Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Apparently only 19 days left of filming, so not that big of an impact.

House of the Dragon is gearing up to shoot an entire season without writers to tweek the scripts as they go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The gently caress

https://twitter.com/cogman_bryan/status/1654148618444521478

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm interested to see how Apple deals with this since it doesn't licence content. Their proposition is, with the occasional exception, that their service is for their originals only.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Tony Gilroy blink twice if the Disney lawyer who showed you that memo has a gun to your head

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah SAG-AFTRA, wish that the DGA had come along for the ride too.

They still might if their members vote against that "tentative" deal

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

quote:

"Either the studios owe untold millions to their talents and paying it out will decimate their stock prices, or they owe so little because there really is no money in streaming and the bubble of their entire 21st century business model will burst in spectacular fashion."

I think we're about to find out which.

My hunch is the former for some of the big shows and the latter for the average streaming show

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

It's entirely possible that A24 is paid a flat fee from streamers for x amount of time on a service, but that's just my idea.

My hunch is that if the streaming data ever comes out it's going to show that licenced content like this often performs a lot lot lot better than original programming and that the streamers have been massively underpaying rights holders.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The book is filled with little short story type asides about Pennywise Pennywising throughout the history of the town. I hope they do the one where they turn in to the Creature from the Black Lagoon and rip a kid apart limb from limb.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 9, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Rollie Fingers posted:

Not that I expect most Americans to care, but the CEOs prolonging the strike is having a devastating effect on the VFX industry around the world, which their money spinning blockbusters and TV shows rely on.

If there's no deal this autumn, by the new year I'm guessing 75% of VFX artists around the world will be out of work and a significant chunk won't return. There's already a shortage of seniors in the field so brain drain will absolutely affect delivering shots on big and mid budget films in the future.

I'm curious, will people find work in the other film industries like those in China and India that are increasingly driven by digital effects spectacles?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

Does anyone know what the average budget for a direct-to-streaming movie is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The secret to the sauce is Kevin Feige. To say 'overworked executive' sounds really weird to say but is kind of true in this specific instance since Disney decided they needed a content mill to boost up D+ with a new series coming out just in time to take over for the next one so people didn't drop D+ like they do other streaming services until something new comes back so they had Feige overseeing a ton of stuff and a lot of things slipped through the cracks. It was also stuff the average moviegoer has no interest in seeing since until Endgame MCU pictures felt like an Event, but with D+ series and late-stage capitalism throwing Disney into the throes of 'must have a billion dollar picture every quarter or more' now they're the actual equivalent of going down to the comic store every week for your new issues and few people have the patience for that, especially when they're not very good.

I suspect the same thing happened with Kathleen Kennedy. Before Disney Star Wars she had a tremendous track record as a producer, then under The Mouse, like Feige during the same period, she was tasked with churning out content on an absurd schedule.