Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Also Sarandos was bragging that Netflix can source content from outside the US to plug gaps, so I'd actually doubt it'll be them.

The joke is now Netflix is being unforgivably delayed in shows they'll cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I read an interesting observation that the execs aren't hip to the fact that thanks to Twitter how much of the revolution has been televised and people see writers and assorted creatives as peoples, if nothing else to see how they dunk on the higher ups.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is what these guys don't realize everybody can see now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Ninja'd on the guilds forming like Voltron against the producers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's amazing (except it's not) that of all the execs in the streaming industry Netflix's think they deserve even more money. Because of their rich history of recent successes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly if the Teamsters are against you I'd just throw in the towel now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Hell yes. My 94 year old grandfather was still receiving his Teamster pension last year when he passed away. I think my 93 year old grandmother still receives some of it, or got a payout when he died? He always said they took care of them.

I'm also given to understand that a lot more folks are organized under the Teamsters than most folks realize. Maybe even execs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's an interesting response. Basically in the hyper late-stage capitalism world they've created, they literally can't afford to let things go on long enough:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1678960256586776576

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dunno, I genuinely think the studios - along with all companies, basically - have shot themselves in the foot with training shareholders to only expect exponential growth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The little supervillain monologue from AMPTP probably helped this along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

From Twitter: "TIL that when SAG went on strike in 1960, the writers had already been on strike for five weeks and the studios brought in a federal mediator to find resolution.

Their main issue was residuals and a lack of transparency on the 12-year-old "new medium" of broadcasting."

Hmmm. You know? Hmmm.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

[clutches pearls, rushes to fainting couch] oh no, goodness me, the filthy writers and actors are being most uncouth and disruptive! remind me how much money you made last year, Bob

Why, over 45 million! I'm glad he's here to tell people how much they should make.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Again, this praise may not have extended outside of Florida. It may have had more to do with the parks (like the new FastPass system, or whatever they're calling it. Genie+, I think?). And it was always dumb anyway.

If I remember right it was the Park People who were really thankful he was back, yeah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The DGA looking really good about now, huh?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I see we're in the "Look I know you hate me but think of the economy :qq:" phase of labor negotiations

At this rate SDCC might just be about comics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why I'm sure that's plenty to live on in the famously cheap bustling metropolis known as Los Angeles!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1680720631984422912?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remulak posted:

And the dude is so terrible it’s too short.

The podcast honestly leaves out a lot and kind of rambles on vaguely related stuff, even if it's entertaining. I'd recommend the book they got a lot of it from, Ringmaster by Abraham Josephine Riesman. Learn such amazing tidbits as how Vince for years has bragged him and his friends would regularly beat up Marines and this is extremely untrue!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

The 'winning play', as it were, is for the studios to run out of new content. Without new content, people will slowly tune out and you anger the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named advertising.

Some folks have commented that given how razor thin the margins are the studios can't afford a bad quarter but are counting on the unions folding before they're given a bad quarter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And none of this is new. One of the classic examples is Sergeant Slaughter. He built his entire persona on rah rah Marine/American exceptionalism, enough so that Hasbro hired him to be an actual member of the GI joe cartoon/action figures and to be the live action face of it.

When he was done with the cartoon and wanted to come back to wrestling, during Desert Storm, McMahon would only hire him back if he agreed to a heel turn and publicly denounced the US Military in favor of the Iraqi National Guard.

What's funny is of course Sarge didn't serve a single day of active duty so it's basically all, I believe the term is, stolen valor. He even gets twitchy if somebody uses his finishing move the Cobra Clutch and so does his daughter who isn't even a wrestler but is trying to be a Media Personality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argyle posted:

Oh and that $824 is before taxes.

A friend's father sold a couple of scripts to Star Trek: The Next Generation and said syndication rate was 12.5K. Story alone was four grand. Rooting for you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Whatever his motivation, it's a good thing that is going to help a lot of people which in turn will help to keep the pressure on the studios.

Yeah, if you told me it was political I'd nod and shrug. And if it inspires other actors with millions to burn then hey, go with God.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://theintercept.com/2023/07/25/strike-hollywood-ai-disney-netflix/
Neflix offering 900K for an AI product manager.

