Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

Appreciate the Late Night hosts stopping their shows in support. That's good poo poo right there.

I hope they get everything they're demanding. In fact, I hope they get more.

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653411437836943362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume the first one will be purposefully leaning into the gimmick and the novelty of it being kinda nonsense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1678053772965339137

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SAG-AFTRA strike will be announced at 12pm PDT today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cast of Oppenheimer was at the London premiere and they all walked out to join the strike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1680943763382849536?t=pUf9Avjh6yeodNSv32MLIA&s=19
I'm enjoying how Discussing Film is wording their shutdown tweets

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CBS' plan is to basically poach their streaming shows for network.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah HotD s2 is still filming because they're all Equity.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dwayne-johnson-donation-sag-aftra-foundation-strike-relief-fund-1235678671/
The Rock has made the largest ever donation to the SAG-AFTRA relief fund. The exact amount is being kept confidential but according to the article it was seven figures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like there's two factors:

1- This strike is a lot easier to explain. For most people in 2008 the vibe for the WGA strike was "I dunno something about the internet" Now that everyone streams stuff it's easier to break down how Netflix isn't paying them enough

2- Even with glowing interviews by mainstream entertainment news sources, most studio execs are coming across as loving vampires to the average person

Yeah, it definitely helps the pro-strike side when the studios are literally saying "we want them to become homeless so they have to accept whatever we want."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Theater chains are probably looking to get bought out by a studio since the laws against that are no more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ninurta posted:

The season 2 promotional campaign for Hells is really weird.

Even if it was he's still not supposed to be doing it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

I uh, really hope these people are also donating to the Writers, too. I'm super happy to hear this for SAG but I also hope the same love is shown to the WGA fund as well. Last I heard they were hurting for donations

C'mon Stephen King, we know you can personally bankroll this strike for years.

Seth MacFarlane recently donated $1 million to the Entertainment Community Fund which is more for everyone affected by the shutdown and not just actors.

Also Mr Beast has decided to promote the new animated TMNT movie on social media due to having a part in it. Although I imagine he's not going to be invited back for any more movie cameos any time soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

Has he done something other than "be popular" to garner these opinions?

There was the time he tried to get his followers (who are mostly children) to do work for him for free by telling them to go to stores and clean up the displays for his candy bars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

From what I understand for why high viewership new shows still get cancelled, it’s usually because watchers don’t actually finish the shows. Meaning those viewers watch the first few episodes and then bail for whatever reason. So that means they can’t be counted on to be there for a season 2. So while show X may have amazing numbers, not enough are even bothering to watch through to the end.

They also don't really care about US numbers since that market is pretty saturated and doesn't get new users. So if something is popular in America but flops overseas it'll get canned (see The Babysitter's Club)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

SAG-AFTRA members can't promote work they did under a SAG-AFTRA contract. Fans are free to go and say the word V*lcan as much as they want. Ideally, performers wouldn't appear at the convention at all during the strike.

Yeah, Zachary Levi was just complaining about this at some recent convention. Although he was quick to clarify that he is behind the strike 100%

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The data we already have pretty much already shows this with Suits (which just got added to Netflix) topping Neilsen's streaming numbers saying the show wracked up 3 billion minutes of views from the end of June. A writer for the show says that this surge has not translated at all to residuals getting about $400 for an episode they wrote.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/garyJackson/status/1690356962825842689
Christ. WBD really did open the floodgates of lovely streamer behavior.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1692570822446137425
That seems like a very Charlie Kaufman thing to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-walking-dead-spinoffs-interview-with-the-vampire-to-resume-production-sag-aftra-deal-1235533050/

AMC has made a deal with SAG-AFTRA where Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live and Interview with the Vampire can resume filming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its easy to forget about it now but Suits was minorly ground breaking for its time by being the first USA show to go "what if we just said the swears?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Oh come on, just make the Dark Tower if you want to turn a King thing into a sprawling media franchise!

Amazon is doing that with Mike Flanagan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1701110118870659085
A Twitter thread about what exactly is going on in regards to Drew Barrymore's talk show and the plans to bring it back. Basically she isn't violating SAG-AFTRA strike rules since talk shows are under a different agreement which is currently valid (as long as she doesn't promote struck work) but it does fall under WGA's strike and so having the show at all means that someone is doing work that should be done by a WGA writer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I thought some of the talk shows went on during the previous writer’s strike, albeit without writers. I recall the hosts doing a lot of improvisation. Is there a reason why talk shows are downing tools this time?

My understanding is that previous writers strike the wording around talk shows was vague but the rules about it have been subsequently tightened. Which is why everyone stopped when the strike happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out everybody shouting at you works because Drew Barrymore has agreed to stop production of her show until the strike is resolved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haven't seen any news yet but did want to share this little tidbit.
https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/1705023660619346224
Drew Carrey has been paying the tab at a restaurant down the street from the WB lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they really did concede then I guess we can expect to see a SAG deal soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Do sports promos and commercials not count regarding the actors strike? I was at the Prudential Center yesterday, and they had Patrick Warburton filming a promo or something on the ice. Made me do a doubletake.

I don't know about sports promos but commercials where you already had a contract were not covered by the strike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC nowadays the primary cast all have special phone lines installed at their homes so they can literally phone in their performances.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I re-watched Doctor Sleep the other night and turns out you can do very well with casting folks who resemble the original actors.

The Luke thing was extra dumb because if you look at the stand in he looks a ton like young Mark Hamill already. Nobody would have complained if it was just him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Isn't there a finished season of Snow Piercer someone is sitting on for tax cheating?

Yeah it probably would have happened with the most recent season of Miracle Workers too but they messed up and accidentally released the first episode.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Canceling a TV show and not airing completed episodes isn't something that was invented in 2023.

Most of the time they don't cancel a show that's already filmed an entire season that hasn't aired yet. Also there's the recent trend of unreleasing shows and movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Keanu specifically has it written into his contracts that they can't change his performance in post. Although I assume actors with less pull probably can't get that in.