Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its wild how little residuals and royalties are now.

Back in the forties my great-aunt used to perform at piano bars and night clubs in LA. A certain old school country music artist happened to be there one night, liked the song, and bought the rights.

Our royalties are split between 2 of us (long story) but I tend to get $500-$1,000 bucks annually for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Important to note that streamers have different goals. Amazon wants people to subscribe to watch their stuff so people buy more things with Prime on their website. Disney cares about IP boosts in movies, toys, theme parks, and a billion other merchandising.

I have no loving clue what Hulu wants, to be fair.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You could tell me that Citadel's script was AI generated and I'd believe you.. Its staggeringly bad. And I'm a guy who took enjoyment from the critically panned Terminal List

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First, this is an awesome thread! I've learned so much from y'all.

I find it morbidly amusing that we've traveled the globe to end up right back where we started. Its clear that subscription ad-free content doesn't work long term. The Pajiba article is bang on. I think we'll get used to have commercials again relatively quickly, once most of the industry shifts back to it. The user experience for nearly every platform and service has gotten appreciably worse in the past five years and there's no solution to it. poo poo sucks.

The other ticking time bomb is that most people under age 30 don't watch TV much at all. Networks will continue trudging out NCIS and Chicago Fire/Med/Food Cart Vendor shows for every last dollar. Streamers (grouped very loosely here) can cobble together Gen Z, milennial, and boomer to build... some sort of audience.

But beyond that, it gets bleak.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This sounds silly but poo poo like the tree pruning matters. I've organized my fair share of demonstrations and sit-ins; its incredible how astonishingly petty it can get.

We once had the cops called on us because a member of congress got their shoes scuffed by grass. We ran into local city ordinances that dictated how much of the sidewalk you can legally block and it literally came down to centimeters - we ended up giving our captains measuring tape to check.

City Council also tried to kick us out of the downtown area and told us we could exercise our right to protest by.... only being able to gather at an empty field miles away. We luckily had civil rights orgs swoop in and scare the poo poo out of them. Even ginned up some bad press that pissed off the Chamber of Commerce.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its crazy how much of streaming is just a black box for writers. My great-aunt wrote a country song that me and my cousin occasionally get royalties to. It ended up in one of Netflix's original movies and it was kind've cool to see the country-by-country breakdown. Not sure why, but Netflix Poland was a big line item.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

During the last strike I don't remember any "I wrote for an award-winning show and get residuals less than a dollar" stories catching fire. This time around nearly everyone I know supports the strikers and heard some sort of story like that.

Much easier to get your message across when your opponents is scrooge mc'ducking their vaults while writers and actors freeze.

Important to note the weird dichotomy happening in the labor market here in the states. Overall membership of unions is STILL down from last year, .argely due to yet more "right to work" law fuckery and the shrinking of unionized industries.

But NEW unions and union memberships are up across the board and I feel like public sentiment has really turned against CEOs in the last few years.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Amell has a long history of being an absolute shitbag on social media so I'm more surprised he had a moment of clarity and tried to delete the posts

Wait, what? can anyone provide a summary?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a big Amell fan (Heels is great, for the record) but yeah, not the best choice of words here.

His pissy attitude reminds me a lot of film directors during the pandemic. Multiple big names went on the record that watching a movie at home would taint or somehow ruin their art. There was a loving pandemic that forced cities to create makeshift morgues. Sorry that seeing Wonder Woman 1984 at a "proper" venue wasn't high on my list.

Veering back on topic, this definitely isn't the last time we'll see this. I'm sure we'll see more actors express frustration, say something lovely, then hurriedly fall back in line.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

When I went to see D&D in the theaters, they had this little thing at the beginning where Chris Pine told me that they may fight a lot of monsters and Red Wizards of Thay but me, in the theater, I was the REAL hero for seeing a movie the way it was meant to be seen. Most of the cast had the good decency to look vaguely embarrassed.

Tom Cruise had a fun "thank you" video that played with Top Gun Maverick that did a similar thing, except infinitely better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOQS3BSYho

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its comical because California is supposed to be the land of regulation (and I guess we kinda are - RIP to my menthol cigarettes).

We'll create massive needed legislation to regulate and protect workers - and then carve out massive exceptions for the entertainment industry.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This definitely feels different. There's so much animosity radiating from these tech bro bullshitters this time. Still surprised they went on record saying "we'll gleefully get them evicted, gently caress the poor" like a week into the strike.

C-suite executives in every industry really, really don't understand how much public sentiment has turned against them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work in politics and bashing the poo poo out of corporations (especially CEOs) is wildly popular across every demographic.

Its one of the reasons the GOP is in a weird bind - most traditional elected officials signed up to lower taxes and gently caress over workers - but that's incredibly unpopular among their base. So part of the pivot to other issues is because they know your normal "pro-business" message is horseshit.

For more on the myth of the meritocracy in Hollywood, go read Mo Ryan's Burn It Down.

Probably the best insight into how truly hosed up the industry remains.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I imagine there's going to be a full court press to blame the lack of new TV on the strikers in the fall. Outside of losing late night TV most average folks haven't felt the impact of the strike yet - that's going to change very quickly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.vulture.com/2023/09/2023-sag-and-wga-strike-picket-line-updates-week-9.html

Curious to see if that number will decrease as the strike continues...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Time is a flat circle

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/15/18225269/streaming-future-cable-netflix-hulu-disney

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There are few things better than the absolute open contempt Stewart and Conan showed during the strike.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm an idiot - what happens once we have a deal? WGA members still have to vote on it, right? And even if the WGA strike is resolved, what does that do for SAG?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As someone who's only glancingly been a part of union organizing: Well loving done! Negotiating something like this is much more difficult than it looks, and it already looks difficult as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Christ.