Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LividLiquid posted:

They've got the studios by the balls here. Not the other way around. And it's not like the old days where everybody was living high on the hog, comparably speaking, to the rest of us. Most actors and writers make less than a waiter right now. They can keep striking and probably make more.
With the rumor of Max removing shows like Venture Bros, and if checking Wikipedia to see many more episodes of Righteous Gemstones before I cancel, I came across this on Valyn Hall's (Aunt Tiffany) page:

quote:

In a 2022 Reddit AMA in the r/television subreddit, Hall shared that in addition to her acting career, she is also employed as a UI engineer
Actors slumming as waiters early in their carteers or doing theater later seems common to me, but a software engineer? Yeah, she and others don't need the studios if they're insistent on pulling this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DarklyDreaming posted:

1- This strike is a lot easier to explain. For most people in 2008 the vibe for the WGA strike was "I dunno something about the internet" Now that everyone streams stuff it's easier to break down how Netflix isn't paying them enough
Wasn't it also within the timeframe of the beginning of the "Great Recession" where many people had lost their jobs and, while obviously uninformed, gave rise to an unfortunate general attitude of "they should be happy they have jobs at all!"?

I think America is also currently suffering through obvious price gouging while hearing "record profits" in various places (e.g. ,groceries) so I can see a much wider support for "gently caress the corporations!" than in 2008.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
If there was no money from streaming, wouldn't they be crying about that since day one?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

FlamingLiberal posted:

A few shows that have already been on streaming for awhile are going to be on network TV like I believe Star Trek: Strange New Worlds for CBS is one, and Ms. Marvel on ABC (on two Saturdays) for another.
Putting previously streaming content on broadcast seems like a wildcard in the studios favor?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Happy Landfill posted:

She went over some of the specifics of the AI stipulations on Twitter and it is Not Great

https://twitter.com/JustineBateman/status/1723505358227042601?s=20
"Goddamn computer nerds loving up our season!"

(awesome for her!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah that thread from Justine Bateman (who I don't know and don't bear any ill will towards) is quite over the top.
She was in a family sitcom in the 80s with the guy who later made those time traveling in a car movies. Her brother was in a show 20 years ago where he was the brother that had no choice but to keep his family all together.