Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hawkperson posted:

So what can a non-writer, non-entertainment type do support the strikers? Looks like WGA has a pretty hefty strike fund (good) and some designs for use on social media. Anything else I should check out?

Probably not that much other then not supporting any content that is made during the strike without the writers.

Kind of like how there's not much someone not involved can do with any union strikes.

The people striking actively hurt the bottom line of the executives and networks, so it forces them to negotiate to find a solution. Although I guess it also hurts the people striking since they are not working either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Most streaming services these days, are just owned by their parent cable company / network.

Peacock is just NBCUniversal's catalog (and owned by Comcast).
Paramount Plus is just Paramount & their catalog.
HBO Max and Discovery Plus are both under WB.

HBO Max currently has the streaming rights for South Park, but they got that license before Paramount Plus launched, and pretty sure Paramount Plus is getting the catalog in 2024 after the license ends.

Hulu is currently 75% owned by Disney and 25% by Comcast, so there's shows from both companies in there. But I think Disney has the option to buy out Comcast next year.

Netflix still holds on to a lot of licensing deals before the cable companies started their own streaming services, so they still have a lot of shows but I'm not sure if they have successfully held on to any streaming rights from shows where the contract has come up for renewal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a real struggle when you have to Yacht pool to the festival.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Enderzero posted:

The idea that they can’t get proper residuals for streaming now seems insane because I swear I remember in 2008 that was a sticking point that the wga caved in because streaming was so new and was worth nothing - at the time. I remember South Park guys making fun of them for blocking a deal over such small potatoes.

For what it's worth though, South Park made fun of WGA wanting streaming residuals... after Matt & Trey (mostly Matt) had negotiated their own contract which included digital streaming. Arguably a lot of their ongoing success is from holding out for that... They get 50% of all ad revenue & syndication from South Park.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Does seem the WGA isn't as concerned about promoting work. The Always Sunny podcast kept going during the writers strike, but once the actors strike started, they had to stop making podcasts promoting Always Sunny.