Pulling a Lionel Hutz and altering their card from "No AI jobs" to "No, AI jobs!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

2- Even with glowing interviews by mainstream entertainment news sources, most studio execs are coming across as loving vampires to the average person

I've seen it said some places that executives aren't used to this sort of thing being so public and they were sort of vaguely counting on societal pressure to get those greedy writers and artists back to work and that's just not happening to any great extent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Even with the Hollywood press in the tank for them. It's bananas.

:dance:

I didn't realize - but am not surprised - that Variety, Deadline etc., were owned by the same member of the AMPTP which explains a lot of articles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stick to salmon ladders, Amell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narcissus1916 posted:

His pissy attitude reminds me a lot of film directors during the pandemic. Multiple big names went on the record that watching a movie at home would taint or somehow ruin their art. There was a loving pandemic that forced cities to create makeshift morgues. Sorry that seeing Wonder Woman 1984 at a "proper" venue wasn't high on my list.

When I went to see D&D in the theaters, they had this little thing at the beginning where Chris Pine told me that they may fight a lot of monsters and Red Wizards of Thay but me, in the theater, I was the REAL hero for seeing a movie the way it was meant to be seen. Most of the cast had the good decency to look vaguely embarrassed.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more Amells so far. There's a lot of lovely people with big egos in Hollywood who are addicted to attention. You'd think a SAG-AFTRA strike would be rife with folks looking to scab out because they just can't loving help it, but the solidarity so far has been extremely impressive.

Wasn't it kind of up in the air if Fran Drescher herself would go for the strike at first?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Also Mr Beast has decided to promote the new animated TMNT movie on social media due to having a part in it. Although I imagine he's not going to be invited back for any more movie cameos any time soon.

According to Beast comma Mister, this was something he got that contract for being an influencer and thus has an exception or somesuch. I'm not even saying he's lying or anything, it's just out of my wheelhouse to explain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1687159110515724288

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/writergeekrhw/status/1687692281242161152

Just as a reminder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argyle posted:

The general public is also very aware of the ever-changing and increasingly lovely streaming landscape, and how the streaming business model is affecting their viewing habits. Older network shows move from platform to platform, Netflix notoriously cancels their own shows no matter how passionate the fans are.

I mean, 1899 was Netflix’s #2 most watched show for 3 consecutive weeks when it debuted, and then they cancelled it 2 months later. It’s insane. If people watching a show doesn’t make it successful, then what the gently caress defines success anymore? And why would a viewer invest any time into a show if even the most popular shows are at risk for cancellation at any time, just because they don’t hit some arbitrary metric set by an algorithm?

Viewers are definitely frustrated at the business, and I’m seeing lots of public support for the writers from average people (aside from the chuds who think everyone who works in TV is automatically a zillionaire).

And now shows are just being memory holed out of nowhere and seemingly at random.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It's still kind of wild that the live action Cowboy Bebop went form apparently breaking all sorts of viewership records for Netflix and debuting in their #1 slot to "Yeah, we just cancelled it. Goodbye." in practically a single week. And that was irrespective of whatever terrible quality it might have had or the shitstorm around it during its debut from anime fans and chuds alike (though I repeat myself).

Yeah, I used to think it was the budget that torpedoed a show and I guess it might still be but who honestly knows? That Gabriel Iglesias show couldn't have had a huge budget and it got the axe and people seemed to like it in that generically inoffensive sitcom sort of way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Tyranicus/status/1688281691968913408

So here's a dumb question - Beltran was talking about Star Trek Voyager. Every show done by for example here Paramount is considered struck?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

I guess the cons aren't considered contracted appearances?

Apparently if the con invites you, it's fine. If the studio sends you out, it's not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Related apparently South Korea's actors' union is upset with Netflix because they won't meet with the union over, you guessed it, higher pay.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ilmucche posted:

It feels like netflix has been loading up on non-american content for a while though

Yeah, I watched a K-drama called My Name the other day and it was 'Netflix original' which the Korean union might understandably and well they should mean 'if we're doing this for you we deserve a bigger cut' and I'm going to assume because it's Netflix they absolutely do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1691909149729439757

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tree Reformat posted:

The leadership for the DGA straight up sold them out and it burns me up whenever I think about it.

I recall reading somewhere, so grain of salt, that part of the DGA capitulating so quickly was they don't actually like having writers on the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember the idea that Bob Iger coming back would be an improvement? Good times.

(This was, admittedly, a view held primarily by Disney Park Habitués - like the ones who go every day - who felt his predecessor neglected them or something.)