Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

to be entirely fair the article concludes that GPT generated stuff is not as good as an actual comedian, but it even hedges that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Open Source Idiom posted:

Imagine working in news and then writing this.

it is mindbogglingly tone-deaf lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Narcissus1916 posted:

Important to note that streamers have different goals. Amazon wants people to subscribe to watch their stuff so people buy more things with Prime on their website. Disney cares about IP boosts in movies, toys, theme parks, and a billion other merchandising.

I have no loving clue what Hulu wants, to be fair.

you could say that about most of them that don't show ads, e.g.

max: just show off WBD properties...?
paramount+: just show off paramount properties...?
netflix: ...just stream stuff and license it?
apple: ...sell apple stuff?

i mean, we don't really know what their ultimate motives are, even if some of them are easy to guess (like disney or amazon). i don't think they necessarily know either, and that's a big part of the problem

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

feedmyleg posted:

Apparently only 19 days left of filming, so not that big of an impact.

Because tech companies are bad at making media, plain and simple. For Rings of Power, they fielded pitches for their very expensive license and picked the one they liked the most. By all accounts, it was the best idea of the bunch, and a clever take on the limited rights they had access to. So they moved forward with it regardless of the talent involved, regardless of who the guys who came up with the idea were. And then they just let them make a show they were wildly unqualified to make. It probably sounded like a good idea because Peter Jackson wasn't a AAA director either. They missed the part where he was an incredibly talented and capable director beforehand, though.

honestly this is pretty close to how they operate with tech services or software too. since that makes them a ton of money they probably figured it would work (and tech people, particularly in management, think they know better than anyone else anyway). it's the same reason why teslas are insanely lovely cars

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hollywood Reporter's been giving me an anti-strike vibe,

of course they are. if nothing gets made, there's nothing for them to report on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

good on them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the AMPTP's position is absolutely insane (this was also from twitter, but there's really nothing you need to know except the above context)

"yeah they'll probably starve and become homeless, then we've got those greedy writers!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Snowy posted:

:( I have no other marketable skills though?

you work in VFX right? there's a lot of industries here that need visual artists, but if you still wanted to do entertainment stuff you could always consider going overseas. i know it's not easy or even possible for some people, but it is an option

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i refuse to believe they don't know what's popular. most of the viewers for those services use some kind of app — on a phone, tv, tablet, computer, it doesn't matter. they track the absolute gently caress out of you, collecting minutes used, what you tapped on, how long you looked at a certain page, how often you log in, your browsing history, search history, poo poo like that. they know who watches what and for how long. there is no way they're collecting that information and not doing anything with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

teen witch posted:

(trying to stop direct linking to former twit site because gently caress that creepy little turd)

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/03/stephen-amell-wild-in-court-after-losing-to-animal-rescue/

what a dick. that article ends with noting he drunkenly beat his wife on an airplane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Lol he's absolutely a huge rear end in a top hat but you don't have to make things up. He yelled at her on a plane and got kicked off there's no report of anything physical.

admittedly i didn't care enough to look it up but this:

quote:

Amell’s purported temper has made headlines in the past. The “Code 8” star was removed from a flight in 2021 after getting into an altercation with his wife, whom he married in 2012.

“I mean, maybe I destroyed my entire life, my entire career? So, I think, ultimately, very ashamed of it, trying to make amends for it, specifically with my wife,” he later said during an appearance on “Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum” podcast.

“I had too many drinks, and I had too many drinks in a public place, and I got on a plane,” he confessed. “I was pissed off about something else that had nothing to do with Cass, my wife, and I picked a fight. Just picked a fight because I wanted to be loud and upset.”

The couple went on to welcome their second child after the plane incident.

certainly makes it sound like he hit her. apologies to stephen amell i guess, i should know better than to take something from page 6 at face value

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t know how much it may end up being enforced, but there are apparently SAG guidelines for people who cover media like influencers, and the union in those guidelines says that any people who cover struck shows may be denied future SAG membership

good, gently caress mr beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Looten Plunder posted:

Has he done something other than "be popular" to garner these opinions?

he is responsible for the scourge of youtube thumbnail face and should hang for that alone