Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my partner's never seen the show before so we've been going thru season 1 & they're already hooked halfway thru it. i personally watched it all incrementally w/ a friend over the course of like a year and a half before so a lot of the earlier episodes are kinda foggy so it's like watchin them for the first time again which has pwned, especially w/ picking out the foreshadowing. perfect fuckin show, cant wait til we hit season 2 & really step on the gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the best thing about the sopranos that you can’t really explain to someone until they see it is that it’s absolutely one of the funniest shows of all time. sopranos ftw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you cant stop me from posting ralphie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Alaois posted:

you cant stop me from posting ralphie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

symbolic posted:

my partner's never seen the show before so we've been going thru season 1 & they're already hooked halfway thru it. i personally watched it all incrementally w/ a friend over the course of like a year and a half before so a lot of the earlier episodes are kinda foggy so it's like watchin them for the first time again which has pwned, especially w/ picking out the foreshadowing. perfect fuckin show, cant wait til we hit season 2 & really step on the gas

seasons 1 and 2 are perfect television. i can watch them over and over

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
S1e5 'college' is possibly one of my favourite episodes of TV of all time

buffalo all day posted:

the best thing about the sopranos that you can’t really explain to someone until they see it is that it’s absolutely one of the funniest shows of all time. sopranos ftw

Also this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i crack up every time i think i thnk about the telephone gag in pine barrens. one of the tensest episodes of tv ever and also one of my favorite laugh lines of all time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The jacket

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

TONY: "What the gently caress happened to Gary Cooper, that's what I'd like to know."

SILVIO: "...He died."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

carmine jr was my favorite character, every line of his was incredibly funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z56V_MzYTMo

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Woke up this morning, and got some Gabagool.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Plutonis posted:

carmine jr was my favorite character, every line of his was incredibly funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z56V_MzYTMo

Could listen to him all day every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJggSqCftgA

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the sacred and the propane

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"it's fifty one five vig-wise, artie. and technically, you already missed a payment"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

in all seriousness, the sopranos and the wire are my two favorite shows. this is probably a very white suburban american opinion, but i have watched them so many times.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tell us more

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just remembered Tony setting feech lamanna up with those stolen TVs...guy just wanted a chance to earn

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

tell us more

nah. but i'm watching the sopranos again :cheers:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

s_k_a_m_ posted:

in all seriousness, the sopranos and the wire are my two favorite shows. this is probably a very white suburban american opinion, but i have watched them so many times.

They're pretty good! I also watched The Shield after finishing The Wire back in the day, for a different spin on cop-related TV. I quite liked it, too - especially its ending! It wrapped everything up in such a satisfyingly unsatisfying way - such a good conclusion. Probably edges out over The Wire's conclusion actually, although I really liked that too.

Anyway, on-topic! Which episode is your favourite? I can't remember the name of it, but I'd probably have to go for the famous ep where that guy (a Russian or something, maybe?) was shot in the head but survived, then escaped Chris and Paulie in a national park somewhere, while they froze all night in a van.
Also, I'm still very much traumatized by those Billy Bass gag toys you find around the place, after Sopranos :D

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

They're pretty good! I also watched The Shield after finishing The Wire back in the day, for a different spin on cop-related TV. I quite liked it, too - especially its ending! It wrapped everything up in such a satisfyingly unsatisfying way - such a good conclusion. Probably edges out over The Wire's conclusion actually, although I really liked that too.

Anyway, on-topic! Which episode is your favourite? I can't remember the name of it, but I'd probably have to go for the famous ep where that guy (a Russian or something, maybe?) was shot in the head but survived, then escaped Chris and Paulie in a national park somewhere, while they froze all night in a van.

is that the pine barrens (S03E11)? that's an all-timer. My two favorites are probably College (S01E05) and Long Term Parking (S05E12). it's hard to pick though; i genuinely enjoy most of the series, even the dumb filler episodes. i am not sure why it appeals to me, but i enjoy rewatching it.

i have not watched the shield yet so maybe i will check it out. The Corner was also pretty good as a proto-wire show.

