Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

So what can a non-writer, non-entertainment type do support the strikers? Looks like WGA has a pretty hefty strike fund (good) and some designs for use on social media. Anything else I should check out?

I guess don't watch anything made during the strike if you're a Nielson household or on streaming or in the cinema. Prove that scab or non-scripted content doesn't draw eyes.

There's plenty of stuff that's still airing that was made before the strike so there's some leeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Neil Gaiman (gross) did a pretty good post on how to support the strike if you're a bystander

https://www.tumblr.com/neil-gaiman/716253676074942464/hello-ive-seen-you-posting-detailed-information

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Pardon my ignorance on the topic but most people more educated than me on the battle seem to agree that the execs and rich folk don't actually see this as a matter of dollars, since their fortunes are assured regardless, but one of principles - that it's more seeing the creatives as leeches who rely on the good will and financial backing of studio owners to do anything, and that they need to send a message to the creatives to stay in their place. If that's the case and they can simply just never engage with the WGA/SAG and opt to wait until they all become desperate and homeless, what's the winning play here? Just like, hope it suddenly does become about dollars at some point (and that said point is sooner than it is for the workers)? I'm not really familiar with how things of this scale go. Unionizing my old office was one thing because the owners were simply normal rich, not "insane billionaire media owners" rich, this seems completely different.

Because of Hollywood production times and schedules, plus the ability to create non-union or non-striking union (including internationally) products, a lot of the pain is in the relatively distant future. So the bosses can just put things off for a while on the hope that they can rush production to fill in the gap caused by the strike, or have enough back log just to wait 'em out. Fortunately, actors are actually important to the promotion of the shows and movies unlike writers so there's some more immediate pain coming down the pike.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol Disney always goes through these periodic episodes of intense brand dilution before scaling back and focusing on releasing just a few quality products to build back audience trust

incredibly there's been like 3 or 4 of these periods without killing the company