Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
From reading the article it sounds like the extension is mostly so the negotiators don't have to spend all day in the office on the 4th of loving July, but who the hell knows what happens after that. Would the union's membership have to abide by any sort of restrictions if they don't have an agreement by the 30th since they technically wouldn't have a contract anymore after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Soonmot posted:

It's an attempt to reframe the narrative as being that the kind and understanding studios are willing to negotiate, but those greedy bad writers walked out again!

If that's the case then I think they have seriously miscalculated on just what the public thinks of them. It's not just the WGA and SAG that's pissed at the studios right now, what with the endless cavalcade of price hikes, pulling whole shows and just extremely hostile business practices in general. If they're banking on public pressure to force the unions to cave then I think they're in for a nasty surprise.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Aprops of nothing, I looked up a plot synopsis of that Crater movie Disney pulled a while back just to see what that was about, and apparently the ending to that movie involves a successful strike action to demand better working conditions from some comically evil conglomerate.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

DarklyDreaming posted:

They've pulled a lot of new (as in less than a year old) movies and shows off the service in the past few months and pretty much everyone involved with their creation seems to think it's retaliation

Oh yeah, in fact I'm pretty sure I heard the exact same thing a while back, I just find it bitterly ironic given the circumstances.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So what would it mean, realistically, for any new or pending productions if WGA gets a deal signed while SAG-AFTRA's still on strike? Even if the writers are back on board, I can't imagine much will actually happen while the actors refuse to work.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Didn't someone mention a while back that the studios need to settle things up with the advertisers by October at the latest, or else all of next year is a complete wash?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Pixeltendo posted:

Maybe next time don't try and kill some trees,

Holy poo poo I almost forgot about that. What a loving wild ride this has been.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I saw that too. Basically no one wants to work for WB anymore because they're all rightly worried Zaslav is going to Zaslav their work into a vault or a shredder for a tax kickback leaving them with nothing to show on their resumes, demo reels and portfolios, so why work for Warner at all at this point?

Frankly I'm amazed it took so long for this to kick in - I guess people figured the initial killing spree was a one-and-done so they were willing to give WB the benefit of the doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Dawgstar posted:

Also for a large part of the audience, the MCU is done. Not like in kaput but they saw what they needed to see with Endgame as the endpoint. The new movies don't have the two big characters they really liked and even the characters in stuff they like have been in bad movies like Love & Thunder and Quantumania and for anybody else they have to do homework.

No genre stays on top for ever but Disney in their greed really hurried it along.

I feel like Disney could have at least offset this a bit if they had any kind of clear throughline for whatever phase they're in now, but the latest batch of films has just felt so disjointed and all over the place. The Infinity Gems featuring as MacGuffins spread through the films might have been pretty minor in retrospect but drat at least it was something - everyone knew Infinity Gems = Infinity Gauntlet = Thanos, it was a simple but effective way to get people on board and invested for what was to come. This latest phase feels like its just spinning its wheels or going off on weird tangents that don't amount to anything when it isn't just throwing up its arms and going "MULTIVERSE" *Jazz Hands*.

If you want to get me on board again, give me something that's more than just some uncomfortable reminder that you guys iced one of your biggest competitors just to get at those sweet Fox IP's or the implicit threat of an in-cannon reset button that could invalidate over a decade of work. They seemed to be trying to go that way with Kang but now that's become an uncomfortable reminder of the Johnathan Majors assault charges.