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I'm still very much traumatized by those Billy Bass gag toys you find around the place, after Sopranos :D
lol, same.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

s_k_a_m_ posted:

is that the pine barrens (S03E11)? that's an all-timer. My two favorites are probably College (S01E05) and Long Term Parking (S05E12). it's hard to pick though; i genuinely enjoy most of the series, even the dumb filler episodes. i am not sure why it appeals to me, but i enjoy rewatching it.

i have not watched the shield yet so maybe i will check it out. The Corner was also pretty good as a proto-wire show.

lol, same.

Oh yeah, Pine Barrens - that's the one! Very eerie in spots and kinda funny (in an incompetent-yet-somewhat-dark way), which was a memorable combo. But ohhh, yeah those two eps were pretty solid!

The Shield is pretty great! It tends to be a little more rough action oriented (even with the cops/protagonists) compared to stuff like The Wire, but they did a great job with it either way, IMO. I'll have to take a look at The Corner - it's especially interesting to see an actual US mini-series! Normally it's UK shows that fit that bill, rather than American ones

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

the sopranos is probably the best television series of all time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

very tough question, i'm not sure i could give a definitive answer even after i finish this rewatch. Pine Barrens, All Due Respect, and Long-Term Parking come to mind but they also seem like easy choices. really liked Pax Soprana when i watched it again, i feel like that's the ep where certain status quo stuff really starts beginning to shift. there's also Soprano Home Movies which while not too impactful on the overarching story stuff stuck with me just cuz of the family bonding & tension, and then the double-whammy series finale of Blue Comet and Made in America...gently caress lol, too many to settle on just one fav ep. Sopranos ftmfw!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

She must've crawled under there for warmth.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"why'd you hang that picture up?"
"well, you don't come around no more" :smith:

----------------

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

SILVIO: "I came to open up one morning & there you were with your head half in the toilet. Your hair was in the toilet water. Disgusting."
CHRISTOPHER: "I told you I had the flu!"
SILVIO: "I said my piece Chrissy."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's not a lawn jockey, that's a General!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Overrated. Fell off after season 3.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Overrated. Fell off after season 3.

hosed up but curious why

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

you got a bee-ah on you-a hat

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E40zuyDTF8&t=29s

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

hosed up but curious why

seasons 1-3: A+

everything after that: ehhh

kinda like how Oz was only good for 1 season, but it kept going until it became a loving clown show with guards and prisoners playing a basketball tournament against each other

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

kinda like how Oz was only good for 1 season, but it kept going until it became a loving clown show with guards and prisoners playing a basketball tournament against each other

i agree with both of these points, but it is also why these shows are endearing to me. they get ridiculous, but i don't feel like they are taking themselves seriously at that point. it is silly tv, but it is self-aware tv which seems to be pretty rare. most tv shows go on for seasons and seasons (i.e., the blacklist) and never realize how stupid they became.

i do need to watch oz again someday though; it has been forever since i watched it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol it definitely doesnt get as bad as oz does. i dont even think it gets bad bad, just after season 3 weve seen the shtick so many times that it doesnt shake up until the end when capos are droppin like flies

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

lol it definitely doesnt get as bad as oz does. i dont even think it gets bad bad, just after season 3 weve seen the shtick so many times that it doesnt shake up until the end when capos are droppin like flies

even then there's definitely highlight eps til season 6 comes along and everything's in jeopardy. Steve Buscemi ftw

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fungah! posted:

symbolic posted:

even then there's definitely highlight eps til season 6 comes along and everything's in jeopardy. Steve Buscemi ftw

Yeah, exactly! While watching it I was kinda wishing they'd shake things up a little more at times, during the mid- to late-seasons. But it was still very well done overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

you guys gonna post some more sopranos or........?

----------------