year. Just kidding, that won’t happen.

:smith: sorry, just panicking a little here right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

seaborgium posted:

Based on stories I've seen on twitter, a lot of the Teamsters are contractually protected if they decide not to cross a picket. And they do take advantage of that because lets be honest, nothing better than getting paid to sit around all day.

To the best of my knowledge the teamsters affected by the strike get paid as soon as they leave their homes so they get paid no matter what happens. Most of the other unions don’t have contracts like that and if you choose not to cross a line you don’t start your day and might not get paid.

There’s a lot of dubious behavior going on these days regarding line crossing, I won’t get into it that much but it’s a drag.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tree Reformat posted:

I'd settle for the complete collapse of the US entertainment industry.

:( I have no other marketable skills though?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah their data must be insane. They know where people give up on shows, when they rewind scenes, when they rewatch episodes. I’d love to see some visualization of it all, it has to be fascinating.

E- hey whoops there’s more posts since this one, my bad

LividLiquid posted:

The Youtube model. Raw number of views, time watched, and viewer retention across episodes and seasons.

They have better data than studios have literally ever had ever. This isn't a small sampling of people filling out notebooks of what they watched, representing thousands and thousands of people where ad rates (and thus, revenue) are only measured four times per year on sweeps weeks. It's actual, real data that represents exactly what people who pay for your service are paying for.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DarklyDreaming posted:

Openly vandalizing public property and potentially facing massive fines to own the libs

Sadly a code enforcement citation doesn’t sound as bad as the full weight of tree law

https://twitter.com/lacontroller/status/1681456466732130304?s=46&t=oql5ML5-7u4J72W8bn7HAw

I hope I’m wrong

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Happy for the writers, optimistic for the actors.

Spoilered for negativity amidst happy news. Don’t read it
Pessimistic about my own union fighting for pay increases and safety/quality of life improvements. Our membership loves undermining our own collective power. Work will start back up and it’ll be the same as before, only more rushed. I will be happy to get paid but don’t share the desire to unquestioningly work myself to death that so many of my brothers and sisters have.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

abelwingnut posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-guild-strike-end-1235600992/

“This allows writers to return to work during the ratification process”

Aren’t they going to honor the actors’ picket lines?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

Aren’t they going to honor the actors’ picket lines?

Seriously though, the NYTimes is saying the writers begin going back to work on Wednesday. The sooner the better so I can get back to work eventually, but why are they supposedly going to cross the SAG lines now? I must be missing something

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maxwell Lord posted:

I imagine most of those writers are not working on set. I’m not sure how many offices are being picketed, SAG is more concerned with filming not taking place.

E- nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E- nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kurona_bright posted:

I'm not sure if WGA can continue to strike for SAG's sake when they've already struck a deal -- it might count as a solidarity strike, which is illegal in the US according to Wikipedia. I am definitely not an expert on labor law, so if someone else knows better please correct me :v:

You don’t need to be on strike to not take a job, but yes I think you’re right about solidarity strikes.