Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqW49VhBJ4

Awesome interview with David Simon from the picket line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Who are the unions negotiating with? I know it's "the studios" but who exactly? I can't imagine the old school movie studios being on the same page as the Streamers. Wouldn't they all have differing interests? And then there is TV, wouldn't those studios have differing interests again?

Is it possible some of them agree with what the actors are asking for because it doesn't concern them?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Also, what happens if a writer/actor continues to work when they should be striking? Do you get fined or disbarred from the union/guild or something?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm interested to see the details of the actors/writers requests on residuals based on viewership numbers. Like, Lord of the Rings might become a hit on Amazon, but when the budget is like $700m, it's never gonna become profitable. But then you'd have something like Louie or Master of None that is zero budget and became super popular.

If services are already pulling shows on their services because they'd prefer not to have to pay the royalties for it existing l, I can see that problem becoming heaps more prevalent if a deal around this stuff ever happens.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Argyle posted:

WGA member here. My first episode of TV aired in 2018. It was for a successful network show that is also one of the most-watched shows on Hulu (a rep from Hulu told us that directly).

Over the past 5 years, my streaming residuals for that episode have added up to $824.00

That breaks down to $13.75 a month. Netflix (no ads) is now $15.49 a month. The residuals don't even cover the subscription cost for ONE streamer.

Oh and that $824 is before taxes.

How much do you think you would have made if what you're asking for on the new deal existed 5 years ago?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Also Mr Beast has decided to promote the new animated TMNT movie on social media due to having a part in it. Although I imagine he's not going to be invited back for any more movie cameos any time soon.

I somehow doubt Mr Beast is a card carrying SAG member

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean a young, suddenly-rich e-famous douchebazooka

Beeftweeter posted:

good, gently caress mr beast

Has he done something other than "be popular" to garner these opinions?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

Yeah I know of him but nothing outside of “I think kids like him” and “bad hamburger” and I’m fine with that being my breadth of knowledge

I've seen a few of his videos but won't pretend I know much about the guy, but with what he's done with the Clean Seas project, the tree planting project with Rober, the Cataract surgery stuff, the hearing aid stuff and the food bank stuff, he appears to be using his fame for a hell of a lot better things than the majority of celebrities.

I also watched some mini-doc on him to see what all the fuss was about, and holy poo poo, does that guy GRIND. Making a success out of YouTube sounds loving miserable.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I have still never forgiven Netflix for canceling Sense8 and The Getdown.

The Getdown was insanely expensive and no one watched it.