Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Apparently only 19 days left of filming, so not that big of an impact.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeeeeesh. Why the hell does Amazon keep giving these HUGE budget shows to showrunners with little (or lovely) experience? They did it with Wheel of Time, Rings of Powerbottom, and soon to be God of War.

Because tech companies are bad at making media, plain and simple. For Rings of Power, they fielded pitches for their very expensive license and picked the one they liked the most. By all accounts, it was the best idea of the bunch, and a clever take on the limited rights they had access to. So they moved forward with it regardless of the talent involved, regardless of who the guys who came up with the idea were. And then they just let them make a show they were wildly unqualified to make. It probably sounded like a good idea because Peter Jackson wasn't a AAA director either. They missed the part where he was an incredibly talented and capable director beforehand, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I dunno, I genuinely think the studios - along with all companies, basically - have shot themselves in the foot with training shareholders to only expect exponential growth.

No, they've shot the rest of us, in the back

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boomers are gonna eat that the hell up

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

I get the feeling a lot of these guys believe that being CEO of Warner/Disney/Paramount entitles them to a certain admiration by default that other CEO's don't get. Which yeah, I probably hate them less than whoever's in charge of Exxon Mobil right now but who respects the guys at the top of Disney after Walt died?

You probably shouldn't dip your toes into Disney-related YouTube media.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I remember when the "Netflix cancels after season 2 because of residuals" was spoken about like a conspiracy theory, what, 3 years ago?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cowboy Bebop was directed like a web series. Sure much of it looked cheap as hell otherwise, but I think that's why it ultimately feels so amateurish. Which makes sense when you look at both the directors resumes, which do have a few beight spots, but are mainly mediocre low budget TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But at least David Zaslav earned half a billion dollars last year in doing so.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lol that's been the main sticking point with the writers I know. They're hyper-aware of further opportunities and advancement being nil if mini-rooms become/remain the norm.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Argyle posted:

lol jesus christ what is happening in this industry

Tech companies have taken over

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the core issue with streaming residuals. They were put in place when that meant a cheap webseries.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 23, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lol what ghouls.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The antenna TV I get over my Roku TV doesn't feel significanty different than the last time I watched cable 10 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is the present you're describing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC they draw a distinction between something that has been fully generated by an AI and parts of a work that are human-generated. So you could generate a script, then have a writer take a second pass at it and copyright the derivative work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

This... seems like a good thing? Haven't we all been yelling for more mid-budget films for years?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Looks like the streamers are already starting to regroup from all this:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1706763068246728748

Good thing the labor unions are legally barred from doing the same thing, otherwise it would be unfair to the studios

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fred Astaire selling vacuum cleaners in a superbowl was the real start of it all, and what got thr legal rights conversation going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Exploring ancient shows yet unseen is the best, though